Simon-Kucher & Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Simon-Kucher & Partners co CEO Dr. Georg Tacke and Dr. Klaus Hilleke
Dr. Georg Tacke and Dr. Klaus Hilleke

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is sometimes forgotten but something usual for consulting industry (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours, and pay is nowhere near the right levels for consulting (in 9 reviews)

"Solid place to start a career and specialize"

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice people who are thoughtful, hard-working, fun, and enjoyable to be around. Early opportunity for responsibilities.

Cons

The promotion process is a bit ambiguous and poorly run. It's also relatively low pay compared to competitors with a small bonus.

Advice to Management

I would try to be more aware of team / office morale. When certain influential consultants or managers leave on a bad note, it can affect the office very quickly and when it's unnoticed by management, it makes it seem like they don't care about their employees.

"Priorities"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people and the culture at Simon-Kucher are, for the most part, pretty awesome. There are a lot of kind, intelligent people here. The benefits aren't bad either.

Cons

Not a lot of transparency from management/HR. HR especially will tell you one thing one day and something completely different the next. Really makes you wonder what their trying to hide. Support staff frequently is treated as disposable and not worth investing in.

Advice to Management

Keeping people who know what they are doing is beneficial to everyone. Make this a job that is actually worth keeping.

"Best Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work for and with highly dedicated professionals who truly care for the business, and each other. A unique culture of not only working hard, but truly reaping the gifts that come with it. I have finally found a company I am proud to dedicate everything I have to. I plan on staying for years to come.

Cons

I truly have nothing to negate or challenge as of yet. Honestly. Our business is growing at a rapid pace, and the only obstacle now is finding the best of the best to join our forces!

Advice to Management

San Francisco office, keep doing what you are doing. This is the best career choice I have made in some time, and I owe that to you and your leadership!

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The people - seriously smart and super down-to-earth. They really want to make an impact. I couldn't stress on this enough.
    - The work - a wide range of projects and a focus on the solving strategic problems on the revenue side means you end up learning just about everything to do with top-line growth.
    - Work/ Life balance - Definitely far better than most other consulting firms. Partners and project managers strive to ensure that we travel only when necessary and there is a real emphasis on leading by example when it comes to not working on weekends.
    - International travel - As a multinational firm with offices in 23 countries, there are a lot of opportunities for working abroad with our aggressive growth goals, there is always a chance for interested consultants to join brand new offices in new regions.

Cons

-The pay is slightly below average compared to other global, strategy consulting firms.
    -The HR side of things has yet to learn to deal with the growth we have been experiencing. So delayed responses, poor recruitment planning and a lack of centralized information repository for new joiners are common occurrences.

Advice to Management

If we want to retain as well attract high quality talent to satisfy the demand from the high growth we are experiencing, we need to be prepared to pay higher as well.

"Interesting work, great colleauges"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time

Pros

- work is interesting with lots of client interaction, and it's clear that clients appreciate our work and that our work is essential to the clients' success
    - smart, friendly, down to earth colleagues
    - great selection on fruits, yogurt, drinks, snacks etc
    - less travel, some semblance of work-life balance though things can get busy (12-hour work days)

Cons

- lack of diversity (office appears to be 70% caucasian and 30% asian)
    - dearth of females in leadership position
    - lack of people in middle managment (managers/directors/senior consultant)
    - lack of official support for diversity/gender equality
    - salary appears to be 15-20% below industry

Advice to Management

Consulting is strictly people business; invest more in people (support for diversity in a broader sense, improve wages) and culture

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Very caring and personable people. Best in the world in pricing

Cons

Brand not well known. Compensation below top 3 consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Invest more in brand building

"Average experience"

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The partners and colleagues are all generally nice.
    - Good work / life balance.
    - Somewhat of a 'specialist' company.
    - No need to travel too much.

Cons

- Non-competitive salaries.
    - Not many interesting projects.
    - Leadership lacking experience.
    - Job lacking prestige and 'consulting' lifestyle (see first point)
    - Not enough exposure to C-level clients.

Advice to Management

Work on all the cons

8. "Opportunity"

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners full-time

Pros

Team-oriented working environment with a culture of investing in each other's personal / professional growth at all levels

Firm is committed to growing the US business, where plenty of white space still exists for AME, Banking and Life Sciences despite strong and consistent growth

To grow the business, firm partnership is actively committed to developing the next generation of leaders at all levels

Plenty of international opportunities, whether through individual projects or longer-term rotations and office transfers

Cons

Firm still has a lot of room to grow its brand recognition in the US, as the Simon-Kucher name is still not as well known as larger brand name firms to students and others who are considering management consulting

External awareness of the Simon-Kucher brand in the US is much lower than the client base and industry-recognition would otherwise suggest

Advice to Management

Maintain and even further support the firm's entrepreneurial spirit. Continue to emphasize the importance of maintaining a positive internal culture, especially as firm continues to grow with more offices and an increasing headcount

"Support Staff"

Former Employee - Support Staff in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Woburn, MA

I worked at Simon-Kucher & Partners (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed working here quite a bit. Excellent benefits and very pleasant co-workers. The yearly trip to Germany was a highlight.

Cons

Severe imbalance of treatment of support versus non-support staff. Entire review process favors one over the other without recourse. Also a very flat organization particularly among support staff limits personal growth. A particularly poor way to manage staff.

Advice to Management

You are losing far too many valuable staff members due to this error in management. Revising these poor policies will only enhance your ongoing (and much deserved) success.

10. "Consultant IV"

Current Employee - Consultant IV in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant IV in New York, NY

I have been working at Simon-Kucher & Partners (More than a year)

Pros

Team, people, challenging, analytical, diverse

Cons

Work life balance, commercial only