Simmers Crane Design & Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Simmers Crane Design & Services Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2019

3.9
Simmers Crane Design & Services CEO 	Randy L. Stull (no image)
Randy L. Stull
  1. "A Place That Cares About Doing Things Right"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Simmers Crane Design & Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people at all levels who are willing to help. There is a good team environment and management is willing to listen to suggestions. Pay is good and there is enough work to get as many hours as you want. There are opportunities to change roles and move up within the company.

Cons

The hours can be long and the customer facilities where we work can be hot and dirty.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and show them that you care. Be more vocal about improvements being implemented that were employee suggestions.

Simmers Crane Design & Services2018-08-07
  2. "Original skilled tech from Illinois"

Former Employee - Senior Tech/Lifting Specialist in Rock Island, IL

I worked at Simmers Crane Design & Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

had some good guys to work with from ILL to the east coast, Ohio guys are some fun to work with too,

Cons

Illinois Management hires all lot of none skilled workers and little short on pay, what they say what they do is two different so get it in writing,

Advice to Management

stop firing skilled workers and keeping the other ones ,

Simmers Crane Design & Services2019-07-24

Simmers Crane Design & Services Response

July 25, 2019Manager

Simmers hires professional and skilled people who are generously compensated for their work. As part of our hiring practice every individual is presented with an offer letter that they accept in order to become an employee. Simmers really cares about our employees and their families and it shows with the lowest turnover rates in our industry.....being on the Simmers team it really is about a career and not just a job.

"Salem tech"

Former Employee - Tech in Salem, OH

I worked at Simmers Crane Design & Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can make money if you don't want to see your family.

Cons

Management thinks they do the same job as the field techs so you don't get much respect. You just fall in line a do your job and don't make a single mistake. Your job is to not complain about working 90hrs a week and being in a cheap hotel because they know

Advice to Management

Think about how the company makes its money and value that asset.

Simmers Crane Design & Services2019-07-10
  4. "Growing fast and trying to keep up!"

I have been working at Simmers Crane Design & Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility is good, everyone is like family and look after one another. Good team efforts. A great company with good goals and morals. Constant growth and additions of more elements to the skill set of the company - but they need to plan the repercussions of said growth.

Cons

Difficult to get pay raises. Corporate likes to hold raises and or bonuses over the employees heads to get them to do what they want(work/job wise). There is very little future planning for potential retirements and upcoming work. Many overworked technicians.

Advice to Management

Hire more - build an apprenticeship program as this is a "dying" field and you need younger people in the work to take over for the well experienced to retire. Get rid of the PAPER trail...this is a new era and there is soooo much lack of efficiency in the office(think about implementing 5S). Use the new systems you have that are all cloud based/server based. You could save thousands of dollars just by cutting out... all the paper copies of EVERYTHING!!

Simmers Crane Design & Services2018-09-05
  5. "Crane Tech - Cleveland Branch"

Current Employee - Senior Field Service Technician in Euclid, OH

Pros

I joined Simmers after the company I worked for closed and I was laid off. Since I've been here, they have helped me with additional electrical training and got me certified in welding. I make great money and have also grown in my responsibilities. They make me feel like I matter here.

Cons

There is a lot of work! Sometimes the work in steel mills can be really hot and dirty.

Advice to Management

Keep giving me opportunities to learn new skills and I'll keep doing it!

Simmers Crane Design & Services2018-06-05
  6. "Manager"

I have been working at Simmers Crane Design & Services full-time

Pros

I have worked at Simmer's for many years. It is great to be part of a team that values it's employee's. If you have intiative, committed to your job and go the extra mile, you will be rewarded.

Cons

This can be a busy environment. If you need to be micro-managed, this is not the place to work. You can put in some long hours at times.

Simmers Crane Design & Services2018-03-22
  7. "Good company, challenging and rewarding"

Current Employee - Office in Tonawanda, NY

Pros

The job is very rewarding at the end of the day. You can look back and see the fruits of your labor. Plus making a customer happy is also very rewarding.

Cons

Sometimes the job, like any other job, can be difficult. Dealing with difficult customers and tight deadlines on jobs can be stressful so if staying busy and multi tasking is not for you, this is not the career field you should be in.

Simmers Crane Design & Services2018-03-20

"Excellent Company for Motivated Problem Solvers"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Salem, OH

Pros

The engineers/project managers are given a large degree of autonomy, which is great if you dislike being micro-managed. The environment is friendly and you can always find someone knowledgable on any topic that you need help with. There is a feeling in the office that we are all on the same team and everyone helps out one another to make projects successful. The projects can be interesting and provide unique... challenges. You rarely get stuck doing one thing; the engineers perform the roles of assisting sales in quoting projects, managing the budget and schedule of the project, doing all of the technical work (calculations, design, drawings, material specification, etc), and there are plenty of opportunities to go out in the field to collect data, troubleshoot, and witness several different kinds of cranes in action. Simmers is a meritocracy, plain and simple, and that's the way it should be. The most talented, motivated employees are recognized for their contributions. Compared to some places I've experienced, there are a lot of genuinely nice, motivated people who work here. The desks are spacious and there are often free donuts in the lunchroom. Engineers are paid by the hour, so you are fairly compensated for working extra hours and/or on weekends. Also there is a yearly bonus that is tied to the profitability of the company and personal performance. The company has grown considerably in the last few years. We are almost out of room for new people to be placed.

Cons

Most of the places we do work at are steel mills and the cranes are up high where most of the heat is. There are times you will get absolutely filthy and covered in sweat due to the mill dust/grease and extreme heat. Some of the mills have pretty ridiculous rules that inhibit productivity. Field work is often dangerous. Not a good place if you are afraid of heights. The nature of the work can be very stressful.... Due to having so much control of projects, the pressure is all on you for making them successful and completed on time and budget. The project managers face pressure from several different entities: the customers, the field technicians (who actually carry out your design and project plan), and Simmers management regarding budget issues. Simmers often plays the role of "middleman" between customers and vendors who actually make the products we incorporate into designs. Much of our performance depends on how our vendors perform, which we have little control of. Oftentimes a vendor will let you (and by extension, the customer) down and you will feel frustrated and helpless because there is little you can do. Dealing with some of the technicians, customers, and vendors can be difficult: "Cranes are easy, people are hard." The starting salary for engineers can be quite below the industry average.

Advice to Management

Whatever you're doing, keep it up. It's the people on top who set the tone for the organization and Simmers is a pretty good one to be a part of right now.

Simmers Crane Design & Services2017-07-14
  9. "Good company"

Current Employee - Sales in Buffalo, NY

Pros

You have the ability to make or break yourself. You work hard you will be rewarded. Great people at all levels

Cons

In my opinion we have grown at a very fast rate and our methods need some catching up. Being where I am I realize it can be easier said than done. I do believe if the odd hours are not right for you it could be a con as well

Advice to Management

You have great people in this group look within to succeed. Challenge your great ones more.

Simmers Crane Design & Services2016-11-03
  10. "Good small business to work for with good values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Simmers is a good place to work where you feel like part of the family. Unlike large corporations, you are not just a number. You have the ability to make a real impact here. Small enough to have a purpose but large enough to have support when you need it.

Cons

Like any service business, the job can be demanding at times as well as the customers. At the end of the day pleasing the customer makes the experience worthwhile.

Advice to Management

Invest in training for the future workforce who are coming up through the ranks. The more prepared that our newer, less experienced technicians can be, the better off we will be in the long run.

Simmers Crane Design & Services2016-11-03