Silverado Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

Silverado President, Chairman & CEO Loren B. Shook
Loren B. Shook
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They let you bring your children to work (in 6 reviews)

• You can bring your kids or pets to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Being on-call so much really interferes with work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management struggles, high turnover (in 8 reviews)

"Personal Care Attendant"

Current Employee - Personal Care Attendant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Personal Care Attendant in San Diego, CA

Pros

Very friendly employees and care coordinators and mangers are there to talk regarding employee concerns

Cons

Control of work hours a week to maximum of 40hours if possible but will sometimes give extra OT hours if there are emergency cases to be filled in

Advice to Management

Wish Silverado At Home employees can also be employed at Silverado Communities at the same time to put in extra hours a week.

"mixed bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Silverado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you can bring your pets or kids to work. 99% of coworkers are pleasant, positive, and sweet to the residents. Family members are usually fabulous. They're under a great burden, yet they stop and thank you, and sometimes get to know you. When their loved one is there at length, you become part of their experience--and it's personally meaningful to make that connection.

Cons

Upper Management Does not take employee's feedback seriously. More concerned with image than reality. promises more to families than they can deliver. What they claim to do, and what they really do are often worlds apart. For example, Silverado's web site claims that at one particular community, the residents do A, B, and C. I worked in that building for two years and it didn't happen. One community might be really good in an area--say, resident engagement. Another community might be completely different in budget and priorities.
    Pets--residents keeping pets, and the community animals are a lovely idea and a great marketing tool. However, Silverado doesn't prioritize animal safety and quality of care. it varied according to the employees' level of concern, ability and willingness to advocate for the animals who are in most cases more defenseless than residents. Even if Silverado as an entity doesn't actually 'care' that the animals are living creatures, they should invest in one of the most popular features to prospective and current families. In my experience, an animal has to be strangled or suffocated several times before anyone listens to concerns. There was a turtle who outgrew her tank and had almost no room to move. it took over a year before anyone took action, in spite of family and employee concerns.
    I realize all employees are busy, and may not have the time or the training to be concerned with animal well-being when resident well-being can be so overwhelming. However, I actually had more than one organized solution to the issue, that would not have cost corporate anything extra, overall. No one with any power was really interested in listening to solutions--because maintaining status quo wasn't really affecting them.
    Resident care is the same. I saw some very unsafe transferring practices in at least two separate communities. Unsafe, yet not against policy. I mentioned to supervisor of the particular department-- and she became angry and sarcastic. She has no training in PT/OT and I do, if she doesn't care about the residents or employees getting injured, she or upper management should at least care about the potential lawsuits.
    In summary, in my opinion, the Silverado I experienced was very short-sighted. I feel the way things were handled at my primary community is analogous to landlords I've had in the past: a house could be structurally unsound, crumbling at its foundations. Yet they slap a few costs of paint on, maybe replace a board here or there--so they can rent it out to someone else--buying up more properties so they can repeat the process exponentially.
    Silverado has a great mission statements, and I believe, most likely began as a solid structure. But it's crumbling in ways that require more than short-term solutions.

