SimpleTense Education Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2020

4.3
SimpleTense Education Executive Officer Daniel Zhao (no image)
Daniel Zhao
  1. "Fantastic!"

Current Freelancer - Freelance Writer

I have been working at SimpleTense Education for less than a year

Pros

Although my major was not in a related field, I had been pestered for years by friends and family to pursue writing. SimpleTense (ST) has provided me with that opportunity; one that I am beyond grateful for! As a homebody and introvert, I have always preferred my solitude when it comes to working. This is definitely the first job I have worked where I feel that I am trusted and given a tremendous amount of support when needed. The admins are stellar! They have always been there to back me up, prompt in their replies to any inquiries, and have been patient in helping me grow as a writer. I have never felt a greater sense of teamwork! My best to the admins! Some other things: – Payments are always on time – You can work from anywhere – ST deals with everything so you do not have to

Cons

I would not consider these cons for myself however these are some things that prospective writers may want to consider: – There are no benefits – Taxes are not taken out of your earnings – Off season has fewer opportunities I do not mind any of this as the ST model is straightforward, uncomplicated and takes the guesswork out of what I find to be tedious. There are clear set standards, and I personally find this to be refreshing. That being said, if you fail to meet deadlines and are looking for extra perks ST may not be for you. However, you get out of ST what you put into it. If you treat your job with dignity and the admins with respect, ST will be a very rewarding experience.

2. COVID-19

"Excellent Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Writer in Missoula, MT

I have been working at SimpleTense Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was new to this type of freelance writing but was lucky enough to get hired for this company. They have nurtured me as a person and writer even though I have made plenty of mistakes. As long as you work hard and are polite, you will do well here! It can be important to be careful to not take on too much work at one time during the busy seasons in case life stuff happens. The CEO. HR, Admin Team, and Customer Support staff are all wonderful people who care about their clients. The CEO even helped out employees who needed their paychecks early during the peak of COVID-19 in the spring. I cannot recommend SimpleTense enough. You can work flexible hours in the comfort of your home.

Cons

There does not appear to be a way to know your writing tier except for how many tasks you are allowed to take at one time. Depending on your tier, due times for tasks may appear different on your dashboard from the one the writer initially accepted. This due time shift can be surprising, especially for urgent tasks. This is a small issue that only affects those who have gone down in tier because of poor quality writing, missed due times, or too many cancelled tasks.

Continue reading

3. "Caring, Understanding Team"

Current Freelancer - Freelance

I have been working at SimpleTense Education for more than a year

Pros

Strong support among the staff, consistent and timely communication, and once you prove responsible and dependable the company will go out of their way to help you grow.

Cons

Perhaps some more communication regarding the goals of the company, its philosophy going forward and ways to branch out to other freelance areas.

4. "Great/Flexible Way to Make Money"

Current Contractor - Writer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SimpleTense Education for less than a year

Pros

-Able to work anytime, from anywhere. -I make anywhere from $1,000 to $2,400 per month, it is flexible and can be a great side gig, or else can be your main source of income if you are ready to hustle. -Staff helps to facilitate communication with clients. Staff privdes constructive advice to improve your work. -You will very likely become a better writer over time, the more clients that you help. -You learn while working! Write about a wide range of subjects, and we are free to choose the topics of interest. This is my favorite part.

Cons

-Not a conventional workplace for writers/tutors, so there aren't any benefits for contract workers, which is expected with freelancing. -Must be detail oriented and be able to write efficiently, or else this might not be the right gig.

5. "Finally! Consistent Freelance Work/Income"

Current Freelancer - Writer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SimpleTense Education for less than a year

Pros

The work is steady almost year-round because the clientele is international, so the lulls between semesters that may exist with other companies are much shorter with this one. The pay is great and comes on-time every two weeks like clockwork. There are never any issues or excuses about why a writer cannot be paid, which if you have ever freelanced, you know is unheard of. The admins are great about answering questions, tracking down information from clients and just being supportive, especially in the busy season. Seems like there is ample room for growth here as well, which is always a plus.

Cons

Like any position centered on customer service, sometimes your best may not seem like enough for some clients and you have to just do whatever it takes to make the client happy in the end. Sometimes this means revising something because they neglected to mention it or include pertinent information. These are few and far between, however, and is just the nature of the beast.

