Simpleview Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Ryan George

"One person's"

Current Employee - Developer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Developer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Simpleview Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This not something I normally do, but after being alerted to a few negative reviews by someone I interviewed, I felt it necessary to write down my thoughts.

It is obvious that management does what they can to treat employees well while also running a business. Sure, it's a job and "hard work" is #1 on the core value list, but in the many years that I have been here, I have seen things ebb and flow. Sometimes morale is down, often times it is very high, which is how I see things today.

As one person put it, we are treated like adults, the benefits package is very strong, and I've always been able to talk to the CEO, COO, my manager or any Director about anything that was on my mind. Who knows where they may lead, but they even awarded stock options this year to every single employee... They didn't have to do that.

I also work with some extremely talented people and I doubt there is a better collection of this kind of intelligence anywhere in Tucson. It can be hard to keep up at times, but it feels good knowing that you are surrounded by good people.

Cons

One person mentioned "70 hour work weeks." This is simply untrue. I am not an early riser by any means, but I'm often one of the last ones at the office at around 7:00pm (the company allows for flex schedules) and there are rarely more than one or two people here that late. In fact, in looking in our projects database, only one person averaged more than 50 hours a week for the year (a sales person who travels constantly), two people approached 50, the programmer that had the most hours averaged 44 for the year, and all employees combined averaged 42. Again, the expectation is that people work hard and work smart, but there is no pressure to work any more than is required to get the job done. This occasionally means working extra hours, but this happens in short stints and resources ultimately get added to spread the load.

One knock would be culture related... Generally, it's awesome, but it's not for everyone. The company is fiercely competitive, not internally, but in wanting to win business and grow. I personally like this, but there is a bit of a disconnect when they try to "soften things up" or get "touchy feely." It does seem fake at times, but this is a small complaint and is something I see as an attempt to relate to the more sensitive and culture-minded in the group. Part of me wishes the CEO would just let loose and say what's on his mind, but given the content of some of these reviews, I am not sure that everyone could handle an even more intense environment....

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I personally haven't seen much change since the private equity investment and have actually never worked for owners who work as hard as our management team does. I would like to see the return of 360 reviews, which have been talked about many times, but only done once.

"Great people, Bad environment for developers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Simpleview Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly nice people. If you ever have any questions or need help with anything I think that every single person in the office would be willing to lend you a hand. I always felt that this would be a good area to focus on and allowing more opportunities for employee interaction (out of the office events) would have gone over well with such a nice group. The education budget was always fun to plan out and getting to goto a major conference every year with travel and ticket paid was a great perk and a great learning experience.

Cons

Cubicle environment, charges east coast prices for work and pays Tucson wages. While they are moving into more modern languages and frameworks you won't be touching anything that would ever bolster your resume at this company which, with how quickly everything moves, is basically tying an anchor around your neck as a developer. Any time taken off from learning and working with the latest and greatest tools is time that you are making yourself obsolete.

Definitely a sales oriented company with developers on the side. Most major perks of the job are given to sales people exclusively and developers are "encouraged" to never just work 8 hours a day but go the extra mile and work more. Your time will be scrutinized down to the minute.

If you are fresh out of school and have no idea what your development skills are worth or if you are older and don't want to bother learning any newer frameworks this could be the spot for you. If you are interested in advancing as a developer you can get double the salary doing better work for a better company heading to Casa Grande or Phoenix (or one of the two places in Tucson that are now paying competitively)

"Simple Enough"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Simpleview Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits package is good, even if compensation is less so.

Employees are competent and (for the most part) easy to get along with.

Snacks!

Cons

First, some operating philosophy...Simpleview applies a rigid "closed structure" approach to just about everything they do. If you aren't management at Simpleview, you are a trained monkey.

Work at Simpleview is copy/paste, and not necessarily because it is maximally effective or optimal, but because it minimizes investment and reduces time and cost. That...and trained monkeys can do it.

It reminded me of the attitude of many of my superiors while I was in service to our military. That is not a compliment.

There also isn't much room for advancement. Despite their attempts to come off as "big time", they are still a small company servicing an industry (mostly CVB) with little growth potential and that is victim to the whims of the taxpayer or bureaucrat.

During my two years at Simpleview, I watched a handful of educated, qualified employees who had been there 4-5+ years with get passed over for a minor advancement to an outside hire straight out of college (and by college I mean the University of Arizona, of course).

While we are on the subject, fitting in at Simpleview means either graduating from the U of A, having a high interest in golf, or having a high self-awareness of your trained monkeyhood.

Male 'shareholders' also seem hesitant to get rid of female employees due to perceived sexism.

In one department alone, two female employees were guilty of multiple terminable offenses including public shouting matches and inappropriate language. Simpleview operates out of one big open office packed with pods...so everyone in every department heard these altercations.