Advice to Management

the town meetings sound like a good idea--I never was able to attend due to the nature of my position. However, the employee consensus is that they're a farce. I worked at a hospital years ago that had a great way for feedback to truly be anonymous. Everyone randomly was assigned a number--then over a month or so they would have days specified for say, odd numbers 1-50-and then when it was the day your number came up--you did everything electronically and anonymously. Changes were made based upon feedback received, some small, some big. Management would do well to invest in employees concerns and grievances.
    The same company had another policy that Silverado would do well to implement. I'm sure I'd still be employed if this was the case.
    their policy was that, if someone got fired, they could request a jury of their peers and basically have a "hearing". If the jury felt the termination was unjust, the person would be re-instated. I'm sure it didn't apply in cases of illegal activity, etc.
    I've heard of too many people getting terminated for unknown reasons or personal reasons at Silverado. Something like this would be a great feature to tell employees their contribution is valuable, and you don't want to lose good employees over misunderstandings or possibly a dysfunctional link in the managerial chain. I would still be employed, I'm sure. I loved Silverado's stated mission, the residents, team members, pets, and families. I stopped pursuing a more lucrative career because I felt I had a purpose in being there. Yet, when I was suddenly terminated, the reasons they gave didn't ring completely true. I still don't know why I'm not there. I'm not disgruntled--I would go back (in another capacity, if asked.) But if corporate management wants a strong company--one that is there for a purpose in addition to profit, they would do well to pay attention to articulate team members and former team members. It's easy enough to see who is being sincere, and who is just blowing off steam. thanks for reading.
    Oh, one last thing. Have you guys ever considered that most of your employees, especially caregivers and service personnel. wouldn't be able to afford care at Silverado, even if their entire career was spent there? I know there is long term coverage, et al...but I sincerely doubt its adequate to cover Silverado care. I think your company would do well to start a pre-paid coverage plan of some type that silverado employees could pay into ahead of time, and if the time comes they could use that plus a discount of some type. I haven't worked out all the details in my head-but I just think it's only fair. Alternately, whatever long term coverage you do offer, I hope you make sure it would actually cover care at Silverado

3. "Silverado Hospice"

Former Intern - Intern - Monthly in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Intern - Monthly in San Diego, CA

I worked at Silverado as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment, helpful staff, great management

Cons

Difficult working with high turnover rate

Advice to Management

None

"Wasted time and energy"

Former Employee - Professional, Master Level in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Professional, Master Level in San Diego, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any right now

Cons

Very negative, paranoid office atmosphere. They smile and act nice to you, but crucify you behind closed doors. I've never been treated this way in my entire career.

Advice to Management

You might want to do some exit interviewIingto see what's really going on in the isolated little offices, what is that turnover really about?

Jun 11, 2014 – Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for posting your response. We are proud to say that we have taken your advice and there have been significant changes to our San Diego office in the past few weeks.

Because of input... More

"Stressful work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work if you have the right supervisor. In the time I was there I had between 4-6 supervisors and only 3 were good. The others didn't understand what leadership really meant.

Cons

They don't have established policies, every office runs things differently. They change client rates without letting the entire team know about the changes.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that management take a good look at their administrators and ensure they are being fair and conducting themselves in a professional and legal way. They tend to just fire people for no good reason.

Jun 11, 2014 – Sr. Director of Employee Relations and Recruiting

Thank you for your 5+ years of service and for posting sharing your feedback. We are proud to say that we have made significant changes to our San Diego office in the past few weeks.

Because of... More

"San Diego office - WOW these are SCARY people to work for"

Former Employee - Nurse in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Nurse in San Diego, CA

I worked at Silverado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

San Diego has pretty weather...?

Cons

Revolving door. Punitive enviornment. If a family is grieving and complains EVERYONE present is blamed. No recognition for a job well done. Your job may disappear and you will never know what happened. Some people are not paid a living wage (yes, even nurses).

Advice to Management

Really consider removing current management and replace with appropriate and positive management who dont have their own array of serious emotional and behavioral problems.

Jan 15, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you for your more than 5 years of service to Silverado, our residents, patients and clients.

Our Home Office Human Resources team would love the opportunity to speak with you about your... More

"Just like a pancake: Flipped from one side to the other"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Autonomy
    Colleagues are great
    Excellent corporate training

Cons

Poor local training
    Management had archaic strategies
    Management gossips
    Company seems to lay off or fire people who are over 40 years old
    Management relies on employee to train their replacement prior to being fired or laid off
    Few reviews if any; I was never given a review

Advice to Management

Mr. Shook you may want to send in an undercover boss to determine the "real" knowledge level of local managers. In my opinion it is unethical to request an employee to "train" their replacement with no knowledge that they were about to be terminated. I saw this happen in all divisions of the organization including the corporate offices. Unfortunately the few long timers are quite capable of discrediting an employee just prior to termination.