KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

SimpleTense Education Reviews

Updated May 23, 2022

Found 74 of over 74 reviews

4.1
SimpleTense Education Executive Officer Daniel Zhao (no image)
Daniel Zhao

McKinsey & Company

131 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The pay is also reliable and timely, unlike most other freelancers that one often has to expend resources just tracking down for payment.(in 9 reviews)
  • "Supportive staff(in 5 reviews)
  • "I find that it has an outstanding core of people in the management and admin staff who seems to maintain high standards of quality and concern for both clients and writers.(in 3 reviews)
  • "ST is big on communication and so am I.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
  • "However, please note that these downsides are greatly related to how much work you choose to do with SimpleTense.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Freelancer, more than 3 years

Top academic ghostwriting company

May 23, 2022 - Freelance Writer in Athens, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

high pay, flexibility, task availability, bonuses, fair admins

Cons

slow summer season, rigorous workload

Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

Don't make us blush! Aside from trying to please our clients, ST truly believes in empowering our writers and making sure they have the tools necessary to thrive. Thank you so much for all your contributions!

2. 5.0

Excellence in communication

May 10, 2022 - Writer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The admin team is readily available for any and all of my questions, they take their time to give comments that make me a better writer for the platform (and a better writer in general), they express gratitude for a job well done, they give me strong feedback on the kind of writing that suits me, and they always communicate in a way that is sensitive to the writer in me. I have worked in many settings and never felt so appreciated and encouraged.

Cons

Semester-based workload and lack of (occasional) visual interaction for those who like to associate a face with a name.

Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

We always try to find our writers' strengths, and weaknesses, to help them grow. Time is something we all wish we had more of. While it can be tight at times, we'll do whatever we can to assist you in meeting your deadlines.

3. 5.0
    Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Great Opportunity to Learn

May 18, 2022 - Freelance Writer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Besides sharpening your own writing skills, writing for Simple Tense also gives you the chance to learn new things about a wide range of topics. I have personally learned a lot from both the writing/editing process as well the clients. It has been a great pleasure to work with the admin team and editors.

Cons

Not much can be said for cons, since the deadlines for assignments are determined by clients. I often prefer to work on assignments which have at least a 3 day window, but many are submitted which are due the next day or sooner. It's also a matter of timing! Gotta check the orders often!

Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

We're happy to hear you've had such a rewarding experience with us. Being prudent when claiming orders is a great strategy. However, don't be afraid to challenge yourself with tasks that have shorter due times as these orders typically pay out more.

4. 5.0
    Current Freelancer, more than 1 year

Great Company and Pay!

May 2, 2022 - Freelance Writer in Cumming, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at a few different freelance companies and SimpleTense has by far been the best. They have many different options for work and you have the freedom to work as much or as little as you wish. The team is also good about contacting you about tasks they think you might be interested in and there are often opportunities to earn bonuses on tasks as well.

Cons

The only con is that there are periods where there is not as much work as other times, but that is the nature of the business and the individuals they work with. It is fine as long as you know that going into it and I have not really had any issues with finding work when I wanted it.

Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

You're too kind and are humbled by your assessment of us. Though we have slower periods, we do our best to take care of our active writers. Thank you for all that you do!

5. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A wonderful company to work for!

May 3, 2022 - Freelance Writer
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are so many pros! With ST, you can work at your own pace and hours and choose which projects you would like to work on. Additionally, admin is so supportive and helpful to the writers, which is not always the case in the realm of freelance writing. The pay is really up to your availability and writing preferences.

Cons

There are some months that are not as busy as others. Occasionally, a project will require extensive research, and in these cases the pay becomes small compared to the time you have to put in.

Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

We're glad to hear you're enjoying the work! Some orders do tend to be more intensive than others. In these cases we try to update the payout to reflect the nature of the work. If you ever feel you need assistance in research, reach out to us. We will definitely work on our site to make it more mobile friendly. In the meantime, make sure to link your email to your mobile device to receive our email notifications.

