Silverado Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Silverado President, Chairman & CEO Loren B. Shook
Loren B. Shook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They let you bring your children to work" (in 7 reviews)

• "can bring your pets or kids to work if they aren't a distraction" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Management does not respect work / life balance" (in 9 reviews)

• "Upper Management Turnover, Lack of Communication between Management and Staff" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Company Culture/Values"

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can bring kids and dogs to work. Opportunities for career growth.

Cons

Turnover, but that's standard for the healthcare industry.

"CNA/Caregiver"

Former Employee - CNA/Care Giver in Glendora, CA
    Former Employee - CNA/Care Giver in Glendora, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I care about the elderly. I have alot of compassion, understanding, the patients all seem to like me. At Silverado the diffacult ones bonded with me & would allow me to care for them, where as they didn't always let other CNA's help them. I'm soft spoken, easy going & they pick up on that. My old boss of 14 years at City of Hope was a patient there until his passing. Jeff Chapman. He was embarrassed to see friends, so I didn't visit much.

Cons

The only cons I had while working there were that I liked to keep busy & workin 3-11 gave me free time in the evening. So instead of watching alot of TV I would do laundry for the overnight shift to fold. That was just me.

Advice to Management

There was a nurse who had alot in common with me, we both grew up in a Military family, even lived on the same Base at a young age. She began picking on me alot, so I complained, but got no where. I was at the feeding table, guess she didn't see me behind the piller feeding a resident so I got in trouble. Once again I said something & nothing was done. I felt management should have spoken to us both.

3. "Wonderful in the beginning"

Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Belmont, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Received great support from other nurses. Facility had a relaxed vibe most of the time while working. Appeared to be a breath of fresh air compared to other similar facilities.

Cons

Severely short staffed. Management was aware for a while of how hard it was for the nurses to work short staffed and did nothing until it becames even more unmanageable. Didnt feel supported from management. One can easily be over-worked here. On a side note, nothing related to the company itself: this is a very hard demographic to work for. It is rewarding at times, but mostly very taxing emotionally/ psychologically/ physically. Not everyone is suited to work here.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees. If they disgruntled because of a staffing shortage, communicate with them and let it be known that you are trying . Then actually follow through with whatever you promise. Do not meddle in the nursing world, again, listen to the nurses who have been professionally trained.

4. "Hospice nurse"

Current Employee - Hospice Nurse in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Hospice Nurse in Houston, TX

I have been working at Silverado part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive offic mgmt & coworkers, great work environment...I would encourage all my friends to work here...great pay too!

Cons

RN's get heavy work loads, often due to understaffing

Advice to Management

Keep nurse caseloads to a manageable #

5. "great company, but not too organized"

Former Employee - Director, Engagement Management in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Director, Engagement Management in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company, strong base of identity, benefits, potential for great works

Cons

Too many long distance regional "cooks", not a realistic idea of local community population when compared to other communities, a sink or swim sense of training.

Advice to Management

Sit down together amd come up with a unified message. Listen to local community when being told something doesnt work for a certain community.

6. "A great place for your love one’s for Memory Care (Silverado Memory Care)."

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Silverado cares about their employee (like family).Great pay and benefits.

Cons

There aren’t enough Silverado in each state.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great service to families and elderly with Dementia.

7. "Money oriented only"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, run away, micromanagement inexperienced

Cons

The mileage reimbursement is poor, find a hospice that focuses on patients and staff support, promised a competative salary and then given excessive patient load, 60 hour weeks

Advice to Management

Patient and employee support not administrative bonuses

"Avoid the Aspen Care, SLC, Utah location"

Former Employee - Patient Care in Holladay, UT
    Former Employee - Patient Care in Holladay, UT

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that used to work there, including the Alta therapy team, were the very best.

Cons

Natalie Bowen, the new building Administrator. Never have I encountered a more offensive, uncaring, unpleasant, foul-mouthed, selfish and abusive, narcissistic bully in all my life. While the former building Administrator wasn't perfect, he was a dear man who everyone loved and wanted to work for. The care he ensured patients receive was top notch. Natalie Bowen has no focus on service. She just wants people to do whatever she says when she says to do it, and without question. She'll verbally attack employees whenever she feels compelled to do so--whether in a staff meeting or in the hall. Oh yes, and problems, mistakes, etc. which are many, are NEVER Natalie's fault. Since Natalie arrived, more people have left or have been fired without cause by her, while she surrounds herself with a team of minions that follow her like lap dogs. For a company that on the surface touts team and respect, along with superior care and compassion, even the CEO of Silverado, Loren Shook, on one visit, was yelling at therapists blaming them for a poor inspection report, before he even understood the issues--he later discovered that the very people he was blaming were the only ones whose department scored well. He clearly is only interested in blaming anyone but himself or the Administrator for problems.

Advice to Management

Live your values. Listen to your staff. Get rid of the Administrators that have no business being in healthcare, much less in a position of leadership over staffs whose goal is to be the best they can be for the people that they serve.

9. "Terrific Place"

Current Employee - Nurse in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Nurse in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Silverado part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

teamwork, work environment, bring children to work, bring pets to work

Cons

I have no cons

10. "Disappointed"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Silverado full-time

Pros

No uniform, can bring children and pets

Cons

Poor pay, poor benefits, poor scheduling, hard work for the lowest of wages, no retention bonus, terrible and unorganized training

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap and pay your employees at least a little above minimum wage.