KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Simon-Kucher & Partners Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2021

Found 255 of over 485 reviews

4.0
Simon-Kucher & Partners Co-CEO and Co-CEO Dr. Andreas von der Gathen and Mark Billige
Dr. Andreas von der Gathen and Mark Billige
Pros
  • "As a strategy consultant you are looking for three things - Interesting projects, creating real life impact, and engagement with the C-suite(in 17 reviews)

• "Good team, reasonable working hours(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "None I can think about except for typical consulting stuff such as travelling and long hours time to time(in 21 reviews)

• "Working hours- long hours expected at any consultancy(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

nice

Jul 23, 2021 - Head Chef in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

it is very nice with good look

Cons

too much singing up online

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great energy and awesome culture!

Jul 12, 2021 - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Company culture is awesome, always something on the horizon for employee engagement -Everyone is accessible; I was always able to get in touch with people on all levels, no matter their location -People were extremely open, willing to help, and eager to learn and teach! -Management is wonderful, they do everything they can to make sure people on all levels are made to feel important and crucial to the well being of the company -Very diverse! So many people to meet and learn from

Cons

-Pathway for administrative roles limited

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Great place to work

Jul 19, 2021 - Consultant in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You will learn a lot! Great place to work and learn.

Cons

Typical consulting cons: - Managing different Partner personalities - Occasional 70+ hour work weeks and weekends

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great people & culture. Diligent workers & proficient but also chill and friendly. Super positive upper management.

May 18, 2021 - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, life science expertise, interesting work. Pays well and has a clear structure for promotions. Allow you to influence your project assignments even as a new hire/ they want to hear your personal preferences as it displays initiative and want you to enjoy your work.

Cons

The work requires long hours, but they're very up front about that.

1 person found this review helpful

Senior Human Resources Coordinator

Hello. Thank you for sharing your experience working with Simon-Kucher. And, we are so happy that you are enjoying your time here. If you would like to share more with us, please feel free to email us at EmployeeExperience@simon-kucher.com

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

MedTech SF team offers great opportunities for growth

Mar 30, 2021 - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Very interesting projects spanning Tech, Devices, Digitalization, Diagnostics for pricing, marketing, and sales strategy commercialization work 2. Really motivated and smart team, both in the office and in the sister group in Boston 3. Entrepreneurial mindset, definitely a meritocracy with high levels of visibility into the topmost levels of the organization 4. Group plans to double in the next 5 years, which means you can become a leader very quickly 5. Career trajectory and support for diversity and inclusion initiatives from partners and board members 6. Exposure to founders, CEOs, top leaders in top medical technology organizations, which have less hierarchy than pharma 7. Less travel than other consulting firms with a focus on developing a sustainable work life balance

Cons

1. Coming in at a C4 level or higher is challenging. You are expected to perform at a high level soon after start 2. Fast-paced environment requires flexibility and is not for every personality 3. Just like any job, it has work that can be more tedious at times (submitting hours at the end of the week, formatting if our graphics team is overloaded) 4. Again, it's not for everyone. As you progress in your career, it becomes more of a sales oriented business development and relationship driven business 5. It's a pretty selective firm who will not take everyone and has high expectations of people they keep 6. Work is less predictable than industry, which doesn't appeal to everyone 7. There can be higher turnover than industry jobs, although it gives you connections at other firms

Senior Human Resources Coordinator

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is great to see that you are enjoying working for Simon-Kucher. And, we truly appreciate your constructive feedback. We will take it into consideration. Again, thank you so much!!

6. 1.0
      Current Employee

Not Big 3 - Tough Future Career Prospects

Jun 12, 2021 - Director in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Certainly not the management, or mentors who will not have your back.

Cons

Very hard for all the people I have seen come through the company land prestigious jobs post Simon-Kucher. Def not Bain, McKinsey, BCG. Covid required 25% paycut, extra long hours, very bad communication, layoffs, and morale very low. Not on great financial footing, had to take $5-10 Million in PPP loans.

Senior Human Resources Coordinator

Hello. While we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, we are concerned about the many inaccuracies detailed in it. Being that you are a current employee, we would like to take the time to have a discussion with you and provide clarity on these topics. We would encourage you to reach out to our HR team at EmployeeExperience@Simon-Kucher.com to schedule a time to talk with a member of the US HR team confidentially.

