Silverchair Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Thane Kerner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Incredible People, Collaborative & Strategic Environment, Growing Company"

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As many reviewers have said, the people at Silverchair are incredible. They're smart and so good at what they do, but they're also warm and friendly and supportive, which is why work and social lives can bleed together for many employees.

The work is challenging and fast-paced, but management works hard to make sure everyone is heard, complaints are followed all the way through to solutions, and strategies and processes are constantly re-evaluated and optimized.

I really appreciate Silverchair's clear devotion to being a "learning culture" and to constant improvement. I deeply admire, respect, and even LIKE my coworkers - a rarity far too often in the workplace.

Silverchair is clearly going places, so now is an especially fun time to be working here.

Also: the snacks are great, and there's a KEG of nitro cold brew.

Cons

Because of the devotion to continuous improvement (and Agile process), things are always changing: whether it's teams moving to a different physical space, processes changing frequently, team members moving to other teams, or new products/services being introduced. I can see how this could be overwhelming to people who like a predictable and more rigid environment. But if you come in with an open mind and flexibility, it's easy to see how all these adjustments contribute to making things ever better.

Advice to Management

Communication is always an issue with large, growing companies who juggle a variety of teams, operational priorities, and clients. I think Silverchair is doing a good job of it, but it's always good to keep that at the forefront so people feel informed and included.

Jan 15, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you very much! We really do have some of the best people who are fun to work and hangout with. 2017 was a great year for us and that is because of you and the rest of the team.
    Our pace is... More

2. "High-Performance Environment at a Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Architect in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible colleagues
    Great culture
    Excellent employer-sponsored benefits
    Community involvement
    People-oriented company
    Focus on employee wellness

Cons

These things are improving but worth mentioning:
    Lack of structured leadership
    Little timely feedback
    Unclear paths for advancement
    Low-competitive compensation

Advice to Management

Continue to build on employee development programs and career growth paths. Make it clearer to individuals what opportunities exist and how to grow into role advancement. Work to be more competitive for the Charlottesville area with respect to compensation. Be more proactive and timely in delivering constructive feedback to employees.

Aug 15, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for this great feedback. We are continuously working with our managers on developing career tracks and ensuring timely feedback.

3. "Cliques"

I worked at Silverchair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location on the Cville downtown mall is cool. One of the few pure Agile shops I've seen. Decent technology stack

Cons

Cliques with the power cliques dominated by people with little external experience, and those same people are really not very good at managing others in a positive way. They have the punitive techniques nailed, though. A small company (~150) that just can't seem to break the mindset needed to take the next stage in growth. They are stuck.

Advice to Management

Calm down, be supportive.

Aug 15, 2018 – Chief People Officer

I'm sorry to hear your experience working at Silverchair was not positive. We are always trying to learn and get better - thank you for the feedback. We appreciate you helping us grow.

4. "High Challenge / High Reward"

I have been working at Silverchair full-time

Pros

Fast paced. Rapidly growing. Our success has led to a quickly evolving workplace where top performers rise rapidly.

Cons

Success brings tensions at times where the process and practices that made you successfully need to be changed because your successful. Rapid growth sometimes means that short term challenges....

Advice to Management

Clear transparent communication with the workforce. More Management By Walking Around... less ivory tower.

Follow the three A's - Acknowledge, Align, and Assure when dealing with the temporary challenges of rapid growth.

Aug 15, 2018 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for this feedback. We are growing and sometimes, as you say, growth brings challenges. Appreciate the advice of the 3 A 's. :)

5. "Pretty great"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, flexible environment, occasional telecommuting is ok, generous PTO

Cons

Getting acclimated is difficult and takes time, complex systems with many points of failure creates regular stress

"Winning new business and maturing"

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Silverchair's learning culture welcomes new ideas which helps us win and deliver on business commitments. Recent client engagements stretched our products, processes and people. We continue to mature and be ready for the next big challenge!

Cons

Pace of organization can be stressful

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on capturing the market with a product that balances software development platform offering and custom development.

Feb 7, 2017 – Chief People Officer

We are continuing to mature and grow and our clients have stretched us into being even better. We aim to keep the stress to a minimum and we can do better. Thank you for the feedback. We have a great... More

7. "Great Colleagues, Engaging Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Engaging, Challenging Work
    • Bright, Motivated Colleagues
    • Training, Personal & Professional Development Opportunities
    • Supportive Manager
    • Location on Downtown Mall
    • Lunches, Celebrations, After-Work Socials
    • Fast-Paced Environment = Time Flies

Cons

Fast-Paced Environment presents unique challenges as well. While time flies, it can really fly sometimes, and requires organization, focus, and adaptability to succeed.

Advice to Management

Continue to steer with the value of solving problems with empathy and creativity, and support all SC colleagues in their path to grow and develop with enthusiasm.

Jan 26, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Great feedback, thank you! We really do have an awesome team. Our environment is definitely fast paced and requires work to thrive. We are committed to our people and will continue to live by our... More

"Don't Judge a Book By its Cover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Silverchair full-time

Pros

Location on the downtown mall.

Cons

The work culture appears very stimulating and supportive at the onset and it feels like a real accomplishment to make it through the lengthy interview process and be accepted into that culture. But looks can be deceiving and the environment can be cold and unfriendly if you're not in one of the cliques. People with little to no management experience are given the task of managing others and a passive/aggressive style seemed the norm. Silvercharians take themselves very seriously and it can be a pretty humorless workday. Add to that a tendency to gouge the clients and overcharge for simple fixes can make for a contentious relationship with customers. All in all, looks good from the outside, but a different story once inside. Beware!

Jan 25, 2017 – Chief People Officer

I'm sorry to hear that was your experience. We try to make this a great place to work and one where people feel engaged and empowered to be their best. Thank you for the feedback. We'll take this on... More

"Great People, Poor Work/Life Balance and No Path to Personal Success"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Silverchair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues
    Engaging and Challenging work
    Evolving Customer Landscape

Cons

No path to promotion plan
    Low wages
    No pay raises
    Small bonus
    99% work 1% life balance
    Performance feedback missing
    Inexperienced/under experienced supervisors
    Expensive health insurance
    Unable to execute on long term business growth strategies for customers

Advice to Management

Spend time building clear career paths with employees, if there are none, be honest
    Provide feedback often
    Hold senior leadership accountable for responding to platform customer queries

Dec 7, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. Our environment is challenging, with great people, and our customers are continuing to evolve, which makes this a fun place to be.
    Ensuring colleagues get timely feedback... More

"Complicated and difficult to succeed"

I worked at Silverchair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people and teammates; strong customer focus

Cons

Difficulty in understanding goals and success measures

Dec 7, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you. We think we have great teammates! As a learning organization we know we can always do better. Thanks for the feedback on goals and success measures.