Simply Hired Reviews in Sunnyvale, CA | Glassdoor

3.3
Simply Hired President and CEO James Beriker
James Beriker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • of working at Simply Hired, namely free lunch, fun company-wide events, and lots of yummy snacks (in 15 reviews)

• Collaborative work environment, great team, strong leadership and great product (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Inflated titles and salaries in some places despite cost-cutting everywhere else (in 3 reviews)

• In the past three months, I've seen half of the Executive team leave (in 3 reviews)

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time

Pros

A wonderful environment that fosters open communication and thrives on a positive outlook and a great great client/prospect focus. Simply Hired is a team regardless of the opportunity before us. No decisions are truly made without input from others. This collaboration allows for creativity with a singular vision; indexing all the jobs on the planet.

Cons

The office is a little too open and sometimes difficult to work in if you are a quiet worker.

Advice to Management

Offer up more career advancement opportunities

2. "ok company to work at"

Former Employee - Content Solution Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Content Solution Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Simply Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work.

Cons

Management and CEO are not smart and don't know how to run the company.

"Not surprised the company died"

I worked at Simply Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good learning opportunity
    -Nice coworkers - I made good friends there!
    -Free lunch
    -Flexible working schedule

Cons

-I'm sad to hear Simply Hired died, but I'm not surprised given my experience months prior:
    -No direction nor transparency. Lots of false starts on projects. Few projects that do make it through are axed just weeks before launch. New fires to put out every day, general havoc
    -Didn't value (most) employees. First, very low starting salary with promised 'quarterly reviews and raises' that never materialized. Then, questionable terminations for 'performance-based' reasons. Then, outsourcing.
    -Inflated titles and salaries in some places despite cost-cutting everywhere else. Alarming inconsistencies between actual contributions and compensation (eg. employee with < 1 year experience and minimal contributions is "mid level", while team lead with > 5 years experience is "junior")

Advice to Management

-How can you grow a business with no plan and no employees to execute it? Even a company with 30M unique visitors each month will die eventually if you do nothing
    -Next time, make a plan and treat your employees well so they implement it for you

"Uncertain Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Typical start up benefits such as Apple devices, free lunch,WFH policy, nice new office, overall pleasant colleagues

Cons

The turnover rate here is alarming. In the past three months, I've seen half of the Executive team leave. Transparency is nonexistent... Innovation is also lacking. Ideas are presented but nothing ever seems to get done. Lazy people seem to get away with being lazy, and brilliant workers are not recognized. Company is starting to do a lot of outsourcing.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your employees, retain good employees and let the rotten apples go.

"Don't Go"

I worked at Simply Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is limitless as to what is available for you to do in the company
    There is a lot of potential in the company

Cons

There is a potential, but it is guarded by those without a good perspective.

There is no 'path' to get promoted within the company.

Managers have no focus, few are leaders

communication between departments is terrible even after attempts to fix it

There is no real ownership of issues at hand

With no real processes, terminations occur randomly and often without documented/measurable reasons

HR is authoritative more than personable. Occasionally contradicts actions that are stated to not be okay within the company.

Advice to Management

It is hard to take anything seriously when the real issues at hand aren't openly discussed and those who worked the hardest have left with no real passing of the torch. Hiring senior level people externally instead of promoting within and providing the paths to reach that promotion is demoralizing.

"Look Elsewhere"

I worked at Simply Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lunches are free, through Eat Club, and there is a catered buffet every Friday. There are free snacks and drinks in the kitchen.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the glowing reviews. All this company cares about is getting sold. There is no real focus on user experience, technology and data integrity. It just enough to get by in the hopes of pleasing investors.

The company likes to boast about its dynamic, team-spirited corporate culture. The sad reality is that the place is dysfunctional and full of politics. There are a number of people that are very hard to deal with. A few people have too much power and they like to let you know about it, either directly or through very long passive aggressive emails. You can’t even question them. It is kind of like, "It is either my way or the highway."

In 2015, there was extremely high turnover. It seemed like every other week a key person called it quits. Entire teams suddenly were replaced with makeshift employees. It was insane. Some people even left without having a new job to go to, which says a lot. Even executives are leaving or have left. The few people I know that are still there are trying hard to leave. I don't buy the excuse that a hot market has contributed to turnover. People will stay if they are happy.

There are much better options in the area.

Advice to Management

The company is rife with politics. Dig deep to scope out where the problems are.

"If you don't like it, just leave!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Company's mission is to help people. Make the job seeking experience better for everyone with dedicated people trying to make the mission happen!
    Great events and parties.
    Give their employees more than most small companies in the bay area. HR team is helpful and does a lot for the employees.
    You get to work with many teams not just yours. People are very nice and don't stab people in the back.

