Silverado Reviews in Lake Zurich, IL | Glassdoor

3.1
Silverado President, Chairman & CEO Loren B. Shook
Loren B. Shook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can bring your kids or pets to work (in 5 reviews)

• The whole associate team care about our residents, our family members, and each other (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Being on-call so much really interferes with work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management struggles, high turnover (in 8 reviews)

"Former Manager - Silverado Lake Zurich"

Former Employee - Former Manager in Lake Zurich, IL
    Former Employee - Former Manager in Lake Zurich, IL

I worked at Silverado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although my employment was very brief, I have to state that it was the most enjoyable working environment that I have encountered in 35 years of Healthcare Management, the last 20 in Senior and Long Term Care communities. The Regional V.P. of Operations is one of the best I have had the opportunity to work for and they have a great Leadership team of dept. heads. Without a doubt the front line staff is great....caregivers do a fantastic job and the R.N.s are superb! A very warm, inviting family feel and an open door to family, friends, children and pets! They offer far and away better care for their residents compared to Assisted Living communities which as a "side line" also offer Memory Care.

Cons

I had the opportunity to work for Loren Shook 25 years ago as Director of Finance for CPC Streamwood Hospital. At the time I felt the training was the best and the leadership team equally so. The same values guide him and the executive officers with the overseeing of Silverado. I would only offer one suggestion....as my Mother (who was inflicted with Alzheimer's for 9 years) use to tell me growing up...."there are 3 sides to every story...she said, he said and the truth!" Unfortunately, in my case (and maybe others) the "he said" story was never heard and "the truth" was not arrived at. The only place I have ever worked where a complete investigation of all parties was not done.

Advice to Management

Do not jump to quick decisions based upon one side of the story. A man's impeccable record for 35 years has been tarnished in his eyes by this action. I have been involved in many similar situations during my career. I always gave all sides the opportunity to have their say before making a decision....and in many cases (including zero tolerance) it did not lead to termination. Also, I would look closely at the policy of not discharging a resident if he/she engaged in some similar activity. Other major Senior Living corporations do not draw a distinction between occurrences whether an employee or a resident. You will be opening yourself up to wrongful termination and the possibility of media attention and the fact the associate can always file a police report as some have done in other A.L./M.C. communities.

Silverado Response

Feb 12, 2015 – Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

We are so glad to hear that your tenure at Silverado was such a positive experience. Thank you for recognizing the Regional VP of Operations, along with the amazing team at our community in Lake... More

"CNA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Zurich, IL

I have been working at Silverado full-time

Pros

Love the residents and families

Cons

You don't know what community daily and they treat you like a child the pay needs to be more and the gossip and drama is out of control

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism