Silverchair Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thane Kerner

1. Featured Review

"Great Colleagues, Engaging Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Engaging, Challenging Work
    • Bright, Motivated Colleagues
    • Training, Personal & Professional Development Opportunities
    • Supportive Manager
    • Location on Downtown Mall
    • Lunches, Celebrations, After-Work Socials
    • Fast-Paced Environment = Time Flies

Cons

Fast-Paced Environment presents unique challenges as well. While time flies, it can really fly sometimes, and requires organization, focus, and adaptability to succeed.

Advice to Management

Continue to steer with the value of solving problems with empathy and creativity, and support all SC colleagues in their path to grow and develop with enthusiasm.

Jan 26, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Great feedback, thank you! We really do have an awesome team. Our environment is definitely fast paced and requires work to thrive. We are committed to our people and will continue to live by our ... More

"Don't Judge a Book By its Cover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Silverchair full-time

Pros

Location on the downtown mall.

Cons

The work culture appears very stimulating and supportive at the onset and it feels like a real accomplishment to make it through the lengthy interview process and be accepted into that culture. But looks can be deceiving and the environment can be cold and unfriendly if you're not in one of the cliques. People with little to no management experience are given the task of managing others and a passive/aggressive style seemed the norm. Silvercharians take themselves very seriously and it can be a pretty humorless workday. Add to that a tendency to gouge the clients and overcharge for simple fixes can make for a contentious relationship with customers. All in all, looks good from the outside, but a different story once inside. Beware!

Jan 25, 2017 – Chief People Officer

I'm sorry to hear that was your experience. We try to make this a great place to work and one where people feel engaged and empowered to be their best. Thank you for the feedback. We'll take this on ... More

"Great People, Poor Work/Life Balance and No Path to Personal Success"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Silverchair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues
    Engaging and Challenging work
    Evolving Customer Landscape

Cons

No path to promotion plan
    Low wages
    No pay raises
    Small bonus
    99% work 1% life balance
    Performance feedback missing
    Inexperienced/under experienced supervisors
    Expensive health insurance
    Unable to execute on long term business growth strategies for customers

Advice to Management

Spend time building clear career paths with employees, if there are none, be honest
    Provide feedback often
    Hold senior leadership accountable for responding to platform customer queries

Dec 7, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. Our environment is challenging, with great people, and our customers are continuing to evolve, which makes this a fun place to be. Ensuring colleagues get timely feedback ... More

"Unprofessionally run company"

Former Employee - Lead Experience Designer in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Experience Designer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Silverchair full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people are great. Smart, motivated, fun. I got on great with my immediate manager. The problems I got to work on were mostly interesting.

Cons

Unprofessionally managed. The stress level of employees went unrecognized and unaddressed. Too many hallway arguments. Pay scale was deliberately opaque, and when I found I was underpaid I had no way to address it. So I went elsewhere.

Aug 22, 2016 – Chief People Officer

I'm sorry to hear this was your experience. Our people are really important and we try our best to acknowledge and appreciate all the hard work people put in. We are constantly learning and ... More

6. "A Challenging and Exciting Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone at Silverchair is dedicated to working hard and making you feel like part of the team. Leadership has made it a priority to ensure that the workplace culture is inviting and satisfying. They are constantly striving to do and be better, and asking for help in the process. Being involved in the STM community provides a sense of charity and cooperation.

Cons

The work can be very fast paced, and for people that are not prepared for that or are unable to manage their time well, it can get very stressful. You must be prepared to work hard and fast.

Advice to Management

Please keep up the great work!

Feb 1, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks! We do try really hard to improve every day and to select people who can keep up with our pace. We are proud of our people and our high performance culture. Thanks for your contributions to ... More

7. "A collaborative work space"

Current Employee - User Experience/Visual Design in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - User Experience/Visual Design in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time

Pros

A UX mind frame that starts at sketches and collaboration with UI developers. The leader in online publishing. Excited for the future!

Cons

There actually too many great places to eat near by!

Advice to Management

Keep allowing employees to own their work. So far so good!

