Sinclair Broadcast Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sinclair Broadcast Group CEO Christopher Ripley
Christopher Ripley

Pros
  • Great people to work with, decent pay, a lot of young talent within company (in 13 reviews)

• Lots of good people at the company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor Communication between Upper Management and Corporate (in 12 reviews)

• It was not structured or designed in a way to train people with little to no television advertising experience (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Pretty Great!"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really nice benefits (2 weeks paid vacation after 6 months, 3 weeks after 3 years, and 4 weeks after 10 years, LOTS of health care options), a positive environment, an emphasis on innovation and creativity (especially in creative services), a good work/life balance, constant effort (at least since I've started) of trying to improve the work environment, an open door policy throughout the whole company

Cons

Probably for where I am right now, there aren't going to be many opportunities for promotions unless I'm willing to move (but they do annual raises so it may not be a big deal!).

Advice to Management

Keep listening and adapting to what employees ask for. Generally, I think the management I'm under does a pretty great job at communicating and being helpful!

"Master Control Operator"

Pros

It is pretty laid back. You can wear what you want and you're not in the public eye.

Cons

It can get hectic.
    If anything goes wrong, you are the first group everyone targets for blame.

Advice to Management

Treat your operators well; they hold the place together.

3. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing managers and great environmen

Cons

Limited growth in my position

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, Fun Work Enviroment

Cons

Poor Communication between Upper Management and Corporate

6. "Every station is different"

Current Employee - Photojournalist
    Current Employee - Photojournalist

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at three Sinclair stations. Some get millions of dollars of brand new gear, some don't. I've been able to climb my way up and have been promoted within in terms of salary and position. Some stations pay for Emmy submissions so the applicant doesn't have to. The also pay photographers to go to the NPPA workshop.

Cons

The company leans too heavily to the right that it discredits the local journalism that the underpaid broadcast teams produce. Sinclair also requires stations to air "must runs" These are segments that, depending on the piece, every station is required to run nightly or weekly. They have nothing to do with the local market and just go to show the vast loss of touch the corporate choices have on the viewers. One of these is the "Terrorism Alert Desk" which is the opposite of journalism. Sinclair wants every station to look and air exactly the same. Same graphics, same music, same writing style, all a setup for the Sinclair Network, which is coming. Too many stations are in last place in the ratings.

Working at Sinclair is pretty standard. It's television news.

Advice to Management

Kill the must runs. Make them optional. If they really have their own merit, stations will want to run them anyway.

7. "A lot of room for growth"

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

They want you to succeed, easy to move up, great benefits, decent pay.

Cons

Smaller, sometimes it's hard to leave, not a lot of people stick around

8. "Staff made all the difference"

Former Employee - Promotions Producer in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - Promotions Producer in Flint, MI

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group (More than a year)

Pros

I've heard a lot of employees complain at other SBG locations that management was out to lunch and only interested in the bottom line - budgets. Not Flint. Through whatever workings of cosmic bliss, every department manager/director I've worked with has been exceptiona and I really miss all of them. I was allowed to dream big and deliver without negativity from the higher-ups. Sad to have left, but needed a larger market to make more money. They also really offered a lot of benefits well beyond other companies.

Cons

Can't think of a thing.

9. "Integrated Marketing Consultant"

Former Employee - Integrated Marketing Consultant in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Integrated Marketing Consultant in Charleston, WV

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Portfolio of products, uncapped income

Cons

Poor training and support from management. No job security, no salary, draw against commission, ( no paycheck is common) no compensation for mileage, high churn. Negative enviornment. Micromanagement is the norm with too much inconsistant required reporting and no CRM system. Good ol boys club ....this company does not value its employees. Managers are not skilled or trained in helping employees and there is no comprehensive selling system. If you think you will be a long term employee you need to rethink your expectations. RUN! 8+ years between senior reps and new hires.

Advice to Management

Learn how to run a successful business with happy employees using proven business models. The new company mission statement has nothing to back up the vision. Put some teeth into reformation and join the 21st century and look at your values and sacred cows.

10. "Only Good for Building Your Resume"

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

-Good benefits across the board
    -Your experience depends on your location and who you report to.
    -You get paid

Cons

-corporate bureaucracy overload
    -the hub I'm in is a nightmare
    -HR are scared puppies
    -Decision makers have no idea what being in a station is like. They are in their offices making changes all day. Policies changes do not necessarily increase efficiency.
    -Don't know if I'll have a job by the end of the year with all of these "changes"
    -Corporate only cares about the bottom line. Continual budget cuts, merging of job responsibilities and hubbing.
    -Can be hired one week and have your position eliminated less than a month later.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people. Hire great managers to retain great employees. Stop treating employees like slaves.

11. "good place"

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

they give lots of freedom to do our best. trust in what we do. very friendly environment.

Cons

can be a little too corporative. sometimes micro-managing. lack of communication between departments.

Advice to Management

hope they give us more freedom of what we do. sick and personal days are lesser that some companies out there.