SilverTech Reviews | Glassdoor

SilverTech Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2019

Found 56 reviews

SilverTech CEO Yuvraj Soggu (no image)
Yuvraj Soggu

"Not what it seems"

I worked at SilverTech full-time

Pros

Nice people (to your face at least), nice building, laid back culture when the financial picture is good. Free parking. Seems like a great place to work from the outside.

Cons

Projets are not innovative, processes and systems outdated and managed by people who don't use them. Feels like the company's outside image is totally different than what the company that really is and employees are labelled as troublemakers when they bring that up.

Advice to Management

Respect the people who are brave enough to let you know what is really happening when management walks out of the room.

SilverTech2015-12-04

"Not a lot of personal incentives"

I worked at SilverTech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- 100% covered Health insurance - Friendly co-workers

Cons

I guess the main question you need to ask yourself is, what are you looking for in your job? If you are just looking for a paycheck, to not have to pay for your healthcare, and to work in an agency environment, then this job will be fine for you. You'll also need to be willing to work a lot of hours for your salary, so keep that in mind when negotiating your pay. If you are looking for a job at which you can... advance in your overall knowledge and/or your career, then I would say this company is not for you. I was employed at this company for 4 years, and saw an alarming turnover rate. All of the quality developers kept leaving. That should tell you all you need to know, but don't worry, I'll go deeper. They like to play musical chairs with positions for all of the same people, over and over again, while everyone else just stays in the same place. When they do say that you'll see a change, it's basically a fabrication (I know from experience). They tell you what you want to hear to appease you, and not follow through. During my time at the agency I made the determination that they like to bring in interns and hire them, due to the fact they can hire them a lower salary since interns are generally just out of school, and happy to get a job at a "cool agency" that is filled with fun games and ski-ball machines that you'll never get to use (which clearly they can afford to buy instead of giving you a raise). Once these employees get to the point where they want something more, they end up moving on. At this company, you just do not get anything more, whether it be a competitive salary or any sort of training and/or education. During my time employed I received: - Below average pay. They like to compare themselves to the "big agencies" but don't want to pay like them. Then they use the fact they are in NH as an excuse. They'll also bring up the healthcare when you want more money, which is a nice perk indeed, but people still need to make a decent salary. In my opinion, if you want to compare yourself to the major players, then keep your talent and pay like the major players. They're just simply all talk. They'd rather let people go, and then tell you to not bother working that last 2 weeks, because they're too butthurt that you're leaving. Can't even tell you how many people gave their notice and were told to lave that very day. - Zero education or conferences. Any time I wanted to attend a conference it was a big NO. They simply do not want to invest in your personal development, they just want you to work long hours and not have you out of the office, since they need to pack your schedule with work to do within a ridiculously short timeline. And they definitely don't want to pay your conference registration, which just shows they don't care that you grow as a designer/developer. They need that money to drive their Range Rovers and BMWs. - Zero ability to use any of the work you do in your portfolio. If you do, you'll be threatened with legal action. Honestly, if I cannot even show that I worked on these projects, please tell me why I even want to work on them in the first place? Most projects are banks, heathcare related, etc anyway. Not exactly super-exciting. All of the cool clients I had the pleasure of working with no-longer do business with SilverTech. Hmmmm. - No bonuses. Zero performance-based incentives. Sure, they like to do an overnight Christmas party at a hotel, which can be fun, but honestly I'd really just appreciate a check. People have bills to pay. - Unflexible hours. For a salary-based position that works long hours, you would think they'd be a little lenient if you drive 80 miles to get in at 9:05 for their highly unnecessary 9:00 production meeting. I can't even tell you how many times you'll get scolded if you're not there when they start. Granted, they were trying a new time system when I left, but I couldn't tell you if it's still being used.

Advice to Management

This place need to re-invest in its employees. Give decent annual raises. Send them to conferences. Pay for some courses. Give out Lynda.com subscriptions. ANYTHING. Show that you care about their personal and professional development. Eventually, the same old routine and series of excuses just gets old. People want to move forward.

