Silverpop Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Nussey

Pros
  • Great culture, growing industry, competitive product (in 4 reviews)

• The commission plan is very good and the sales team is full of great people who communicated well and worked hard to lift each other up (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Achieving work/life balance can be challenging (in 3 reviews)

• If IBM doesn't get the handle by brining in outsider or giving opportunity to new people this company will collapse in a year or 2 (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good People"

I worked at Silverpop full-time

Pros

In my time there they did excellent hiring and I enjoyed the people that I worked with.

Cons

After being acquired by IBM the office move to the Dunwoody area was a deal-breaker

"Useless, egoisticle, simple-minded management"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Autonomy, interesting space in market, good enough product for mid size companies

Cons

Management so dumb you wonder how they got there. Useless is an understatement. Certain EMEA managers only tactic was to spread fear to gain respect - thing is, nobody respected them anyway.

Strange company to work for, you had to constantly educate people that were meant to be your leaders about what Silverpop actually does.

The company descrimintates, and managers only promoted the weak and quiet under-performing, to avoid competition on themselves.

Advice to Management

Don't leave, you would be exposed for what you are anywhere respectable. Try not to let Ibm see you for the con you are..

"Favoritism, Racism and Discrimination"

Current Employee - Developer in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA
    Current Employee - Developer in Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

I have been working at Silverpop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't see any PRO other than working for "IBM", if that makes it "cool"

Cons

Too many cons. Employees are treated as slaves - turning people against each other by the leadership. Leadership is so poor that they only give opportunity to the people that they are comfortable with not the talent or the qualification. Talented people are leaving as the politics have been getting worst by so called "Sr. managers" but they themselves are unqualified to be IBM manager. If IBM doesn't get the handle by brining in outsider or giving opportunity to new people this company will collapse in a year or 2.

Advice to Management

IBM is EEO so you can't just promote or trust the Silverpop people. Give new people a chance. BTW, if you are racist or favor one person over another based upon whatever then go find a job somewhere else because you can't do this under IBM's clock.

"Very pervasive company to work."

Former Employee - PROVISIONING in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - PROVISIONING in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Silverpop part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holidays off, breakfast, Snacks, Coffee, location, Cafeteria with reasonable prices.

Cons

This is a very insidious, invidious, pervasive, workplace. Very hard to grow within a company that doesn't provide sufficient training on more necessary complex technical issues.

Advice to Management

Needs better training and assistance for all employees. Political and cultural discussions should be eliminated. Needs better equality and opportunity for employees. These type of traits will cause apathy in workplace.

6. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Silverpop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture; smart, witty co-workers. Recognition and rewards are definitely there for those willing to work for them. Professional, courteous interdepartmental relationships. Great benefits.

Cons

Achieving work/life balance can be challenging. 2 am conference calls and 14 hours days are not uncommon, though generally rewarded. People may not go into the office on Saturday and Sunday, but they definitely work then.

Advice to Management

Keep it moving forward and continue to listen to your employees.

"Used to be great then IBM acquired Silverpop"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy Springs, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy Springs, GA

I have been working at Silverpop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In most cases, you have flexibility in terms of your schedule. It depends on the manager. The salaries are still pretty decent and most people are content. Benefit plans are good. Vacation is regular - 15 days and holidays.

Cons

Since the acquisition the way Silverpop did business has quickly disappeared. Where there used to be open roads for free thinking...there are now tons of bureaucratic roadblocks. IBM says that it should "Treasure wild ducks" and that we should "put the client first." But, in reality, IBM is just trying to stay afloat Instead of selection solutions that make sense and work, we have had to integrate with IBM solutions that are cumbersome and often times don't work. Management has been dis-empowered and are trying to find their place. We've seen several great people leave and there's a sentiment that more will leave. However, a lot of the perks that "the Pop" provided seem to be coming to an end.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and analyze what you are doing. These solutions are not helping the clients and IBM will continue on its decline.

"There are better options"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The engineers are generally really good people. The pay is competitive. There are people there fighting to maintain a healthy culture. My boss was awesome. He took special interest in his employees. He started book clubs, and takes an active role in the growth of the developers he oversees. He is very patient and understanding as long as you are open with him, he is candid, and I can't speak highly enough about him.

