KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 9 of over 155 reviews

3.8
Simple Finance CEO David Hijirida
David Hijirida

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Finance

JPMorgan Chase

87 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Simple Finance and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great while it lasted

Mar 2, 2021 - Customer Service Agent
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice team, friendly managers solid leadership

Cons

Had to interact with many fraudulent accounts and company is closing down now

2. 2.0
    Former Employee

Good benefits. Too metric driven.

Jan 24, 2021 - Customer Service Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, nice coworkers and managers

Cons

Managers are too metric driven, pay isn’t great, workload is too large.

3. 1.0
    Former Employee

Immature

Jan 26, 2021 - Customer Service Representative
    Business Outlook

Pros

snacks, pretty good insurance plan

Cons

stressful. lots of favoritism played. no raises. poor training.

4. 4.0

N/A

May 2, 2019 - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

friendly staff, great environment, opportunity to grow

Cons

I don't have any Cons

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Cute Space, But Shifting and Unrealistic Expectations from Incompetent Middle Management

Feb 6, 2019 - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

free meals several times a month, free coffee and beer, bring your dog to work

Cons

The metrics will constantly change, and they are set by people who have never actually done the work. Middle management, especially for customer operations, vacillate between ineffective at best to actively hindering employee performance at worst. Low pay for the market.

8 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0

Too much unnecessary stress

Jan 19, 2019 - Customer Service in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's a great environment to gain a lot of skills and work with some really great people, especially if you havent had a ton of prior work experience.

Cons

There is far too much stress put on the CR agents and CR department. Management looks down at agents like they're incompetent children who are lucky to even have an hourly rate. Every day there are new harsher and more random expectations that NOBODY cares for and would be able to do their job just fine without. If you're a CR you're bottom of the food chain and better get ready to always feel like secondhand replaceable trash, because that's what you are. Disposable. Simple offers a great culture, but it doesn't really show thanks to the awful treatment people on the lower part of the totem pole get. Once you're a CR there is no moving up. You're stuck and the only bet is to try elsewhere because they dont care enough to let their agents grow and succeed in the same company.

13 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

The ship is sinking fast

Sep 19, 2017 - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits (PTO, health insurance) Free snacks and drinks Corporate Events: summer picnic, etc.

Cons

Simple takes the cake when it comes to the downside of the Portland start up tech company profile: If you're not under 27 years old, then you won't fit here. While they claim to hire individuals from various backgrounds, it is quite the opposite. Almost all of upper management looks the same, and thus get hired for various positions. If we're trying to make Simple the best banking method for all and be different from other banks, it needs to be reflected in all facets of the company. The biggest issue is the recent changes and the lack of communication between the departments. No one knows what the other hand is doing which frustrates not only the employees but customers as well. Case in point: We're told that the company is doing great, meeting our goals, etc. Shortly afterwards, a number of employees went into work, started their day, then were informed that they were laid off, given a severance packages, and had to be escorted out of the office. Upper management tried to smooth things over by having a meeting to explain what happened without telling us what happened. This happened again recently after being informed weeks prior that Simple was doing great in reaching their corporate goals. While it’s understandable that you cannot disclose personal information about a termination, these two instances left a bad taste on our mouths. If a termination like this is going to happen, give your employees the respect by letting them know in advance so they aren’t put in an embarrassing situation in front of their colleagues. There have also been multiple accounts of casual micro-aggressions to POC employees, yet they claim to be a “forward thinking” environment. They’ve had outside groups review how they’re doing and diversity and gender equality was one of the things they needed to work on. Simple decided to solve this by hiring female engineers, incorporating various diversity groups, and patting themselves on the back for a job well done. Yet the micro-aggressions still occur, which means they are either oblivious to this or just don’t seem to care. Simple has switched partner banks and included new features. While this is helpful, things still crash and there are bugs that need to be fixed. The company seems transfixed on getting their business out there and enrolling as many new customers as possible, but they have no idea how hard CR works in keeping their customers happy. There’s only so much you can do when someone is screaming at you over an App issue, and the constant complaints is breaking the team down, and the lack of support from management has resulted in many employees leaving the company.

21 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Uninspired

Aug 29, 2017 - Customer Service in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, commuting assistance, snacks, bi-weekly lunches, good pay at first

Cons

Little to no room for growth, multiple re-orgs, challenging position with no light at the end of the tunnel, no roadmap

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Simple Customer Relations Org

Jun 28, 2017 - Customer Service in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Simple was by far the hardest job I've ever had. It pushed me to grow as an employee and as a person. Simple invested a lot of time and money in me, in the form of onsite and offsite trainings, conferences, courses and peer mentoring. I worked with a ton of amazing, intelligent people and benefitted from the ability to have one-on-ones and meetings with almost anyone. Many people, from all different departments were super approachable and fun to work with. I cannot emphasize enough how much I learned from my experience there. The knowledge that I acquired and the skills that I honed, will no doubt continue to benefit me throughout my career. Plus free coffee, snacks and beer! All the perks you would expect from a tech company. They offered subsidized public transit, fed us lunch occasionally and hosted tons of interesting events in their new SE digs. The healthcare was great for a young, single person like me. I heard complaints from some of the employees with serious health problems, but never experienced any issues myself.

Cons

Unfortunately the company culture is mostly a facade. While there were pockets of people that were lovely to work with, the number of corporate husks was growing rapidly when I left. For every genuine person, there were two that were only interested in pushing there own hidden agendas and making themselves look good to upper management. Simple strives to be innovative, but they've hired executives that have no interest in doing anything new or different, just lining their own pockets by standing on those beneath them. The customer service team members are treated like second class citizens in comparison to the rest of the organization. While Simple originally strove to do something different for both it's customers and employees, it now only cares about profit margins. They've given up on doing anything other than creating a traditional call center and going after customers with more and more money, who have no need of the budgeting services that Simple prides itself on.

18 people found this review helpful