SilverTech2015-11-09

"Be very cautious"

I worked at SilverTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Much like the majority of the reviews, at the time I was there I worked with some super passionate, and bright people. I really loved the people I worked with on a day to day basis. The benefits were generous and sounds like they still are. You can get some good exposure at a super-sonic pace. Lots of examples on how to do good stuff. Generous xmas gift and bonus.

Cons

I can only comment on my experiences since I haven't worked there in a while. From what I have read on the reviews here, there are definitely similarities, and continuing issues. Even more examples of how NOT to do stuff... I think dated can sup up a lot. Pay was average, to below average considering the amount of time you end up working. Some weeks/months were worse than others, but on average you could expect... 60-65 hr weeks. Very erratic management style—the same people are always moved around, titles changing etc... I was bummed to read about losing the pool table in the newspaper. Not sure why you'd mention that like it was a good thing. Too much work to do in the provided window, with little technical oversight. Over all I remember everyone in the production department working a lot. Weekend, late nights mandatory etc. The over all expectation of "great work, now more MORE MORE" got old. It felt very constricting to have the same amount of time to do more and more work.

Advice to Management

You can't rule with an iron fist. The day of "I pay them well, and give them benefits" is over. You've got people who care about what they are making, and who they are making it for. At some point you're going to have to decide if you want to trust the people you have to make the company the best, or if you're going to continue to micromanage and fret over every little last detail.

SilverTech2015-07-24

"It's time to stop with the excuses, guys."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I have been working at SilverTech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Small company, so there is a bit of a charm involved. Heath insurance is a nice to have, but agree with a few other posts about it being a little more over-inflated. Production staff is cool, but getting tired of the act.

Cons

There is a bit more to say here, unfortunately. The positive reviews are obviously scripted, and written by the internal team. People are asked to write positive reviews during the interview process, no joke. The new management hires do not reflect modern tech field. It's laughable, actually. This is far from an agency, and the issues mentioned are not typical agency problems. These are start-up problems. Lots... of issues to go over here. It's all lip service when it comes to management addressing these issues. The same problems have existed here for years, and they only seem to grow with time. It all stems from the top down, and are problems that have existed here for years. I know people who have been here from when it was in it's 'humble beginnings' and from what I understand, the problems do not go away. 1. People have overstayed their necessity, way beyond value. Quite a few 'lifers' are hanging around for a reason or another. Two in particular are certainly the CEO's friends, and part of the in-crowd. I'd be surprised to see any of them go for any reason aside from their choice, despite obvious reasons to do so. 2. Staffing: There is NO staffing here. Absolutely no visibility to allocations, so people are more often than not over-worked all of the time. You could be on 4-5 projects that require 100% of your time simultaneously. "Resources" are scheduled by unqualified project coordinators who do not understand how the internet functions. 3. Turnover: I'd say its well over 30%, which is way to high for a small company. The CEO is more concerned with the number of people he can say works at the company, because it makes it feel more successful to have "growth". 4. Project caliber: Not sure what people are smoking here, because all we do is banks, and healthcare—brochureware to say the least. You will spend all day, night and weekends building things that in essence 'do nothing'. 5. Infrastructure: Calling it dated is being nice. I'll leave it at that. 6. CEO: He is an egomaniac. Points the finger more than anyone I've seen, and flies off the handle in an instant. Does not consider his words before he speaks, and often does not let anyone speak in meetings cause he likes the sound of his own voice. Very reactive in nature, and delivery. Makes it obvious there is an in-crowd, and that only certain people are welcome. It's like junior high. 7. Culture: None to speak of, so that is easy. 8. You will be working non-stop.

Advice to Management

I've been watching these reviews go back and forth. It's quite obvious positive reviews are being requested. You guys are going to experience extreme shrinkage if you don't stop with the paw strings. Your staff is DONE. Trust that.