Cons

I'm genuinely very grateful for my time at Silverpop, but I will not be holding back on listing the cons. Much of this I wish I had said during my exit interview but at the time I was too close to the situation, and this was my first real Software Engineering job. The time away and the job I currently have has helped me gain some perspective.

You can tell there used to be a really great culture with Silverpop. There are people working there that that have been around since the start, and they are some of the nicest people you will work with. You could blame IBM's "blue washing" process for crushing the culture, but I think it was dying off well before that. Silverpop just grew very quickly, and it seems like they made some big mistakes along the way. The teams are also very diverse, and you have no control over where you land. Some teams are abrasive and dogmatic to the point of being unreasonable, leaving you to feel like there's not much room for individuality.

There isn't any valuable cross-team communication, and it is often impossible to track down who made a decision and why it was made. Their UX team is a joke. The decisions they make break conventions. There was a point where their design was adamantly rejected by the majority of engineers, yet they were unyielding and we were forced to comply. They wield too much power with too little supervision.

Now for IBM: The Lenovo laptops they provide are garbage. They are huge and generally terrible to use. IBM's internal tech support and HR is utter garbage. Their intranet is huge, buggy, and impossible to navigate. You are forced to use IBM Notes (a.k.a. Lotus Notes, and no it's not dead). Normally you would think "it's just email" but IBM owns Notes, and the software is so terrible that it genuinely makes you lose faith in the company. Aside from that, their policies are global and since IBM is HUGE and international, you often find your self meeting requirements and doing training that is not even remotely relevant to your job.

IBM's career paths are outdated. They lump their employees into grades, and the documentation on your grade and career path is complex and confusing. It definitely felt like the only way to move up was to brown nose and play politics. They make you waste a lot of time with seemingly useless paperwork and training that is supposed to help you grow in your career. To be clear, I am a huge supporter of employees that encourage learning, but the mandatory learning that IBM pushes makes very little sense as a Software Engineer.

The biggest thing is the stress. Aside from all of the stressors already mentioned, during the acquisition it seems like Silverpop promised IBM some very unrealistic dates for delivering certain features. It definitely felt like the engineers were never consulted. There was a TON of pressure to deliver features and it seemed like every team felt like they were drowning. On top of that there were a ridiculous amount of meetings that were rarely relevant, focused, or productive.

Advice to Management

I would tell my former boss to keep doing what he was doing. The real problems seem to start further up, although the company is so big that I'm honestly not sure who might be considered responsible.

"Was Very Good Experience"

Former Employee - IT Administrative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Administrative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Silverpop (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prior to being bought by IBM the company was a very positive place to work. Startup, casual, friendly, free snacks and .25 sodas, every cube area seemingly had a beer fridge, very family-friendly and latitude given for work life-balance. CEO took many ethical stands that were both surprising and very cool. Except for a few outliers (Finance), most middle management was very good, friendly and promoted a great environment for employees.

Cons

There wasn't much thought given to career development. Now that they've been bought by IBM, I'm afraid the culture will completely die, as they are absorbed into a very bloated and bureaucratic dinosaur of a company.

Advice to Management

It's a shame the board forced Silverpop leadership into the IBM deal. Wherever you go next, I hope you'll recreate the good you did at the 'Pop. It bought/earned a lot of loyalty, imo.

"MOST TERRIBLE PLACE TO WORK FOR ANYONE IN IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

Great office. Great co-workers and colleagues. Pay was decent.

Cons

Micromanagers everywhere.
    Extremely thankless place to work at
    Bootlickers and drop-outs who know how to lick get promoted.
    You must be ready for work at any hour 24/7
    Very heavy work-load. No sign of any work-life balance.

Advice to Management

STOP hiring criminals in QA and Development

11. "Great place for a work-life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Silverpop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Transparency from the top down: The organization goes through great pains to be sure that they strategy and vision for the company are clearly communicated to the staff. Mature agile practitioners. Understanding of family and work-life balance. Host an annual event for the whole family as well as smaller social events.

Cons

Growing pains that most companies experience when moving beyond a couple hundred employees. Silos have been building up that are well defended and produce a detrimental impact on the overall user experience. An engineering organization that is becoming calcified around aging technology.