6. COVID-19

"My favorite freelance gig"

Current Contractor - Freelance Writer in Portland, OR

I have been working at SimpleTense Education for less than a year

Pros

I've been working for SimpleTense while I am currently transitioning between my undergraduate degree and graduate school. I really like working here! First, the writing evaluation they ask you to complete before signing on is a good representation of the average difficulty level and how long it takes to write the paid assignments. Also, all communication with staff has been a positive experience. All discrepancies in orders are handled in a friendly way. They have always paid me on time (or early during the initial covid outbreak) and I feel appreciated by them. I don't see an ethical issue working here. In the real world, sometimes, we have to delegate tasks to other people which can sometimes require hiring someone to help. I think these students genuinely need help and learn from the assignments we help them write. Working for SimpleTense has also given me the opportunity to strengthen my own writing skills, which will help me in graduate school since I will be required to continue writing research papers and academic journals. I look forward to continuing to write for them!

Cons

This job might be difficult and time-consuming if you are not used to writing school papers. If you are used to it though, the timing is no problem.

7. "A Very Positive Experience Overall"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer/Editor

I have been working at SimpleTense Education part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoy working at SimpleTense, because it provides me with an opportunity to set my own, schedule, be compensated to do something I am passionate about and apply the skills I picked up in university. Admins are very responsive and the process of selecting, completing and submitting a task is delightfully straightforward. The pay is both fair and entirely dependent on the tasks you choose to complete. Of all the freelance jobs I've had in my life, this is by far the best.

Cons

Can't think of any offhand, aside from very small bugs in the website and the seasonal nature of the work.

8. "Friendly & Responsive Administrators, Some Issues with Missing Order Documents"

4.0
    Current Contractor - Freelance Writer

I have been working at SimpleTense Education for more than a year

Pros

*Administrators are very friendly and willing to contact the client on your behalf when there are issues with the order. *Set your own schedule in terms of how many of the available orders you would like to take. *Able to specialize in a particular topic that is in high-demand on the portal Finance, Business Administration, Law, etc. to maximize profits. *Sometimes able to message clients directly for access to online systems/databases that would be unavailable otherwise.

Cons

*Orders are sometimes missing supporting documents such as assignment directions and assigned reading by the time they reach writers: there is no way to message back and forth with admin about this before taking the order. *Sometimes clients are unresponsive to both the writer and administrators, forcing writers to improvise. *Minor visual website bugs on the writer's end (new order alert notifications cannot be clicked to bring the writer to the assignment, no indication if/when a client/admin has read a message from the writer.

Continue reading
  9. "Think about the ethic issue before working for this company"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at SimpleTense Education part-time for more than a year

Pros

Online work and flexible hours

Cons

-consider the ethic issue! Helping students to write or “edit” an essay?? -low pay rate -no insurance benefit -do not consider what the employees need.

SimpleTense Education Response

June 8, 2020Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

Hello, thanks for the feedback concerning our hours and the agreeable nature of our online work. I’m not sure why this work is described as not legal (it is) or lacking ethics (it has them), but I will share that SimpleTense succeeds by delegating roles of work to specific positions. Writers write and edit. Customer service talks to the customer. Editors review submissions. And management makes sure people get paid on time. We believe employees deserve space to thrive and find their own solutions, but also support to grow in a focused environment. As far as our rates of pay and insurance benefits are concerned, there’s no glass ceiling here. People who work well in our system grow with the company. It’s that simple. If you feel you were removed from SimpleTense unfairly, I’d invite you to please message me directly so that we could resolve the matter. Again, thank you for your feedback as we work to build a better SimpleTense. –Jacob

10. COVID-19

"Starting to get profit hungry"

1.0
    Former Freelancer - Writer

I worked at SimpleTense Education for less than a year

Pros

-Availability of social science assignments

Cons

-Rates are fixed and do not reflect the urgency of the deadline -There is no live chat function and admin can take up to 4 hours to get back to messages. -The company is handling Covid-19 situation poorly, being more punitive and paternalistic towards writers who cannot meet deadlines. I got a canned email that my services were no longer needed after 1 dropped assignment.

SimpleTense Education Response

April 28, 2020Director of Recruiting and Human Resources

Your feedback regarding SimpleTense is much appreciated, thank you for sharing your perspective in this critical time for so many people. COVID-19 has impacted all of us. When this crisis began, our CEO offered immediate payouts to any freelancer who requested it instead of our usual payment plan. We also provide clearly marked bonuses for urgent jobs. It may be that these changes came into place after your account was created, and we regret any confusion on the matter. Since we process a high volume of work, it is not always possible for us to provide an immediate response. However, we do review work as it comes in to make sure that our freelancers clearly understand expectations. And we will continue to hold high expectations for on-time work from freelancers. Thank you for your positive feedback considering the social science work. Our interest in paper mills is zero, since day 1 we work to give our clients a learning experience they can rely on. We’ll stay focused on that. -Jacob

Found 37 reviews