KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated May 10, 2021

3.2
Sinclair Broadcast Group CEO Christopher Ripley
Christopher Ripley
Pros
  • "Great people, great place to learn(in 31 reviews)

• "Good benefits and strong growth(in 22 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The problem with this job is that you will never feel appreciated by upper management or the 40 people you have to report to(in 29 reviews)

• "Low pay horrible management bad hours(in 25 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Sinclair Broadcast Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great for anyone who is looking to build experiences

May 7, 2021 - Digital Producer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Learned a lot, not just limited to one role, great benefits

Cons

Low pay, understaffed at small station

2. 3.0
      Former Employee

Modern News is a Hard Sell for Skilled Laborers

Apr 24, 2021 - News in Columbus, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to get your foot in the door. Freedom to express your talents and abilities on interesting and important stories. There are lots of talented and good people working hard alongside you. The boots on the ground truly care about the stories they labor to tell. It’s certainly exciting at times and I truly learned something new every day on the job.

Cons

-Little room for job advancement. -Low starting wages. -Less than significant yearly raises. I present to you the 3 L’s of today’s local news business model. If you enter a job here, be prepared to find that the only promotion to a better job will be found at the next shop. Don’t expect to be thanks or applauded for coming through under duress. There’s not much reward or recognition for individual or team efforts. I’ve watched the most talented people I’ve ever worked with be denied promotions/raises/bonuses, year after year. All of this will probably sound like sour grapes, but I’m genuinely saddened to see what I respected as a worthy and noble profession be wrung out for every last drop by greed. It’s an industry-wide issue and that’s why only those who can wholeheartedly dedicate their entire selves to their work can stay in it for the long haul anymore.

2 people found this review helpful

Sinclair Broadcast Group Response

VP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed experience. We value our former employee’s feedback so we would be happy to learn more about the specific issues you experienced with management during your time here and your suggestions on how we can improve. We agree that our field employees are often the lifeblood of our organization and deserve to be recognized for their commitment to Sinclair’s mission. We are currently looking at ways to celebrate their contributions in meaningful ways and would welcome any suggestions. Please feel free to contact employment@sbgtv.com to discuss anytime. We wish you the best.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome Job, Big Pay Comes With Big Responsibility

Mar 15, 2021 - Digital Sales Manager in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Elite media sales team that accomplishes the seemingly impossible, tons of support, the best advertising products in the market, being with the best stations in the market (News 4, Fox 29 and CW35) will get you instant respect with the community and local businesses, pay is incredible if you let your leadership guide you.

Cons

Big pay comes with big responsibility - and accountability. Employees must keep their promises to their clients and their leadership, employees must work smart because the job is very demanding and could take more than 8 hours a day if you aren't efficient with your valuable time, must create your own work/life balance to give yourself a time to "recharge."

4. 2.0

Aging Broadcast Company Trying to Look Cool in a Hoodie and Sunglasses

May 4, 2021 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay was enough to keep me this long (I tried many times to leave, but many companies just flat out suck at the competitive pay game or they are willing to take the next chump off the street who will accept their low low pay). I refuse to lower my standards when the high end tech companies are almost twice what Sinclair even offers. Sinclair is only slightly higher than companies like Nordstrom. You could do worse. Very stable work, but prepare to be bored with the products they are making. Most of the people that I worked with used to be cool, now I have no idea who these people are.

Cons

Shifting to hiring lots of international workers (timezone hell). Wishy washy about return to office plan (post-covid) despite hiring all over the place. Extremely difficult to get raises and promotions (slow like molasses). Red tape and not a lot of creative freedom (top-down decisions). Backend system design is purely a joke held together by duct-tape and huge egos of past and present loud mouth bullies with fancy titles and large paychecks (so called "architects"). Lately, good people seem to be leaving on a weekly basis (sad). Very bored in my position, no room for growth. Only 6-8 paid holidays per year (aging news business). Before COVID, they almost never allowed remote work. Most people probably dislike their political bias (includes myself in that group). Ashamed to say I work for them at parties (favors "large news company" to save face).

5. 4.0

Great entry level market

May 2, 2021 - Newscast Director in Steubenville, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Steubenville is perfect for anyone wanting to get into broadcasting while being able to both learn and produce a good product

Cons

Management can be difficult, but that is pretty typical is a high pressure/fast work environment.

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Terrible work life balance

May 5, 2021 - Production Technician in Steubenville, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits, paid holidays. They recently upped their pay to $15 which is better than when I was there. I started at less than $9 despite having the relevant degree

Cons

GM was one of the most petty people I've had the displeasure of knowing. Incredibly fast turnover; the production department could never stay fully staffed. This station is one of SBG's smaller locations but they do so much remote coverage it creates an environment where you could be working 10+ days in a row

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Professional and Friendly, hard to find both at one place.

May 2, 2021 - Senior Technology Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Family Friendly workplace, with open door policy. Brillant folks to work with, due to the careful hiring process.

Cons

None so far. Office space could be expanded.

8. 4.0

Opportunity to shine

May 4, 2021 - IT Product Manager in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart people, work life agility,

Cons

Not a strong portfolio management of work at the epic and above level.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good Environment, Low Pay

May 6, 2021 - Sales Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly Staff, Good Management, Strong Work/Life Balance

Cons

Low Pay, benefits are decent

10. 4.0
      Former Employee

News

May 6, 2021 - Producer in Arlington, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Experience, coworkers, opportunities to grow

Cons

Early Hours, schedule, work load,

Viewing 1 - 10 of 719 Reviews