Simpson Strong-Tie Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Simpson Strong-Tie President and CEO Karen W. Colonias
Karen W. Colonias

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The people are nice and it is a relaxed work environment with low sense of urgency for project completion and minimal performance expectations (in 6 reviews)

• I contribute that to all the great people that I get to work with every day (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Longevity in same position, limited opportunity for advancement, but, occasional bonuses, festive activities to demonstrate employer appreciation (in 2 reviews)

• Branch Management and the project managers have absolutely no idea what they are doing running a software company (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love working at Branch 23. Excellent culture. Opportunity for growth."

Current Employee - Administrator in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Administrator in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Simpson Strong-Tie part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent management. Great training. Work place environment very enjoyable. Employees help each other. Fun department parties. Friendly co-workers. Quarterly bonuses something to look forward to. This is a company to stay.

Cons

I can't think of many cons for working at branch 23. It has been a wonderful experience. There are some employees who have been at the same job for close to 10 years. There needs to be a career path for these people so they don't get stale at their jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "Blessed with the Simspon Strong-Tie Connection"

Current Employee - Regional Warehouse Manager in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Warehouse Manager in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Simpson Strong-Tie full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Simpson creates a culture that makes you feel like you belong. It doesn't matter if you are new or have been with the company over 20 years you will feel valued. As a member of the management team its such a great feeling that we have the ability to truly help new and existing team members achieve success and find their dream job. For me, the true success has been having the ability to help others in their career development. The fantastic benefits with a fully company funded retirement plan and very competitive pay helps set the stage for a great place to work. I can say that after 20 plus years I still like coming to work. I contribute that to all the great people that I get to work with every day. Thank you Simpson for being part of my life!

Cons

Not everyone will be a fit for our organization. However, If you are willing to work hard, success is achievable.

Advice to Management

We need to do everything we can to keep this great culture that Mr. Simpson created for us alive. As we grow, Its so important that we keep this small family company feel we have now.

3. "Truly a one-of-a-kind company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Simpson Strong-Tie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company really does value each employee's contributions. Everyone takes their jobs seriously, but knows not to take themselves too seriously. This really is a fantastic place to work.

Cons

No complaints! Great company to be a part of

4. "Human Resource Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

I worked at Simpson Strong-Tie part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer great benefits, promote from within the company, and they seem more like a family than co-workers.

Cons

They don't have a lot of job openings.

Advice to Management

They should expand their Human Resource Department

"Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Riverside, CA

I worked at Simpson Strong-Tie full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great products and a solid team of engineers and other support staff. Company literature is very well maintained. Marketing team does an amazing job. He best thing about this company is their support staff. From customer service and quotes to manufacturing and order pullers, they all do a tremendous job.

Cons

Very hard to fit in amongst the sales team. Your recognition is based more on popularity and relationships with sales managers than it is based on actual performance. If you don't enjoy heavy drinking and certain types of humor involving personal insults directed at others, this probably isn't the place for you. The management seems to reward team members who put company loyalty before personal integrity.

Advice to Management

Set highest expectations of professionalism for your sales team and managers. Look for and recognize those with great results involving customers satisfaction, effectively communicating with internal staff, overall time management and organization. Look to understand what each sales person truly does with their day and make adjustments as needed. Have same or higher expectations for yourselves as you do your sales people in all areas of responsibility.

"New Management took away benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Simpson Strong-Tie (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, profit sharing, employees , 4day work week

Cons

Some Management have no people skills, doing 3 jobs at once, Ergonomic rotation, no call ins without penalty

Advice to Management

Quit pushing too much. Your employees work hard. Show them so love

7. "QC"

I have been working at Simpson Strong-Tie full-time

Pros

Good environment to excel in. Good work is rewarded

Cons

Too much input from different departments. Muddied the waters at times

"Nice people but repetitive work"

Former Employee - Materials/Metallurgical Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Materials/Metallurgical Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Simpson Strong-Tie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice and it is a relaxed work environment with low sense of urgency for project completion and minimal performance expectations.

Cons

Job descriptions do not always represent the actual work you will be doing. No research, no investigations, no complex material issues, etc. The company is slow to adopt or trust new technology or ideas. Suggestions for improvement are often disregarded. There also seems to be a lack of communication and responsibilty delineation between different teams which results in inefficient overlap. Most assigned tasks do not take any engineering expertise and rapidly become mundane. No career advancement opportunities if you are not a PE in civil or structural engineering. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Trust that the people you hire are competent and knowledgeable in their fields.

"Software Quality Assurance - This would be a great job if not for Management"

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Simpson Strong-Tie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great development team, good and benefits, decent pay.

Cons

Branch Management and the project managers have absolutely no idea what they are doing running a software company.

Most if not all of the employees are to some level dissatisfied with management. It should be noted that the other review of this branch is from 2 years ago and says many of the same things, and I can't actually tell who wrote it because so many people have left because of these same reasons.

Also let's talk about their version of "agile". While there are sprints, everything is lumped into the current one. So every two weeks you will get 200-something automatic emails from JIRA saying that tasks and bugs have all been moved to the next one. Code cutoffs and freezes are meaningless, large changes are often pushed in days before the release which get very little testing and result in immediate service packs.

There is no focus on quality, QA is afforded neither the resources (11:1 dev to qa ratio for my team) nor the time to properly test.

Advice to Management

You have a great development team that is being hampered and belittled by management. Clean house. Simpson is a well run company outside of this branch, please do a thorough review of the management and evaluate who should stay and who should go.

10. "Great company, excellent benefits"

I have been working at Simpson Strong-Tie full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A solid company that provides a lot for employees

Cons

Old school mentality, lack of diversity at all levels