Not long before I left the company, a highly-skilled male employee in the same department was let go for "rubbing people the wrong way". When I asked what people he had rubbed the wrong way, I was told it was the aforementioned two female employees...who were both still employed when I gave notice.

Simpleview is not a bad company, just not a particularly good one either. It's fine for anyone looking to pad their resume for a year or two, but despite what they will tell you regarding advancement, compensation increases, and boundless opportunity, this does not reflect the reality of the company. The shareholders (essentially the company founders and senior management -- though this term is used in the offices as if invoking the Wizard of Oz) are selling a false bill of goods to potential employees.

Simpleview drinking game? Take a shot whenever someone says "shareholders".

Advice to Management

If your philosophy works for you, don't change a thing. Just don't expect employee loyalty or low turnover either.

"Developer"

Former Employee - Developer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Developer in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Simpleview Inc. full-time

Pros

Generous benefits. Plenty of great people with strong backgrounds in a variety of different disciplines. Office is relatively new, and located in a nice area.

Cons

The laid back image that the company tries to promote is, for the large part, a misrepresentation. While the office is very casual, and people are for the most part pretty friendly, the work environment is focused around one singular concern: how much money the developer is generating the company. Sure, it's a business and that's to be expected to some degree, but this on a level that's arguably micromanagement. Again, it's the singular concern, and as a new developer this concern will very quickly become yours too. The metrics for measuring employee performance are inherently stressful and competitive among peers. Do not expect high morale.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to change or make some kind of compromise in favor of employee morale. Or don't, and keep the higher turnover rate if you prefer the higher margins instead.

"Pretends to be laid back and cool, but it's not..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Simpleview Inc. full-time

Pros

You can expect free food and coffee, but there is a reason or that...they never want you to leave work. It is frowned on to work less then 70 hours a week. If you can kiss the behind of the right person, then you are ok, but otherwise, watch your back. It's a job, so just leave it at that. One other thing, the turnover here is high but you will never hear anyone talk about it. One day a person is there, the next day, gone. Of course, you can't talk about it or you will be gone too.

Cons

Fake office culture, long long work hours lots of sickness and butt kissing to ensure job is secure

Advice to Management

Some of you need to retire now and some need to just stop doing coke but the CEO will probably read this at the next company meeting and make jokes and then resort to making threats to the person who wrote this. You will never know its me. The CEO will make it mandatory for all the employees to log on to this site and leave 5 star reviews and get them signed off to show that everything is great and this will also be the next company meeting point

7. "Destination Marketing Technology Company"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Simpleview Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with great managers and they treat you as adults. VPN access to work after hours and if sick can work from home so you don't miss deadlines (still have to take PTO, ugh). Ability to make decent commissions. They have a stocked kitchen to keep you energized and your blood sugar steady. They ENCOURAGE the use of your continuing education Money, its not dog and pony

Cons

ok Base pay for Tucson but low for industry, especially with same paying jobs down the road in Phoenix making 12-15 k more in base plus com. Cost of living isn't so different to justify the means.

Advice to Management

need to create hybrid positions that can sell cross platform deals.

8. "Good if you are in the cool crowd"

I worked at Simpleview Inc. full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, mostly great people

Cons

Very cliquey culture that mostly promotes based on who likes you and who doesnt

9. "Decent place to start a career"

I have been working at Simpleview Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid health insurance, decent amount of paid time off, good place to learn, fun environment (depending on department), mostly good co-workers, CEO is good.

Cons

low salaries, high stress

10. "Loving it here"

I have been working at Simpleview Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work. Wonderful co-workers. Awesome managers. Great opportunities for advancement.Love the snack bar! The Food Trucks! Good work hours. A week off during Chrsitmas with pay! The Monday after Super Bowl we're closed! We get money "to get smarter every year". There's no reason to sit back and not advance in this company. Relaxed attire Mon-Fri.! Massages once a month! Company wide learning sessions with free pizza! What's not to love?

Cons

401K is a lame. Why does the co. match only start after a year? isn't that supposed to bring the company some sort of tax break? You have to wait one year and then you get a lame 3% match. You guys can do a lot better that this. Everything else is close to perfect, if not perfect, but the 401K ...seriously??? Look into it!

Advice to Management

Improve the 401k match and the timing of it all. Other than that...I got nothing. I'm loving it here

"THE place to work in Tucson"

I have been working at Simpleview Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management and leadership team. A lot of terrific out-of-the-box initiatives to increase employee satisfaction and engagement. A never-ending supply of interesting work. A lot of team building, and bonding activities among departments and among employees. and the best part: a lot of opportunities for learning and professional development and movement (lateral and up-the-ladder).

Cons

Cannot think of any. A lot of work? I like a lot of work. Keeps the days interesting.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Stay open to new suggestions ,and implement promised initiatives.