SilkRoad Technology Reviews in Winston-Salem, NC | Glassdoor

1.5
SilkRoad Technology President & CEO John Shackleton
John Shackleton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get to work from home occasionally, and there is no limit on PTO time (in 35 reviews)

• flexibility with hours and around projects is the best I have seen and is what keeps me here for the work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • profit share or 401k matching would have been nice (in 17 reviews)

• For the past few years there have been no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching (in 16 reviews)

1. "3 stars"

Former Employee - Entry Level in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Entry Level in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Boss was great to work for

Cons

Laid off due to financial issues the employees had no control of.

"It used to be a great company"

Former Employee - Sales in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Sales in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a job and they do pay you on time.

Cons

New management from the CEO down have taken what was a great culture and turned it into a very cold one. In what seemed like a calculated plan they got rid of all the older and loyal employees that truly cared about the company. The old motto of work fun was replaced by a robotic assembly line mentality. It is very odd this is a company that is supposedly in the business of helping companies better hire, retain, engage and motivate their employees when they don't care to do this themselves. Being a technology company too it is odd also their internal emails have been hacked numerous times and shared company wide and outside the company. Still odder is the content of these emails, including those from the Chief Human Resource Officer where he is advising managers on things like how to punish an employee for asking for a raise or calling other employees horrible names for reasons such as the company depends on their skills and knowledge too much.

Advice to Management

I am not sure there is anything to say to this kind of management as they are set in their ways and don't believe they are capable of change.

"Sinking Ship with Idiot CEO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual Dress, and occasional work from home opportunities. But that doesn't outweigh the cons.

Cons

No one knows what is going on. Not even the CEO. The direction on the company is so unclear. They will sell out as soon as they get the chance. Only thing is no one wants it! It is honestly just a paycheck for me. Benefits are okay I suppose. No 4O1K Match. They truly don't care about employees. You are just a name and a number to them. Don't let them fool you. The business is in trouble and is being ran by a bunch of rich idiots that don't have a clue as to what they are doing. No Christmas bonus. No raises. Most Clients are cancelling or getting out of contracts with SilkRoad as soon as they can.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO Before Shackleton suns it into the ground. You have already lost some great employees and customers. Treat your employees right, and actually train them. You sell HR Software maybe you should upgrade your HR department. Also YOUR COMPUTER EQUIPTMENT, ITS ACIENT.

"Not the company that it once was"

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at SilkRoad Technology (More than 8 years)

Pros

The co-workers are great and the casual dress is nice.

Cons

It just isn't the "work happy" place that it once was.

Advice to Management

If the wheel isn't broke, don't fix it.

5. "Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with who are knowledgeable in their fields. Awesome PTO policy. Lots of flexibility. Good insurance with increased rates being absorbed by the company for the past several years. Ability to work remotely. CEO seems to be moving company in a promising direction.

Cons

A lot of change. Too much employee turnover. No career development. No 401k match.

Advice to Management

Look internally to fill job openings.

"Good company"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is going places, could have a bright future. Might be a target for a future buyout by a larger company in Washington State

Cons

Watch your back, Some managers will throw you under a bus. Get things in writing. Document, document, document. Print off e-mails and keep them.

Advice to Management

Get some of the management team some counseling on how to more effectively manage people, and how to control his temper. Put leaders in a better position to manage their own people. Leaders should learn how to effectively use their employees instead of wasting their time.

"Uncertain future of the company but has been an awesome company to work for over the past six years."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are not micromanaged here and we truly have a flexible schedule. I love that they do not dictate what we wear. We can dress up or dress down. Our choice. We have the option to work remotely when needed. Pay is acceptable. Benefits are good. I love my work environment. I have been in some bad work environments before, this is nice.

Cons

There has been major upheavals since the new CEO came in. That is typically to be expected, however, it tends to get scarier and scarier every day with uncertainty of what is to become of the company and our jobs. Raises used to be across the board and are nearly non-existent unless the CEO thinks you are essential staff. I have been here several years and have only received two raises which were across the board. Lately, it seems that everyone wants to pass the buck and no one wants to make a decision.

Advice to Management

I think that you should throw the little guy a bone and give some raises to those that have stuck it out over the years without any significant pay increase. With all the uncertainty, people are leaving and receiving job offers that pay more than our salaries here. If people got a raise, they may be more willing to stick it out. However, better to be done with the company than to wait for the company to be done with you, right? That seems to be the direction the company is going in; right down the tubes.

8. "Cutting Edge technology with at home atmosphere."

Former Employee - Global Business Analyst in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Global Business Analyst in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique cutting edge technology with innovations. Very friendly at home working environment. Strong team work. Global business network.

Cons

Slow on product development. Luck of resource for international needs.

Advice to Management

Stick to original "work happy" motto.

9. "Not Perfect, but overall a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible PTO, Relaxed Dress Code, Remote Workforce, Fun Environment

Overall the management team has their head on straight and has the best interest of the employees and the company in mind when making changes.

Cons

Challenges of a smaller company that is experiencing growth (financial constraints), training to learn new products to implement needs expansion, no 401k match

Advice to Management

Keep the current "perks" (PTO, Work from home, etc) and work on some additional "perks" to encourage positive growth in culture. Over-communicate where the company stands and give detail.

"Any step forward is matched by two steps back"

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at SilkRoad Technology (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work remotely; a few really intelligent employees who are great go-to people; has a progressive image

Cons

Upper level mgmt out of touch with the marketplace; middle level mgmt hands-off but very reactionary; told to avoid possible trouble areas during demos (even though we said it was functional); too many folks at all levels who are kept around because they have been there forever or they're the friend/relative of someone.

Advice to Management

Mgmt is too far removed from "getting their hands dirty"