SilverTech2015-07-09

"Agency Life"

I worked at SilverTech full-time

Pros

The people are hands down the number one pro of working here. There are a lot of smart, talented people. Health insurance is fully paid too which is nice. The building is an old renovated schoolhouse and is really nice.

Cons

Now on to the cons. First, read the reviews... there is a trend that can be found in the reviews and it rings true. While health insurance is fully paid the salary is generally below market rate and you could typically make more elsewhere even if you did have to pay a health insurance premium. In addition, two weeks off plus three additional days isn't very generous in the leave department. The open... environment can be nice at first however it quickly becomes distracting. The industry as a whole seems to be moving in this direction even though most studies have shown that is not good for productivity. Overall, its an agency and you should be fully aware of what its like to work at an agency before jumping in. It can be an extremely stressful environment with long hours and unreasonable deadlines. The fast growth that they are currently experiencing certainly has something to do with this however unlike a stressful startup environment where you may have some equity you'll be getting none of the rewards for your hard work.

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees are your most valuable asset. Having deadlines that are simply not possible makes for unhappy employees and an inferior product.

SilverTech2015-05-23

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, NH

I worked at SilverTech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Honestly not much, They have not great Health Insurance, but it's there. Every other Thursday the company gathers and drinks beer

Cons

Absolutely no work life balance. During my time there employees were expected to put in over 10 hour days and come in during the weekend to finish whatever work needs to be done, and the most you get is maybe food. Very few QA staff that are way too overworked to get things done. They take advantage of recent grads to get really cheap labor. No one knows what's going on. Projects are not well defined in the... least. spec documents are vague and often unfinished. Source control is an afterthought - sneaker net was used on occasion. Super minor, but they have arcade machines throughout the building that were touted as a cool cultural thing, but during my time there I never saw turned on. Training is practically non-existent. The pay is really low, and they use their really bad "benefits" package as an excuse. Management are an echo chamber and don't listen to the people who are boots on the ground.

Advice to Management

Honestly nothing I say here will be taken seriously, but stop using the "Agency Life" excuse and really get your processes in order. pay your people what they deserve, and don't allow people to spend 90% of their time slaving away.

SilverTech2018-12-03

"Don't bother working here"

I worked at SilverTech full-time

Pros

Nothing positive about this company other than its a "positively abysmal" place to be. I realized shy of 3 years how toxic, unprofessional, and it was, and just how miserable everyone is there and was able to get myself out.

Cons

The owner is a know-nothing clown. He *THINKS* he knows a lot, which is hilarious—he talks so much and says NOTHING. Almost the entire "drone" staff say BS things like "Thats agency life" or "digital lifecycle" when in fact NO ONE there has been at a real agency or could even explain what a lifecycle is, or why focusing on a lifecycle is a huge mistake. They don't work with the customers' customers—everything they... do is rushed, last minute, ill planned (if planned at all). They only know what they know, which only has a place in the early 2000s. The strategy team is a complete joke. The focus on deliverables, and reports that tell us nothing rather than working in a way that moves work forward. So much waisted time in poor ever-changing processes that make everyone chase their tail. Clients have a super short shelf-life, as do the employees (historically over 30% attrition which is very his for this industry). They can't keep any talent because EVERYONE hates working there. And everyone hates Nick. He's is a poor excuse for a human, and anything but a leader. If you actually like working there, you clearly have no idea what the real agency world is like and you are a scared "yes person" who does whatever they need to survive. This place will make you feel like you are decaying inside.

Advice to Management

Close up shop. You don't know what you are doing, and you shouldn't be taking money for it. Period.

SilverTech2017-04-27

"Strategy"

Current Employee - Strategy in Manchester, NH

I have been working at SilverTech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Onsite parking, nice lights and comfortable chairs. It's right off of Route 93. I like working in Manchester, it's a close drive from Massachusetts. Free healthcare that has a massive co-pay system, not really a pro.

Cons

Too much focus on growing quick without supporting any current clients. There is no way to answer any timeline questions as a lot of projects are sent elsewhere. I really wish it was a better place to work, I have been here for a long time and things just keep getting worse and worse. I only stay because I am forced to.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like expendable assets, accept responsibility for your own issues. You are not a good company to work for in the slightest. You are not the best and the brightest in anything.