Sep 22, 2015 – Chief People Officer

Thank you! We are in a great location with a lot of fantastic restaurants near by. Our future is definitely bright and that is because of our colleagues driving great work to be done. Thanks for ... More

8. "Great experience at a growing company"

Current Employee - Developer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, extremely intelligent people who are very solid in their roles and easy to work with, wonderful flexibility. Senior Leadership has grown in communication with rest of company on goals and status. Silverchair is a great place to work on the downtown mall and is carving out a significant niche in their industry (STM Publishing) and is sure to be an every growing/better place to work for years to come. I've enjoyed the clear communication of company identity words, such as "speak your mind" and see this operational.

Cons

Sometimes communication across teams can be a challenge in the fast-moving atmosphere but this is being helped by key processes that are currently being put into place

Advice to Management

Senior Leadership needs to continue to grow in being personal with employees and treating them like real human beings, and not just "resources". Verbal and written and even creative ways to recognize teammates (from Senior Leadership) would go a long way as annual "bonuses" are often too little, too late.

Jul 30, 2015 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the feedback! We love hearing we are making progress. We really have a great organization thanks for being a part of it! The advice on recognition is helpful. We believe people are ... More

9. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Pros

Silverchair seems to maintain a balance between being a well organized structured workplace while having a casual atmosphere where people can feel comfortable. This is really the "sweet spot" because it is just casual enough that you can enjoy yourself and not be stressed out every day, while being confident that the company is keeping an eye on the bottom line and moving things forward efficiently. There is not an overtime culture, though some people will occasionally voluntarily work overtime.

One of the things I like about Silverchair is that the leadership are all straight shooters. They are quick to recognize when something isn't working and address it. As a couple other reviewers have mentioned, the company went through a slightly rough patch followed by a transition period in which big changes were made. The effects of decisions, great leadership hires and processes put in place during that time are now being felt and the company is really feeling like a well oiled machine these days.

It is clear that this company values its employees. They plan extracurricular activities, recognize people individually and do random things to show people they are appreciated. The people in management are sincere and approachable. Everyone seems to get along.

Perhaps most importantly, the company seems to be on solid footing financially. Health of a company is an important factor in employee morale.

Career-wise, it definitely feels like you get useful experience and develop important skills.

You get a reasonable amount of PTO, perhaps even slightly above industry average. (They used to not give as much)

Also, location on the downtown mall is nice.

Cons

Many (though not all) workspaces are in an open floorplan. This means you're not in an office or cubicle, but are instead in an open area with other people. It can sometimes be noisy and hard to concentrate. Some people like that atmosphere though.

Health benefits seem expensive for what you get (though I believe the company does supplement a portion of that cost for you, so it could be worse).

Advice to Management

Be supportive of employees' career development, keep lines of communication open. Keep the company moving forward. Keep the "structured/casual" balance as-is. Re-evaluate the open floorplan and see if it is still the best approach.

Jun 26, 2015 – Chief People Officer

This is great feedback, thank you. We aim to have an open, honest, appreciate, and fun environment where our people can thrive. While we have made mistakes, and will continue to, we strive to fail ... More

"Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are some of the best I've ever worked with. They are engaged, dedicated, smart problem solvers. Coasters do not make it here.

Cons

Better project planning and scheduling to avoid too tight deadlines have been difficult in the past. It's improving.

May 1, 2015 – Chief People Officer

Thank you. We do have awesome people! Thanks for all your help, you are part of what makes us great.

11. "Dynamic company in an awesome location"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Silverchair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, cool technology, still a relatively young company with an ability to influence future growth; Really cool office in a historic building right on the downtown mall. Recent senior/exec hires have been good, as they balance out a headstrong CEO.

Cons

had been some turnover as the company changed its strategy, but that largely seem to be over; sometimes the technology is too cool for the company's customers, who are a bit old-fashioned.

Advice to Management

change is inevitable, but sharing is caring; better to be forthright about what you are doing as employees are smarter than you give them credit for. CEO can be "cagey" at times, but he has gotten better.

Apr 10, 2015 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the feedback! We do have some really cool technology and great folks like you. We are constantly learning and trying to be better so thanks for the feedback, it's how we grow and develop. ... More