SilverRail Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Aaron Gowell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"On the cusp"

I have been working at SilverRail Technologies full-time

Pros

SilverRail has all the pieces in place to reach greatness. The past 6 months have attracted leadership additions who are experts in maturing companies and are showing passion for success.. Raw talent at the individual contributor level is abundant and their approach to the market shows a commitment to deliver the best service. There are lots of things for every employee to sink their teeth into, work hard, and see those contributions' impact on SilverRail success. With all the change mistakes are sometimes made but it is impressive how willing management is to admit something wasn't working and try a new approach.

Cons

Lots of changes going on. Change is hard and takes a lot of work. I feel like I am back in an exciting startup working hard to get everything done. It isn't a place to sit in the corner and coast. There is a lot of work to do and some of my peers are uncomfortable with the effort required to succeed but most everyone is on board.

Advice to Management

Don't get hung up on the few complaints. Most of us see the vision, we are excited about it, and we know it will take hard work to get there.

"CEO disengaged; leadership team out of sync"

I worked at SilverRail Technologies full-time

Pros

The "worker bees" are great people who are doing their best. Benefits are decent. Product has potential if leadership would get out of their own way.

Cons

The CEO is fully disengaged and throws tantrums. He's told a whole office to "go get jobs at Starbucks" and often responds to simple requests with "do you think I even care?" Needless to say, the culture is going downhill, and fast. The rest of the leadership team is disjointed and communication is poor, among themselves and to the rest of the company. It feels like they're just biding their time until they find a way to get a big payout from Expedia. HR has become talking heads and all about policy and procedure, no focus on employees, not even meeting with them.

Advice to Management

Get your strategy in order and then stick to it. You're losing talented people. You are probably going to brush this review off, but there are real problems and you can't keep ignoring them.

"The worst place to work for, may soon shut down!"

I have been working at SilverRail Technologies full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance!
    Has some talented individuals (non managers) to work with
    Decent pay and benefits

Cons

Extremely poor management from top to bottom
    Greedy & selfish execs. Too many directors & managers, very few to do the work!
    No recognition, appreciation and growth path for employees
    Positive reviews here were a result of some group effort by HR. Not necessarily a true representation of the company
    Employee morale is at the lowest level. People are leaving! HR herself left!

Advice to Management

No point in giving advice to management because it will never be heard!

SilverRail Technologies Response

Oct 19, 2017 – CEO

Wow. I’m really sorry that you feel this way, and that things have not worked out as you might have hoped or expected. It’s hard for me to hear such angry feedback, but that doesn’t invalidate how... More

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Office Administrator in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in Woburn, MA

I have been working at SilverRail Technologies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SilverRail has a wonderful work environment. Everyone is approachable and the work ethic is great. I have enjoyed my time here.

Cons

No cons at SilverRail so far

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Overall good company to work for"

I have been working at SilverRail Technologies full-time

Pros

- Flexible hours
    - Good perks
    - Somewhat at par salaries

Cons

- Slower in pace
    - Too much control from executives
    - Too many managers. In fact, at present one product manager per developer!

"Great workplace culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at SilverRail Technologies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SilverRail has positive and supportive atmosphere. Everyone works in a team and wants to be a part of the community. It is a relatively casual work environment and every team member is approachable. There is an emphasis on true work/life balance and a good understanding that there is life beyond the work place.

Cons

Things can be intense and fast paced. This is not something I consider a con because there is always new challenges, but it might be difficult for others.

7. "Sr. Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woburn, MA

Pros

Good and healthy work environment
    Work/life balance
    Strong technical team

Cons

no 401K match but the other benefits are good

Advice to Management

Company is doing good and keep the momentum going

"things are going pretty well right now"

Current Employee - Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at SilverRail Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

love the new space ! natural lighting, super view of the highway (a.k.a. "pulse of the region"), tactile games in the spacious corridor (particularly fond of the wooden labyrinth w/the 2 knobs), can't say enough about the ping pong table (fully equipped with a willing player of every skill level), fridge full of drinks, snack rotation, and on.

