Sinai Health System Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Karen Teitelbaum
1 Rating

1. "Just a stepping stone"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sinai Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it's an honor to be a Caregiver at a hospital.

Cons

The system is broken beyond repair

Advice to Management

Hire managers who know how to manage and train the ones who are currently in those positions

Feb 23, 2017 – System Manager of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at Sinai Health System. We are always working to improve patient care and experience. We will forward your comment to our internal ... More

2. "RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Chicago, IL

Pros

A lot of patients are very troubled since they are in a low income community & you will be put in a lot of random situations to grow professionally.

Cons

Many nurses dont want to be there. Their passion for nursing turned into a money making machine & they arrive like they don't want to work there.

Advice to Management

They should go on different units and see how the nurses are treated by other nurses and staff. It should be an enjoyable place but many nurses don't want to do their job and cause a lot of negative tension on the units.

Jan 25, 2017 – System Manager of Marketing

3. "Baddd"

Former Employee - ER Tech in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - ER Tech in Chicago, IL

Pros

You have a job...I guess thats about it

Cons

Nurses laugh at patients when they are very ill. They dont take patients serious.

Jan 25, 2017 – System Manager of Marketing

5. "Need more focused management"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sinai Health System (More than a year)

Pros

Sinai does great things for the community

Cons

Managers are over worked and underpaid. Cannot be effective or lead well because they are stretched too thin

6. "Grass is never greener"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sinai Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Easy to transfer/promote within the hospital
    -Some caregivers are amicable and understanding of patients
    -Pay is mediocre

Cons

-Incompetent Managers
    -Diversity issues
    -Poor patient quality and service
    -Management bullies its employees

I've been here almost a full year and I've noticed a lot of issues that are bringing down the hospital, especially the Radiology department. The lack of care from management and the chairman baffles me and it has been destroying the workplace morale. Employees back stab and sneak around to get other employees fired. This hospital has a huge turnover rate; I have been here almost a full year and witnessed 4 doctors leaving. Be mindful when applying to this company.

7. "go somewhere else"

Former Employee - Nurse in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Nurse in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sinai Health System (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some good employees, some good benefits, very few good leaders, good emergency room docs for trauma, most nurses are hard working

Cons

Poor leader,ship, many lazy employees, dirty hospital

Advice to Management

Fire bad employees, hire better leaders

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Technological in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technological in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sinai Health System full-time

Pros

Urban healthcare, needed for the community it serves.

Cons

Management keep employees who clearly do not want to work, have meetings with no real purpose, laying lots of people off and major structural issues to say the least.

Advice to Management

Use common sense

"Not the worst place to work, just mediocre"

Former Employee - Tech in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tech in Chicago, IL

Pros

co-workers were very pleasant for the most part

Cons

Budget cutbacks caused a lot of job losses without warning to certain employees. thought they could have at least given a heads up

Advice to Management

treat employees like they have families

"Worst possible hospital work environment"

Former Employee - A Position of Some Authority in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - A Position of Some Authority in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sinai Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are pockets of good, sincere people working here committed to serving an underserved patient population.

Cons

The organization claims transparency, but is broadly dishonest to all employees. Pay is woefully under market, work conditions are abysmal, the physical plant is old and falling apart, professional standards are so far out of reach as to be laughable. According to Crain's Chicago Business, Alan Channing recently received a 1.5 MILLION dollar retention bonus while the administration cries "We are a Poor Hospital" at every meeting and so they cannot (fill in the blank - give raises, improve benefits, provide patients with working televisions, rid the hospital of rodents...). Nurses lack basic supplies and equipment to keep patients safe, pest are bold and rampant, managers are arrognat, distant and lack basic leadership skills. The data system in hopelessly out of date and no financial, budget, patient or staffing data is accurate or reliable, Senior Leadership walks the halls in designer clothes, knows the first names of most employees and pats their backs - and then lays off them off in the next breath. Consultants are in and out the door making unrealistic suggestions that are ultimately ignored anyway, but as long as the consultants get the money - who cares. That is, if they ever actually pay the consultants. All staff know to cash their checks IMMEDIATELY, because it is never really certain that the money for the employees will actually be there on payday. And don't even get me started on the laughable benefits - except for the senior management of course!

Advice to Management

Clean House. Start at the top and sweep away the high priced consultants and ineffectual leadership team. The smiling administrative faces are not fooling anyone and its easy to see the hospital circling the drain. Put your resources towards the people that you serve, including your staff.

Advice to current employees: GET OUT AS SOON AS YOU CAN!

11. "Not a bad place to work..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great environment; very family oriented, they don't ask a lot out of you, even though the benefits suck it's a pretty low stress environment

Cons

People tend to get holed up and try to get job security, often rude and discourteous staff, incompetent administrative people (all areas), the hospital seems to just be throwing money away, please keep a lot of the office areas clean (environmental staff doesn't seem to like to clean)

Advice to Management

Get rid of the unions, better benefits package, better salary/compensation