Silverado Nurse Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Silverado President, Chairman & CEO Loren B. Shook
Loren B. Shook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can bring your kids or pets to work (in 5 reviews)

• can bring your pets or kids to work if they aren't a distraction (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Being on-call so much really interferes with work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management struggles, high turnover (in 8 reviews)

"Silverado Hospice Austin"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Austin, TX

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, forward thinkers in hospice industry and leadership that is truly dedicated to employees, patients, and families.

Cons

Long days, stress from home office on numbers, corporate entities lead by email. Bad apples giving care finally dismissed from team.

Advice to Management

Demand more freedom to make the decisions to keep the branch healthy. Past leadership was shunned when trying to make things better for the team. I'm just glad he still stuck around to carry us through under new admin. Things are picking up and growth is phenomenal! Love working here now that all those other toxic nurses are gone!

"LVN charge nurse"

Current Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Bee Cave, TX
    Current Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Bee Cave, TX

I have been working at Silverado (Less than a year)

Pros

Health service dept is a close family. A truly fun place to work. Bring your kids and dogs with you and everyone has a good time.

Cons

Understaffing. Administrator not embodying silverados culture.

"No Job Security"

Former Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the residents!! Great Pay

Cons

No Job security at all. Horrible managemet

"Great company"

Current Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Morton Grove, IL
    Current Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Morton Grove, IL

I have been working at Silverado part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very high expectations for memory care patients. Silverado enriches the lives of it's patients by training staff on how to interact with those that are a part of the community and by providing the residents with many engaging activities. The culture is fun rewarding and full of life and love at Silverado. There is room to grow for any employee and growth is encouraged. There are also many benefits and perks to working at Silverado. Not just health benefits but also being a part of he community. Kids are allowed at work, safe pets, and attendance to lunches and dinners is welcomed for all staff.

Cons

Health benefits can be expensive . Without a proper management team things can get pretty unorganized. Turnover rate is high at my current facility though I am unsure of others.

Advice to Management

Help each other, be transparent, offer incentives to staff and management. Give everyone a sense of belonging by implementing real incentive programs to retain employees and find a solution to having less than appropriate staffing

"Nurse"

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

Pros

The love and compassion shown to the residents. It's the only message Loren Shook and Steve Winner have effectively passed down to the communities.

Cons

The management style corporate uses is ineffective and simply outdated. It is the reason the turn over rate is so high. It's unfortunate the owners are not aware of their executive teams' shady business practices.

Advice to Management

Look to Fortune 500 companies and mimic their management style. For example Companies like Southwest Airlines where their employees stay forever and love the company they work for. You have the best ideals for residents, which is so important. In the areas of employee retention and employee satisfaction this company fails miserably.

"Hospice Austin Texas Location"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Austin, TX

I have been working at Silverado full-time

Pros

A hidden gem among an outcropping of smaller hospices. Very selective about hiring the "best of the best". No 'On Call' required ! Very manageable case load, feel good about providing being able to provide quality care, Excellent supportive upper management and nurse supervisor aka DPCS. No heavy laptop to lug, CM's use lightweight I Pad.

Cons

Guess I'd call it "growing pains", hiring staff to keep up with admission and pt's. Word must be getting out and providing such excellent care to our families/clients is paying off.

Advice to Management

Add sign on bonus to attract more candidates. Shorten EMR routine assessment

Jun 29, 2015 – Vice President of Human Resources

Welcome to Silverado! We are so glad that you have had a great experience at our newest Silverado Hospice office. Your commitment and compassion is what sets us apart and allows Silverado to offer... More

"LVN ( Charge Nurse )"

Former Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in San Juan Capistrano, CA
    Former Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in San Juan Capistrano, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the residents and co-workers. The motto of the company is great. I wish that they cared about the employees as well.

Cons

Management does not support the employees. They will fire you rather than work to solve problems. I have seen great nurses and caregivers fired. They tossed them out like disposable gloves.

Advice to Management

Encourage and invest in your employees, without them business suffers, your residents suffer and that is a shame.

Aug 19, 2014 – Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. At Silverado, we really try and focus on support and education for our associates – beyond the requirements of continuing education for your licensure... More

"Loved the residents, hated administration.....especially corporate"

Former Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Calabasas, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The residents steal your heart
    -The families for the most part are very involved and verbalize appreciation
    -The caregivers and other nurses REALLY care about the residents and give good care
    -The working hours and availability of extra shifts if you want them
    -You can make a difference in at least 1 residents life everyday
    -Ability to make lifelong friendships with staff and/or family members

Cons

-Corporate, corporate, corporate only care about money and not the residents or staff
    -keep staff who blatantly do not show up for work, yet let others go who really want to be there, solely based on "personality"...which means they do not kiss up to upper mgt and corporate
    -If you kiss enough behinds....you can go all the way to the top
    -the mgt form their own opinions about the residents and staff and rarely listen to your concerns

Advice to Management

Get your act together and make it about the residents and the people who take care of them and not just about the money. Make advancement about the person....not your opinions of them......if they can do the job, then promote them into it......you are losing a lot of really qualified people....and staff who really want to be there in favor of hiring an unqualified person for $2 less, then having to fire them.

Jun 11, 2014 – Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for providing more than five great years of service to so many of our residents, their families and our fellow associates at our Calabasas community. We really do have an outstanding team... More

"great place to work!"

Current Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Azusa, CA
    Current Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in Azusa, CA

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great vision, loving staff, great communication and respect aming staff, resident care #1, lots of smiles, lots of food, we can bring our pets and children to work; adminsitration seems genuinely interested in provising world class care. has open door policy; administrator listens to our concerns and questions.

Cons

none at our community in Azusa CA

Advice to Management

upper management need to figure out how to clone our staff; great corporate culture where i am which, unfortunately, may not be true of other locations

"San Diego office - WOW these are SCARY people to work for"

Former Employee - Nurse in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Nurse in San Diego, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

San Diego has pretty weather...?

Cons

Revolving door. Punitive enviornment. If a family is grieving and complains EVERYONE present is blamed. No recognition for a job well done. Your job may disappear and you will never know what happened. Some people are not paid a living wage (yes, even nurses).

Advice to Management

Really consider removing current management and replace with appropriate and positive management who dont have their own array of serious emotional and behavioral problems.

Jan 15, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you for your more than 5 years of service to Silverado, our residents, patients and clients.

Our Home Office Human Resources team would love the opportunity to speak with you about your... More