Sinclair Broadcast Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sinclair Broadcast Group CEO Christopher Ripley
Christopher Ripley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management at corporate all want blood from a turnip" (in 19 reviews)

• "Low pay plus minimal 2 weeks vacation and 5 sick days is a recipe for disaster in this overworked environment" (in 15 reviews)

1. "A stable company with great opportunities."

Current Employee - Master Control Operator in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Current Employee - Master Control Operator in Wilkes-Barre, PA

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work for. They know that maintaining a strong work ethic comes from the top down. They are constantly offering multiple incentives including bonuses to strongly performing stations. Plenty of oppertunities to advance and/or to transfer to any one of nearly 200 other cities. Plus the insurance benefits are awesome with plenty of low deductable choices at reasonable cost.

Cons

We have several stations in our market. Workload can be high on some days such as working solo and running up to three live games at the same time can be tasking. But with the right work ethic and strong experience, it becomes easy, kind of like learning to play a musical instrument. Time flies.

Advice to Management

Continue setting goals for workers through the use of various incentives. It helps to lower turnaround and allows great team members to stay within the family.

2. "Paralegal"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Cockeysville, MD
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Cockeysville, MD

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and salary. Work was interesting and duties varied.

Cons

Too much nepotism, especially in management and higher level positions. If problems arise, other managers avoid addressing the friends and family of the owners.

3. "Not for everyone"

Pros

Work life balance
    Fun atmosphere

Cons

Favoritism
    Product needs some work
    Bad yelp reviews

4. "Good enough until you find something better"

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are good when compared to other media companies, especially the medical insurance.
    Good focus on investing in technology, although most of this focus is because they want to reduce the number of employees and automate as many decisions and processes as possible.
    Determined to take the lead in online revenue and the new ATSC 3.0 broadcast standard.

Cons

I personally know some people that used to work for Walmart or still work there. Sinclair reminds me a lot of how Walmart operates based on what I've heard about that company. They are coming up with some innovation ideas and solutions, but mostly for the purpose of saving money and reducing staff.
    SBG's ultimate goal is the very definition of central control management. Every decision of any note has to go through a top level manager, a regional director, and sometimes even the central corporate office. And because the managers and directors are human (for now) they are overloaded and it is almost impossible to ever get a decision in a timely manner.
    Decisions made at the corporate office are non-negotiable, not matter what kind of case is made from the local stations that certain actions don't make sense for their market. Regional directors will privately say, "I agree this is stupid, but this is coming from the top level so just do it. And when it fails maybe they will let us change this." Great, and in the mean time our stations will get beat up for not completing some C-level officer's "vision" that didn't make sense for our viewing markets.
    News talent with any credibility sometimes pass on a job offer when they find out we are owned by Sinclair or they bolt as soon as their contract comes up, and they will be unhappy during most of their time they are locked in their contract. (On a side note, I have not seen that much interference at the local news level but any interference is still too much. It's definitely not as bad as John Oliver or others make it seem).

Advice to Management

The company is now too big and scaled out too far with the emphasis on reducing headcounts even more and automating more processes. With that outlook I don't have any advice to give except that you need to allow for some local and front manager control. You can't have all decisions effecting dozens or even hundreds of people go through one overworked regional manager or director. One of SBG's talking points we hear a lot is that we have "the best people". Then you should treat us like the best people and trust us to make some decisions on our own.

5. "Producer"

Pros

Good opportunity for advancement and career placement.

Cons

Too many corporate bodies and structures.

6. "Review"

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rarely required to work overtime.

Cons

Performance review not done but doesn't matter because raise not based on performance.

Advice to Management

Take time for your employees

7. "Multimedia Journalist"

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

Great news reporting opportunities; upward mobility option

Cons

Backlash from viewers on must-runs; outdated camera equipment

8. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Sales in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None! They treat you like crap.

Cons

Horribly run company. Don’t waste your time. Find a media company that cares. I heard Hearst is a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

Sell your properties to a company that cares. Stop starving your reps by constantly cutting commissions.

"Run don't walk!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Miami, FL

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At the station level, there are some great people!
    It's a paycheck

Cons

Corporate
    Management
    Micro management
    Nepotism & favoritism
    Corporate is ultra cheap. Many stations have VERY antiquated systems and equipment that they refuse to upgrade
    Corporate say the have wonderful people but in reality corporate treats station's employees poorly. They are paranoid and refuse to let decisions get made at local levels.
    Management is all about who you know and has nothing to do with what you know!
    Many political games played on the corporate level and upper management at station level.
    They grew too big too fast
    Make this company your LAST option!!
    Way too top heavy with managers at station level.
    Too many more to list

Advice to Management

They would never listen so I'm not wasting time here!

10. "review"

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

good company headquartered in MD.

Cons

i cant think of any