Silverado Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Silverado President, Chairman & CEO Loren B. Shook
Loren B. Shook

Pros
Cons
  • Being on-call so much really interferes with work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management struggles, high turnover (in 8 reviews)

1. "caregiver"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Redondo Beach, CA

Pros

many opportunities for overtime
     great patients
    families

Cons

understaffed not enough staff
    over worked
    not a lot of room for growth

"Inconsistency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alhambra, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alhambra, CA

Pros

It would be a better place if people knew what they were doing.

Cons

No consistency within the leadership team. What you see is what you get! A lot of talk! The only time I see them perform well is when they know corporate is coming.

"not good at the time"

Former Employee - Marketing Liaison in La Verne, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Liaison in La Verne, CA

I worked at Silverado (Less than a year)

Pros

name recognition due to facilities

Cons

no direction in management; liaisons rely too much on facilities to obtain patients - no institutional perspective in management

"Why such the high turn over??"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The associates are generally friendly and truly care for the residents. Working with the residents will truly widen ones perspective on life.

Cons

I have seen many people get fired (Esp. In the Engagement Department)with out warnings for reasons that could have been handled in a much different and efficient manner. They have been firing people left and right with out even giving people chances and it is not right. I love my job, but the way administration has handled many situations is unnecessary. Many people have seen this behavior and resigned. One of my co-workers who just had a new born a few months back got terminated for something that could have easily been handled better. Many members of the administration should act like leaders instead of dictators, and they wonder why the have such a high turn over?? You can not treat people like that and expect them to stay and work for you.

Advice to Management

Treat people fairly with the respect they deserve, listen to fresh ideas, and don't be so quick to fire someone with out talking to them for minor situations.

"Family Ambassador"

Former Employee - Family Ambassador in Roanoke, TX
    Former Employee - Family Ambassador in Roanoke, TX

I worked at Silverado (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive environment and colleagues, nice families

Cons

Unrealistic with sales goals at low performing community with BAD reputation. It takes a while to turn things around. Disconnect with executive management, regional team, and community leadership. Even with high-performing communities, the theme is more, more, more! Very greedy!

"mixed bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you can bring your pets or kids to work. 99% of coworkers are pleasant, positive, and sweet to the residents. Family members are usually fabulous. They're under a great burden, yet they stop and thank you, and sometimes get to know you. When their loved one is there at length, you become part of their experience--and it's personally meaningful to make that connection.

Cons

Upper Management Does not take employee's feedback seriously. More concerned with image than reality. promises more to families than they can deliver. What they claim to do, and what they really do are often worlds apart. For example, Silverado's web site claims that at one particular community, the residents do A, B, and C. I worked in that building for two years and it didn't happen. One community might be really good in an area--say, resident engagement. Another community might be completely different in budget and priorities.
    Pets--residents keeping pets, and the community animals are a lovely idea and a great marketing tool. However, Silverado doesn't prioritize animal safety and quality of care. it varied according to the employees' level of concern, ability and willingness to advocate for the animals who are in most cases more defenseless than residents. Even if Silverado as an entity doesn't actually 'care' that the animals are living creatures, they should invest in one of the most popular features to prospective and current families. In my experience, an animal has to be strangled or suffocated several times before anyone listens to concerns. There was a turtle who outgrew her tank and had almost no room to move. it took over a year before anyone took action, in spite of family and employee concerns.
    I realize all employees are busy, and may not have the time or the training to be concerned with animal well-being when resident well-being can be so overwhelming. However, I actually had more than one organized solution to the issue, that would not have cost corporate anything extra, overall. No one with any power was really interested in listening to solutions--because maintaining status quo wasn't really affecting them.
    Resident care is the same. I saw some very unsafe transferring practices in at least two separate communities. Unsafe, yet not against policy. I mentioned to supervisor of the particular department-- and she became angry and sarcastic. She has no training in PT/OT and I do, if she doesn't care about the residents or employees getting injured, she or upper management should at least care about the potential lawsuits.
    In summary, in my opinion, the Silverado I experienced was very short-sighted. I feel the way things were handled at my primary community is analogous to landlords I've had in the past: a house could be structurally unsound, crumbling at its foundations. Yet they slap a few costs of paint on, maybe replace a board here or there--so they can rent it out to someone else--buying up more properties so they can repeat the process exponentially.
    Silverado has a great mission statements, and I believe, most likely began as a solid structure. But it's crumbling in ways that require more than short-term solutions.