6. 5.0
    Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Much better than I had hoped for!

May 8, 2022 - Freelance Writer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have freelanced in the past but it's been a few years. I left a full-time job in aout on my own and return to freelance writing. After my bad experience with my previous employer (long story!) I had set the bar low for any new job that I might take on. rather toxic workplace to go I know this may sound too good to be true, but honestly I have never worked for an employer, in a freelance role or otherwise, who is as well organized and supportive as Simple Tense. Need a reminder on MLA/APA/Chicago style for writing an essay? Simple Tense has templates for that. Having a problem with or a question about an assignment any day of the week? The admin team is there to help and they will respond promptly (as in within minutes!) and in a friendly, collegial manner. Want to be sure you are tracking your assignments and deadlines? Your personal dashboard page has the information you need. Want to know when new assignment has come in? A bell will ring on your computer to let you know that. Reviews of my work have been useful and criticism has been shared without condescension or shaming. Assignments are easy to find and accept, with clear guidelines. Payment is on a regular schedule via PayPal. Again, I know it might seem like this glowing review cannot possibly be honest, but trust me, it is. I have left reviews on other employers and have given the stars and reviews I feel they deserve, good or bad. This review is no different.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that deadlines for some jobs are a bit tight; at times, they can seem unrealistic given the complexity of the client's requirements. In addition, there have been occasions where a customer has moved the deadline to an earlier day or time. However, in terms of the sometimes tight to seemingly unrealistic deadlines, we freelancers pick our own assignments and the deadlines are clearly stated and the complexity of each task is clear. In other words, if you don't want to work on a complex assignment with a tight deadline don't choose that assignment. Regarding changes to deadlines, this is something that I think can be raised with the admin team on a case-by-case basis. Nonetheless, such changes can cause problems for freelancers, who may have carefully planned out how they are going to complete an assignment based on the previously established deadline. Finally (tongue in cheek) the admin team should let knew freelancers know about the bell that rings when new assignments come in. I didn't know about it when I first started and kept wondering where that ringing sound was coming from!

Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

We're so glad that you've found our feedback to be constructive. Although due times can change–on the very rare occasion–we're always happy to help provide our writers all the assistance and resources they need to meet their goals and increase their payout. As for common writer questions, we try to cover these in our series of writer tips emails. If you have further suggestions regarding content you believe may be helpful for other writers, send us an email at hr@simpletense.com

7. 5.0

Great experience

May 19, 2022 - Writer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great flexible job. Editors are thoughtful and helpful. Administration is also very kind and appreciative of the work put in. Overall a great experience so far ( about 10 weeks)

Cons

Sometimes not a lot of work, but it’s seasonal so this is expected. Some projects could be paid out higher due to research needed.

1 person found this review helpful

Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

When extensive research is involved for some orders, we will add a bonus to a writer's payout, do what we can to help source materials, and contact the client for any additional information that may help. As you know, we're always happy to assist in any way we can!

8. 5.0
    Current Freelancer, more than 1 year

Flexible and getting paid to learn and help clients

Jan 3, 2022 - Writer in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

SimpleTense is my favorite company to work for as a freelancer because the staff support is always friendly and helpful, the freedom to choose my workload is both flexible and provides interesting learning opportunities, and I appreciate the bonuses offered to some writers who complete more work during the busy seasons. There are a lot of incentives to write for SimpleTense.

Cons

Client-requested freelance writers can sometimes receive too many task requests at once via email and it can feel overwhelming. The task managers are really helpful at assigning tasks to specific writers, but it might be helpful if they could see what tasks are already in a writer's cue during busy periods.

