Silverchair Learning Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Triandiflou
1 Rating

1. "Fun, small, and laid back atmosphere; entry level not too exciting but lead to opportunities."

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Silverchair Learning Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Fun people to work with
    -Laid back environment but got work done

Was a young company that just got acquisitioned so lots of changes at all levels of the company.

Cons

-Fairly young so a lot of management was overworked and stuff overlooked

2. "Decent place to gain experience in a sales environment"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cary, NC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cary, NC

I worked at Silverchair Learning Systems as an intern

Pros

The work was easy for a call center environment and there was good access to upper level management within the organization who would listen to intern recommendations.

Cons

Transitional period with the Vista acquisition last summer had some full-time employees on edge. Beyond that, there were few cons in terms of the internship program.

Advice to Management

The upper management was fine in the Cary office but there was need for some organizational change to accommodate the company's acquisition by Vista.

3. "Wonderful place to work"

I worked at Silverchair Learning Systems full-time

Pros

All information for before purchase by Vista Equity - Wonderful work environment, client focused, good benefits and great location.

Cons

All information for before purchase by Vista Equity - Bad strategic decisions, no clear product vision

"Used to be pretty great"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair Learning Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SLS used to be a pretty great place to work until we got sold last year. Salaries were pretty good for Charlottesville, we had a lot of autonomy in our work and management really cared about the employees and customers as people.

Cons

Now they're moving the headquarters to the sales office and anyone who doesn't want to move is on the street. They're replacing all the veterans with recent college grads (read, cheaper). It may turn out ok for the new folks, but who knows? 75% of the company will be new hires. Expect to be a replaceable cog in the wheel.

Advice to Management

Not sure your strategy of laying off most of your experienced, skilled workers and replacing them with kids is going to pay off. Was it worth holding onto your salespeople and losing most of your developers? Good luck with that.

6. "The internship experience for me was isolated, I was the only intern."

Former Employee - Intern in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

It was easy to get the internship. Only one interview, and then I was accepted. They attempted to tailor my project to my major.

Cons

The work environment was poor, especially for an intern. Most everyone was older (40+) and kept to themselves. But, I was in the software development department, could be totally different in the business/sales department.

Advice to Management

First, hire at least two interns at a time and put them next to each other. Second, provide constructive criticism on my professional skills, that it the reason I am there.