not that everybody does all the extracurricular, but the venn diagram of who does what together socially is hard to draw in 2d. there are those who play the ping pong; eat lunch in the common area; run / bike at lunchtime; participate in the activities committee; watch soccer on the big screen; take their fitbits seriously; make food for the cook-offs; office fantasy football (with trophy); hang out on thursday aft to discuss technology; prob a bunch of other overlapping subsets. i have something non-work to talk to almost everybody about.

the people are smart *and* friendly. doesn't feel competitive, nor like an uphill battle. more like collaboration, and opportunity. stress is self-inflicted. you don't want to let anybody down.

things i like but realize may not sound attractive: (1) time spent on tasks is carefully tracked, and (2) we post to a channel whenever our schedule deviates from the norm--even if leaving early, or running out for a short errand. i never feel judgement on either of those fronts. rather, i welcome the "tight ship". it follows that the admin is super-flexible about schedules, work-at-home, and even various kinds of leave if necessary.

oh yeah, the work. unfortunately i don't feel the connection between the industry and the work so much - i'm a developer, it's an enterprise platform, i rarely see the ui, never the customers nor business partners, and by the time the requirements come in the business concepts are so processed it feels almost academic - but the advent of micro-services and REST has incited an archictectural revolution that has pronounced the opportunity to contribute more substantially to high-level design, inter- and intra- process, which is great.

as for the company, it is fun to hear the latest business developments and related info when we do - at least monthly - and to weigh them against the steady stream of information posted to the "industry news" channel internally - can be exciting - plus the company seems pretty stable and we're hiring.

Cons

requires patience to find your place. def can't come in looking to revolutionize process. plus the work streams in through a pretty narrow and controlled funnel, making it hard to design your own impact. that said, i've never gotten much resistance when i do try to float my own agenda, so maybe i just need to try harder.

not a lot of feedback. say, one session a year, around review time. i've grown pretty comfortable with this - i'm sure they'll let me know if things aren't working out, and i like the autonomy, plus i don't know if it's the same for everybody - but i can understand this may be a drawback.

the company has an international feel, which is fun, but it feels a bit disjointed, and particularly from the decisions and activities in european headquarters.

the boston office is outside boston, meaning it's a commute. for everybody. no post-work scene.

Advice to Management

continue working to enhance the sense of connection between the offices in different timezones, and please let us know as soon as you can about exciting business developments, but don't worry too much about us in boston, things are going pretty well right now.

9. "Chooo Chooo"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at SilverRail Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome/Relaxed work environment
    Flexible time
    Nice office perks
    Great team(s) to work with
    No Micro-Management

Cons

No cons to be honest, have not found any flaws since I started working for SilverRail. Maybe 401K could be better but that's about it?

Advice to Management

Outstanding work from managerial perspective, maybe one little thing that needs improvement. CrossDeparmental communication

10. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at SilverRail Technologies full-time

Pros

SilverRail in general is a very positive, friendly company, with an uplifting atmosphere. With focus on a work/life balance there is less stress on the hours you are in the office/working from home and more on the completed work itself. There is nothing more discouraging then working at a company where you’ve finished what your task is and you’re guilted into sitting at your desk for a few more hours because its the “norm.” At SilverRail there is no “norm”; you come and go on your own accord and it is trusted that your work will be done. That being said it is a very fast paced company with a respective workload, for some I can see this being a con however I personally love the ever-changing and challenging environment.

For a start up company we have a lot of perks (snacks, beverages, rec room etc.) and it is actually encouraged that employees take advantage of them. Management seems to understand that everyone needs a few minutes to decompress now and then and it is greatly appreciated by the employees.

Cons

Due to the start up nature of the company there is a lack of communication among teams, offices, and management. This is partly due to being spread across many different countries, and simply not having the experience or methods in place to encourage communications. Currently it sometimes feels like each office in each country is a different company operating on its own with minimal interaction or understanding what the other is doing (on an employee level, management is very aware of projects that all offices are working on).

Advice to Management

Increase communications with teams and offices. It will benefit the company to have everyone feeling more connected rather then disjointed. Also create defined career paths, it will encourage and motivate employees.