Silliker Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Miller

Pros
  • Most of the techs are great people (in 8 reviews)

• Great place to gain experience, plus your co-workers are amazing (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The afternoon shifts (11:30-8 or 1-9:30) make work-life balance very difficult (in 13 reviews)

• 50 to 70 hours a week is the norm, so plan on no life outside of work (in 9 reviews)

1. "Microbiological Technician"

Former Employee - Microbiological Technician in Crete, IL
    Former Employee - Microbiological Technician in Crete, IL

I worked at Silliker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good place to get started. They expose you to a wide array of techniques.

Cons

a large amount of overtime, average of 15 extra hours a week.

2. "High Turnover, Potential for Greatness"

Former Employee - Microbiology Technician in Salida, CA
    Former Employee - Microbiology Technician in Salida, CA

I worked at Silliker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many dedicated employees willing to stay local at the company
    Great employee community
    Opportunities to learn many new skills
    Corporate involvement throughout the year

Cons

Upper management is a disaster
    Employees often quit due to management's attitude
    Long hours caused by disorganization and low staffing
    Lower Management is underutilized and not respected

Advice to Management

Move successful lower management upwards quickly before the ship sinks, although when I left this was already occurring.

"Chemistry Technician"

Current Employee - Chemistry Technician in Crete, IL
    Current Employee - Chemistry Technician in Crete, IL

I have been working at Silliker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great and if you like overtime its ok.

Cons

There are too many to go into in a short amount of time. Lets just say, the pay sucks, there is no communication between anyone and the company is completely profit driven, regardless of employee safety, quality of the work or employees outside lives.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and comunicate better

"Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dyer, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dyer, IN

I have been working at Silliker (More than 3 years)

Pros

good place to work nice people

Cons

salary not competitive no raises

"Dead-end job, NOT a career"

Former Employee - Chemist in Crete, IL
    Former Employee - Chemist in Crete, IL

I worked at Silliker full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO is decent... and that's it.

Cons

Disrespectful and unqualified management that doesn't even try to act like they care about employees, laughable pay, no chance for advancement as they do not promote from within, and horrifying turnover rate because of these issues.

Supervisors and managers would regularly try to engage me in making fun of my coworkers. I am not that kind of person, so I never became one of their "buddies."

I started at $11.50 an hour as a "chemist." After receiving nearly perfect performance reviews, I got a yearly raise of ~$0.30 a year, and they claimed this was one of the highest raises they were able to give out. It wasn't until I tried to quit that they suddenly decided they could actually pay me more. So trust me, they CAN pay you more, they just want to see how low they can get away with paying you.

There are zero growth opportunities in the chemistry department. Every person in a non-entry level position (e.g. Senior chemist, HPLC/GC chemist) has been hired from outside the company rather than training and promoting hardworking employees who have been there for years. They hire chemists and lie to them in their interviews, claiming they will learn all kinds of tests and instrumentation, when really, everyone sticks to the same one test every day, and unless you have prior HPLC or GC experience, you will only do prep work and will never be trained on the actual instruments. My own supervisor even said that upper management does not like to train too many employees on instrumentation because it is too easy for them to find a job elsewhere (at a better company). I was a dependable and hard-working employee at Silliker for years, and I did not gain any useful experience, nor had I seen a single person at my level receive any valuable training.

Overall, the management at all Sillikers seems to prefer paying and treating employees poorly until they get fed up and quit, so that they can hire in new suckers and pay them as little as possible.

Also, they are frequently advertising themselves as Merieux NutriSciences now, so beware.

Advice to Management

PAY your employees a professional wage, promote your current employees instead of hiring from outside, put effort into training and developing them so that they don't feel like they are in a dead-end job. Basically, make people actually care about their jobs at Silliker, and maybe everyone won't be desperately trying to get out!

"Good place to start career, bad place to end it!"

Former Employee - Chemistry Technician in Salida, CA
    Former Employee - Chemistry Technician in Salida, CA

I worked at Silliker full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits ok. They work with you for time off.

Cons

Bad Management and too clickie.

Advice to Management

Start over here...

7. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great people, great work atmosphere.

Cons

Understaffed, unorganized, a lot of turnover

8. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Silliker (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Training, committed co workers, common cause for success is well known, leader in their industry and service to lab testing clients is top priority, generous time off

Cons

long work hours and high accountability when mistakes made even when training was not successful, work life balance difficult to achieve.

Advice to Management

invest in the employees who are dedicated to customer service and moving the organization forward, look at pricing to stay competitive in the market and make hourly wage better

9. "A stepping stone"

Former Employee - Sample Receiving Technician in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Sample Receiving Technician in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Silliker full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun coworkers, fairly easy work, lax about overtime hours, occasional 3 day weekends.

Cons

When I was there, they tracked some statistics for the (sample receiving) department that are pretty irrelevant, and if numbers aren't what corporate wants, people start getting punished. Other locations smudge their numbers, which means this lab is extra strict about meeting this goal. Can also be stressful on high-volume days or when short staffed.

Advice to Management

Stop tracking self-reported error rates. They stress out the employees and only cause more errors to occur.

"Horrible management."

Former Employee - Microbiologist in Salida, CA
    Former Employee - Microbiologist in Salida, CA

I worked at Silliker full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. This place was terrible. The only good that came out of me working there was the realization to return to school and pursue a graduate degree.

Cons

Work environment is terrible. No organization in shift management. The management is terribly undereducated for their positions. The company promotes a "clique" culture. Everyone is in groups, if you're in the right group you, move up, not based on merit.

Advice to Management

Take my advice into consideration if you wish to maintain a lab setting. Your current style of management is only productive from manufacturing, not in a lab which requires the following of protocol.