Advice to Management

the town meetings sound like a good idea--I never was able to attend due to the nature of my position. However, the employee consensus is that they're a farce. I worked at a hospital years ago that had a great way for feedback to truly be anonymous. Everyone randomly was assigned a number--then over a month or so they would have days specified for say, odd numbers 1-50-and then when it was the day your number came up--you did everything electronically and anonymously. Changes were made based upon feedback received, some small, some big. Management would do well to invest in employees concerns and grievances.
    The same company had another policy that Silverado would do well to implement. I'm sure I'd still be employed if this was the case.
    their policy was that, if someone got fired, they could request a jury of their peers and basically have a "hearing". If the jury felt the termination was unjust, the person would be re-instated. I'm sure it didn't apply in cases of illegal activity, etc.
    I've heard of too many people getting terminated for unknown reasons or personal reasons at Silverado. Something like this would be a great feature to tell employees their contribution is valuable, and you don't want to lose good employees over misunderstandings or possibly a dysfunctional link in the managerial chain. I would still be employed, I'm sure. I loved Silverado's stated mission, the residents, team members, pets, and families. I stopped pursuing a more lucrative career because I felt I had a purpose in being there. Yet, when I was suddenly terminated, the reasons they gave didn't ring completely true. I still don't know why I'm not there. I'm not disgruntled--I would go back (in another capacity, if asked.) But if corporate management wants a strong company--one that is there for a purpose in addition to profit, they would do well to pay attention to articulate team members and former team members. It's easy enough to see who is being sincere, and who is just blowing off steam. thanks for reading.
    Oh, one last thing. Have you guys ever considered that most of your employees, especially caregivers and service personnel. wouldn't be able to afford care at Silverado, even if their entire career was spent there? I know there is long term coverage, et al...but I sincerely doubt its adequate to cover Silverado care. I think your company would do well to start a pre-paid coverage plan of some type that silverado employees could pay into ahead of time, and if the time comes they could use that plus a discount of some type. I haven't worked out all the details in my head-but I just think it's only fair. Alternately, whatever long term coverage you do offer, I hope you make sure it would actually cover care at Silverado

"I learned a lot. However, I was highly underpaid and overworked"

Current Employee - CNA in Encinitas, CA
    Current Employee - CNA in Encinitas, CA

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is overall a fun place to work. I strongly bonded with my coworkers and residents. Most family members are appreciative of your work and most nurses are just dolls. Overall everyone that work directly with residents are very dedicated to their job and try their best. Working with Alzheimer's is a huge experience. You can bring your kids or pets to work.

Cons

Management is the biggest problem with the place. They were very closed to suggestion and approach about problems. The pay is the lowest in the market and the job is the hardest. You will not get paid enough to do your job. Period. The ratio resident per caregiver is not very realistic compared to the difficulty of the job due to the nature of the disease they are "specialized" in and what they expect from the caregiver. You do not have room to grow in the company at all

Advice to Management

Management seriously need to get evaluated. The amount of people coming and going is absurd. They do not listen to our suggestion and dismiss everything as "bad attitude" or "not made for the job". They have been losing great caregiver because they simply can't relate and appreciate their employees

Jun 12, 2015 – Vice President of Human Resources

Thank you for your service and dedication to enriching the lives of our residents and their families at Encinitas. We would love to learn more about how you believe we can open the lines of ... More

"They don't practice what they preach."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at Silverado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents are amazing. Most of them are kind and appreciative. Families are in tough situations and as a Silverado associate we had the opportunity to make it better.

Cons

As a member of Leadership I was frustrated and fired after only three months. There is a lot of lip service to the 'Silverado Standards', 52 written guidelines to the culture that the founders want to maintain, but it is just that - lip service. Associates get upset with Leadership, but Leadership has their hands tied. They say you can be honest and genuine but honesty got me fired.

Advice to Management

Support the Communities by hiring more competent Administrators. Don't retaliate when you hear something you need to, but don't want to, hear. Train the associates before expecting them to know the 'culture'.

Jan 13, 2015 – Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate that you recognize how truly amazing our residents and their families are. While I cannot speak to your specific experience or ... More

"LVN ( Charge Nurse )"

Former Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in San Juan Capistrano, CA
    Former Employee - LVN Charge Nurse in San Juan Capistrano, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the residents and co-workers. The motto of the company is great. I wish that they cared about the employees as well.

Cons

Management does not support the employees. They will fire you rather than work to solve problems. I have seen great nurses and caregivers fired. They tossed them out like disposable gloves.

Advice to Management

Encourage and invest in your employees, without them business suffers, your residents suffer and that is a shame.

Aug 19, 2014 – Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. At Silverado, we really try and focus on support and education for our associates – beyond the requirements of continuing education for your licensure ... More

"Good Communities and Bad Corporate Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Silverado communities are very good for residents.
    Great place to work until 2011 when company sold...finest people anywhere. Rightfully won awards.
    Company's philosophy is Love is Greater than Fear

Cons

With one or two exceptions, all the great people are gone from the corporate office.
    The executives are having a very serious problem finding and keeping anyone in leadership positions because some new managers are very controlling and old managers are afraid.
    Sadly, "Love is Greater than Fear" is now bogus.
    HR is unsympathetic - even to the point of betrayal - to good, long-term, trusting employees.

Advice to Management

Admit you recently made some big mistakes, get rid of the bad guys and get your company back on track to the big success it was before you sold it.