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Endless personal and career growth opportunities - Great place to launch a successful career and extensive network

Feb 9, 2021 - Life Sciences Consultant in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Partners and senior management are very much invested in every consultant's personal growth and well being. Through regular 1-on-1 check-ins between Partners and employees, numerous training opportunities, transparent promotion policies, and thorough/extensive performance reviews, SKP's Partner's clearly demonstrated that they value each employee and are willing to put the time and resources towards ensuring employee’s success as a consultant and beyond. Even as I was leaving the company to pursue a different career path, consultants, managers, and Partners were all extremely supportive of my decision and all offered to support in any way they could on my next journey. Working here was a learning experience above and beyond what I expected when hired, and taught me analytical, time-management, communication, research, and technical skills that will give me an advantage in any career I have in the future. Every member of the team is extremely sharp, collaborative, and invested in each other's success. There is little to no competition between employees for promotions or recognition for work, as is often the case with other major firms. Project teams are organized in a flat hierarchy, which allows consultants and new hires to communicate and learn from all team members, regardless of level. Team members (as well as consultants/managers outside of my own projects) are always happy to offer their own advice or insights to any questions you may have. There is very much a mindset of shared responsibility in the interest of efficient, high-quality work, so when one member of a team is at capacity with their work, team members at all levels step up to support and continue to push projects forward. The last thing teams want is for any member to feel overwhelmed. Simon-Kucher has clearly made a big effort in building its culture, and the results continue to pay off. Life Sciences work can be super interesting, and you’ll get the chance to work with a range of some of the most innovative companies in the field. You will get exposure to the C-Suite even as a consultant just getting started, and you’ll have opportunities to take on large amounts of responsibility and prove yourself very quickly. Some advice I got from senior management when I was getting started was that the most successful consultants roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty. I found this to be true in my time with SKP. Work can occasionally be challenging, but ultimately it’s all a learning experience. SKP is extremely well-regarded in the Life Sciences industry and continues to deliver on its reputation as the definitive expert at what it does. Clients repeatedly return to continue work with SKP, and trust SKP as true partners for some of their most important work.

Cons

As to be expected in consulting, hours can be long and clients can occasionally be frustrating. I would not say either of these are particularly bad at Simon-Kucher compared to other firms. Project teams can feel understaffed at times. Not every project will feel like you’re working on the most innovative or exciting product, but you have to take the good with the bad.

Communications & Marketing Manager

Thank you for this review! It is great that you enjoyed working at Simon-Kucher. Please stay in contact with us.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to accelerate your career

Sep 2, 2020 - Director in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Entrepreneurial business model; everyone from consultants to partner is excited to contribute -Opportunity (and encouragement) to rotate to another office for 6 months -Engagement of senior leadership throughout project delivery -Strong expertise in pricing, but growing expertise in other business lines -Meritocracy, high performers are rewarded appropriately through compensation, promotions, interesting assignments -Strong competitive spirit despite being much smaller than the larger strategy consulting companies -Established life science practice well known throughout the industry -Decisive leadership with COVID. Company acted ahead of other companies to furlough/reduce working hours to save jobs longer term. No job cuts due directly to COVID in the US. US team rebounded quickly and back to 100%.

Cons

-Good mentorship of junior associates, but mid-level managers need additional support and training from senior leadership -Struggles to recruit, train, and retain external hires from other companies -Too heavily focused on Europe and US. Asia and LatAm business is underpenetrated and underinvested -Reluctance to let go underperformers impacts team morale -Too heavily focused on company revenue generation in internal messaging. Internal company meetings filled with financial metrics less relevant for junior consultants. Should focus on more tangible metrics for junior consultants, such as employee count, new clients, new topics, etc.

9. 4.0

Pros and Cons

Mar 18, 2021 - Consultant in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to start career, quick learning curve, lots of responsibility early on and exposure to senior team and clients, consistent project work, great junior team, nice office

Cons

Long hours, not great work life balance

Senior Human Resources Coordinator

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your work experience with Simon-Kucher. We agree that there are pros and cons to all jobs and are happy to see that here your pros seem to outweigh the cons. We appreciate you sharing. Many thanks!

10. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great for new consultants, but not an ideal long term destination

Jan 27, 2021 - Consultant in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Skills Training, International Exposure, Travel

Cons

Long work hours, Poor leadership, Compensation lower than industry average

1 person found this review helpful

Senior Human Resources Coordinator

Thank yo so much to taking the time to share your experience with Simon-Kucher. We appreciate the feedback you have given us.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 255 Reviews