SilverTech2016-07-22

"Do Your Research Before you Accept!"

I worked at SilverTech for more than a year

Pros

Great location with easy access from Rt 3 and 93. Open to new ideas and change in processes.

Cons

Very low talent retention with ongoing cycles of new hires, followed by layoffs. Majority of employees are not technical; those who are technically savvy often overshadowed by a few outspoken team members who have no technical background. Lack of internal team unity. Many dissatisfied clients which adds additional stress to the work environment.

SilverTech2016-06-10

"Shiny façade hides the truth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

I worked at SilverTech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool historic building. 100% paid for health care (although the high co-pays and deductibles pretty much make this a wash compared to other companies’ plans). Matching 401k. Some other good / fun things are beer and popcorn get-togethers that gave employees an opportunity to get to know senior management, takeout every other week, lots of swag, and a 100% paid-for destination Christmas party. These are also a... big part of the problem, however (see below).

Cons

They really push you to drink the Kool-aid when you first get there and I definitely did. I thought the cultural events and free tacos were great, grabbed myself some t-shirts, and really looked forward to the Christmas party. Then the shine gradually faded. Upper management started rarely (if ever) coming to the Thursday afternoon get-togethers. There was a high turn-over rate across all departments (especially... development and sales), plus people were randomly being let go with no explanation to the rest of us as to what was going on. There was also pretty severe cliquiness among certain employees and management. The place was becoming progressively more fragmented and directionless, but instead of dealing with that they put forward an appearance of “everything is wonderful” by continuing the free lunches, beer, ordering new swag, and re-tweeting every positive story no matter now mundane. And of course, there was the destination Christmas party which obviously cost quite a bit. When the negative reviews started cropping up on here they did perform some employee surveys and promised that they’d take what was discovered under advisement and make improvements, but I didn’t see any. If anything, the lack of senior management at the Thursday get-togethers seemed to directly coincide with these surveys. Bottom line – there’s a reason why Silvertech gets so many negative reviews. Do not overlook them. And while you’re re-reading those reviews keep this in mind – although “tech” is in the name, this is not a tech company. It’s a marketing agency trying to be just enough of a tech company to attract talent from the tech sector. And because it’s an agency, nearly every minute of every day is required to be billable to a client. If you happen to hit a stretch where you’re not working directly on client projects but are keeping yourself busy with tasks that still need to get done even though they’re not billable, you will be questioned by management and looked at as non-productive.

Advice to Management

First and foremost, stop sugar-coating everything - if things aren’t going well, let your employees know. I guarantee that people will be more than happy to give up tacos and beer and trips to the mountains if it means they get to keep their jobs. These are smart people who will eventually figure it out if they haven’t already. Second, do whatever it takes to dismantle those cliques. Nothing alienates employees... more than feeling like they’re being left out of their manager’s “cool kid club.” Third, take a good look at yourselves and grow up. You’re not as hip and cool as the image you’re trying to put forward. And this includes cutting out the “we’re so awesome” tweets. If the outside world even cares that Frogger was put up on the big screen on the third floor it’s because it makes the company look unprofessional, immature, and filled with people who are spending their days playing video games instead of working. Not exactly the image you want to portray to potential clients if you’re trying to grow the business. Finally, get some direction. Are you a marketing agency or a tech company? If you decide to be a marketing agency, be a marketing agency and let the more technically oriented people coming in know up front (preferably during the interview process) that this is a different environment than they’re used to, and clearly explain what those differences are. Just look at how many reviews put the agency culture in the “cons” section and give off the impression of being sold a bill of goods. If people knew what they were getting into beforehand a lot of the complaints would’ve been addressed long before they became issues. If you decide to be a tech company, then drop all the marketing speak and start behaving more like a tech company. I really don’t see how straddling both sides is sustainable in today’s business world.

SilverTech2016-04-11