Silver Diner Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Bob Giaimo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "best company to work for"

Former Employee - Server in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Server in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Silver Diner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

they advance people within the company fairly, management is fantastic, management cares, you feel valued

Cons

money is good not great

Advice to Management

hire more people with experience... many of the issues are because of inexperienced staff

2. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at Silver Diner full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits for full time staff are pretty good and the on shift meal plan is an added plus as well.

Cons

Schedule and corporate office involvement, the corporate team loves to preach work balance until it suits them to go against their word, which happens frequently.

Advice to Management

The treatment of the employees must be fair across all level.

3. "Overall good company to work for, great managers"

Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Silver Diner full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great managers who are personable and friendly, food was delicious and you got a 15% off discount. Our training program was extensive so i felt prepared to work.

Cons

Uniform is a bit old school with the checkered apron, kitchen wasn't always staffed sufficiently, and the company had some weird script we had to stick to when talk about the food. The worse thing was probably how often customers modified their orders, you literally had to modify everything yet still get people their food in 15 minutes or less.

4. "Decent Serving Job"

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Silver Diner part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with. Friendly atmosphere, plenty of regulars, good food.

Cons

When open late on weekends, all of the support staff goes home early, leaving only a few servers on the floor to do all of those roles. Can get overwhelming if it gets busy.

5. "An okay foodservice job"

Former Employee - Waitress in Glen Allen, VA
    Former Employee - Waitress in Glen Allen, VA

I worked at Silver Diner part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was nice to be able to get some good tips, depending on if you were on a weekend shift. Free food was another plus.

Cons

It was almost impossible to get on the morning shift, so you'd end up just taking what you could get. I worked there two years and never really got a good schedule. Memorizing new menu items so regularly was super frustrating. Also, some customers were so baf that I decided on the spot to get out of foodservice, but that's more the location than Silver Diner's fault.

Advice to Management

Try to have good shifts more evenly distributed between employees. Give more support to lower management. Higher wages help you keep workers!

6. "Great for fast cash"

I worked at Silver Diner full-time

Pros

Managers really listen to you. You're able to grow to move up in the company.

Cons

Long Hours. Sometimes too many servers on the floor.

7. "Server"

Current Employee - Server in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Server in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Silver Diner part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun, friendly work enviornment. Great opportunities for advancement within the company. Flexibility with work schedule.

Cons

A lot of favoritism from management.

8. "not worth it"

Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Fairfax, VA

Pros

It's good money if you do your job well but no guarantee cause most people don't understand that servers rely on tips and tips alone. You also do learn about values and how to deal with difficult customers even if they don't deserve the constant smile on your face.

Cons

Constantly worked for free. Managers neglected to schedule people for certain positions every day so I or even other servers would do the to-go orders, expo, having double or triple sections, for free. Only made $2.13 per hour which went to taxes and doing all the other positions for free was absolutely NOT worth it. Can't even get a raise for going above and beyond for your job. smh. They nominated the same people over and over for EOM. Even the newest servers would get nominated but the people who work their hardest never had a chance. And if you're under the age of 21, don't expect to move up in the job. If you're a server youre stuck as a server with BS pay. The cooks were also VERY under paid and they are the reason Silver Diner is Silver Diner. The bussers don't do anything. at all. But you still have to share your tips with them. The stress is not worth the job. I promise.

Advice to Management

Stock people for every position, even if it's just a "slow day". Get rid of tip pool, at least for the bussers when they don't do their jobs. They sit in the back room and talk and eat food.

Dec 8, 2016 – Vice President of HR

Thank you for your comments. We will address the scheduling issues you raised as it is our policy to ensure all positions are staffed. We recently evaluate the Associate of the Month program and the... More

"Decent first job"

Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Gaithersburg, MD

Pros

Good training, fun environment, decent money

Cons

Our Specific location was quite slow; would've been nice to at least get a heads up that our location was closing instead of finding out via text from another employee that said, "Don't come to work today. We're closing." It seemed the upper management didn't care or consider that not all of us could up and transfer to different locations.

Advice to Management

Continue with the training program; it was very helpful

Dec 8, 2016 – Vice President of HR

Closing our Lakeforest (Gaithersburg) location was one of the most difficult decisions we have had to undertake as a company. Unfortunately, the guest traffic & sales continued to decline in the mall... More

"Manager"

I have been working at Silver Diner full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Respectful workplace,upbeat atmosphere from CEO to the utility staff.Great development programs and opportunities.Long tenured staff from corporate office to the store level-awesome turnover rate which exemplifies competitive pay and benefits.Transparent company with clear vision,goals and stays true to their values.

Cons

Late closing hours.no sick days.

Advice to Management

There is a need to review some of the store's closing hours,l believe there is a business shift in terms of late night dining(location by location).Closing an hour earlier will minimize labor costs.
    The company should look into installing "panic button/alarm system in case of emergency.We can't rely on calling the police on the phone when emergency situation arise or telling every individual that there is an emergency in the store.

Oct 17, 2016 – Vice President of HR

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. You raise a very good point about the hours of operation & the Ops team is taking a close look at the value of staying open so late. Because late... More