3 people found this review helpful

Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

Thank you for all that you do! We strive to create an environment in which everyone feels that they are playing to their strengths. If you ever feel overwhelmed just know that we are always on standby to help support you and our other amazing writers. We look forward to a wonderful 2022 ahead with you!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great staff, interesting freelance content, flexible workload

Dec 29, 2021 - Freelance Writer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The staff is wonderful to work with, and they're very supportive of their writers. They're always willing to help and very prompt in their responses. - The work is very diverse, with all sorts of writing and editing jobs. There's also a lot of different subject matter to write about, which keeps things interesting. No matter what you studied in college, you'll probably find tons of work that aligns with your interests and experience. - The workload is really flexible since you only do the work that you claim. Even if a revision comes back, you're not obligated to accept it. You have total control over your schedule and workload. - There's usually plenty of work on the platform, except for slight lulls in between semesters, as should be expected.

Cons

- No cons! I've enjoyed my experience here.

Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

We believe prompt communication is key to maintain smooth operations and to ensure our freelance writers never feel as if they're overburdened or left in the dark. Additionally, giving our writers the freedom and flexibility to work on their own terms is something we believe is conducive to a healthy work/life balance. If you ever need anything we are always more than happy to help. Thank you so much for all your hard work!

10. 1.0
    Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Stay away from SimpleTense

Dec 31, 2021 - Anonymous Contractor in Pasadena, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work is remote and you can set your pace and schedule

Cons

Pay is insultingly low for most assignments. Although the admin team allegedly reviews orders for clarity, half the time the instructions are unclear, missing, and/or the assignment really requires more work than you are compensated for. No room for growth and the initial test assignment is a joke compared to the incomplete and missing orders that are actually on the platform. If you bring up concerns about revisions being in scope, you will end up with deductions anyway, regardless if you are correct or not. This company doesn’t care about employees at all.

4 people found this review helpful

Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

We’re sorry to know that you have had a poor experience at SimpleTense and have felt disrespected. This is something we take seriously, and we hope to address your concerns. The pay ranges significantly based on the complexity of the order as you have mentioned. Typically written works such as reflections and summaries are on the lower end of the pay scale as they do not require extensive research, whereas the higher paid tasks such as graduate level coursework offer competitive market rates. Urgency of orders (e.g., 12-hour to 10-day tasks) also has a significant bearing on the final payout. If anything, we are always willing to work with writers regarding payout concerns and believe that all ST members—whether full-time staff working behind the scenes or its freelance writers—deserve to be compensated accordingly. When it comes to revisions, the admin team often takes all factors into consideration before marking orders in-scope or out-of-scope. In-scope revisions require a deduction because we have failed to meet a client’s order instructions and must be able to compensate another writer for the work that must be completed. Out-of-scope revisions include a bonus because of an additional request made by a client that was not included in an original order. Revisions are also our chance to avoid refund requests later on by adhering to the client’s instructions. That said, sometimes we mark revisions in-scope since it is not fair to charge a client extra, but we actually will give writers a bonus for the additional work they complete. The admin team is always willing to hear about any concerns regarding order instructions, materials, and payout. While we try our best to ensure that all orders are clear before they’re posted to the freelance portal, we can miss things at times and hope that in such cases our writers reach out to us so we can contact the client for clarification. The most successful writers are typically the ones who show initiative and have gone on to become part of the full-time staff. Nevertheless, the last thing we want is for anyone to feel infantilized; we want nothing more than for every one of our freelance and full-time staff to grow. If you would like, please contact us at hr@simpletense.com and we can set up an appointment to see where any miscommunication occurred so that we may ensure that all of our writers feel like they’re valued. Best regards, The SimpleTense Team

Viewing 1 - 10 of 74 Reviews

SimpleTense Education Reviews FAQs

SimpleTense Education has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 74 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at SimpleTense Education to a friend and 78% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 9% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, SimpleTense Education employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at SimpleTense Education. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.

79% of SimpleTense Education employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated SimpleTense Education 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at SimpleTense Education to be career development, management, culture and the cons to be workplace, benefits.

Popular Careers with SimpleTense Education Job Seekers