Cons

Hired a bunch of people who are only focused on what the company is doing for them on a minute by minute basis! Vs. how they can help the company take the next step!
    Managers don't fire bad employees until after the damage is done! This includes the leadership team. Some call people resources instead of people.
    Fitting between leadership is way more obvious than they know.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to let people go who are getting in the way. There are a lot of people here who just want the real, honest hard working people. Let the people go who complain about events instead of being apart of them. Get rid of those who complain about processes and don't bring ideas or really help. Let the people go who don't give 110%, we are better without them. Pay more attention to the good employees and NONE to the bad.

"Still time to turn this ship around, but just barely"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch every day, snacks, soft drinks, etc. The environment is low-intensity and low-stress. The company mission (to help people find jobs) is a noble one worth committing to.

Cons

Every key performance indicator has been trending downward for the past two years, at least. There is no Product or Engineering Strategy to address this. The turnover is frightening--literally. In October of this year, we moved to a new office which is at least 25% smaller then our previous one. Two weeks later, the CFO quit. A few days later, the CEO called an all-hands meeting and i thought he was going to announce we were shutting down the company. In fact, he did *not* announce this, but the consistent chain of bad news led many of us to fear this.

Advice to Management

Advice to the Board: three years of downward trending performance is enough. Act quickly and decisively to bring competent, energetic, and ambitious leadership to Simply Hired before it's too late.

"Go-Getters & Self-Advocates Please Apply!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Simply Hired is unique. With 10 years of expertise in the recruitment industry, we're not a true start-up. However with a small and agile team, we're definitely not a large corporation with bureaucratic hierarchy and team silos.

Our team is focused on working underneath the umbrella of our company's core values: Passion, Accountability, One Team, Respect, Rigor, and Innovation. These values shape the way that we do business and work together cross-functionally every single day. The company values those who not only think creatively with the company's best interests at heart, but also advocate for those thoughts. This is not an environment for those who are comfortable sitting back and letting "the boss" make the decisions.

The people who succeed and grow at Simply Hired are those that want to work hard, smart, and have a little bit of fun doing it.

A lot of these reviews have spent time detailing the ‘perks’ of working at Simply Hired, namely free lunch, fun company-wide events, and lots of yummy snacks. However, our true differentiator is in the people that work here. This company is made up of some of the smartest and most passionate people you will ever meet. I’ve never worked somewhere where people care so very much. From engineers to customer service, our team’s rock stars show up every day determined to have their voices heard, and their ideas implemented.

Apart from the people, another reason to love working at Simply Hired is the size of the organization. With only about 150 employees, our teams are small. People who use the phrase, “that’s not in my job description” beware, this is probably not the place for you. However, if you like to collaborate, enjoy working cross-functionally, want to jump into exciting projects, and want an opportunity to learn, then you should apply today!

Finally, I recommend Simply Hired for people early on in their career. This is an excellent place to learn and develop your career. With an executive team built of equal men and women, management is always open to ideas, discussion, and most importantly mentorship. If you see a project that you’re interested in, ask to be a part of it, or ask to sit in. If you know that an exec has a background you’re interested in (i.e. you want to be a VP in a large company, or you want to explore finance), then ask to set up a meeting. They are always happy to help guide and support your career growth, or even to set you up with someone that they think can help. I know quite a few people in the organization who have begun personal mentorship relationships with various executives.

Cons

Frankly, it’s taken us a long time to get to this point. We’ve taken a few missteps and employee confidence was shaken. However, we’re moving in the right direction and internal confidence in the team and product continue to grow. For a while, the team was bogged down in negativity. However, as long as we all continue to come to work passionate and positive, Simply Hired will grow and thrive. To those of you reading these reviews, know that our team is determined to not let the past dictate who we are becoming. This growing organization is dedicated to ensuring that the culture, products, and team that we build are going to be a winning combination.

Advice to Management

My advice to our leadership team is to continue to interact with the larger team every day. By building personal relationships we destroy destructive fear and discomfort that inhibit creativity and teamwork. I also think you should try to look harder for the quieter members of the team who may not be excellent self-advocates as of yet, so that we can help support and mentor them. However, I think most of what needs to be done at Simply Hired is not the responsibility of leadership, but rather the responsibility of all of us.

To the team: let’s continue to live our new company values every day and to encourage that in others around us. When we observe behavior that does not lie within these values, let’s point it out! Most importantly, let’s approach all that we do with kindness, empathy, and passion!

"Sales and Account Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Simply Hired full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at 3 tech companies in the south bay area and Simply Hired has been the best company I've worked at. People are friendly, respectful and you actually feel like a part of the company, not just a cog in the wheel. One of our marketing logos is "Love Mondays" and it's as close as you can get to that here! As a product, we have great potential and I'm excited to see what's to come!

Cons

Salary. It does not make sense. There are people here who work at 30% capacity and are getting paid more because they have the "experience" aka years at the job.

Advice to Management

Pay attention. Who's actually producing work? Neil Hunt, chief product officer of Netflix, said a factor of Netflix' success was hiring people who could produce work at 100% capacity. Make better hires! We have so much potential but not enough people fired up to do the work. I know a couple engineers here who have an end goal of making this company public because they know the potential is there.