Sinclair Broadcast Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sinclair Broadcast Group Reviews

Updated December 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There's a lot of room for growth, great people (in 20 reviews)

• Good benefits, including tution reimbursement and adoption assistance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay plus minimal 2 weeks vacation and 5 sick days is a recipe for disaster in this overworked environment (in 16 reviews)

• The upper management donates a ton of money to the Republican party on a national level (in 16 reviews)

1. "Advertising Support Manager"

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

Great benefits, Holidays, Paid time off

Cons

Lack of growth
    Poor upper management
    Poor pay

Advice to Management

Be transparent and allow people to grow when they show potential

"SASO Sales and Advertising Support Operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is thriving and constantly growing. They offer the opportunity for you to grow and learn within you position. The SASO department offers great entry-level positions. The company as a whole is consistent and stable, which provides good job security.

Cons

Management doesn't always make you feel supported and can micro manage at times. Growth opportunities are limited so the department can become extremely competitive. The pay doesn't commensurate with the responsibility jobs within the department.

Advice to Management

I would work on trusting you team and compensating them appropriately. That would avoid turnover and create employee loyalty. Also provide more growth opportunities within the department so people won't feel stagnant.

"Hilariously Outdated IT Infrastructure. Dishonest Leadership."

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent Health Insurance rates
    - Pay rates are reasonable
    - A few managers and directors are making positive steps for their teams
    - If you live in southern PA, it's one of the closest Baltimore companies to commute to
    - If you can zone out, you can work here 40 years

Cons

- Absolutely unwilling to invest in proper technical infrastructure on the IT side. They claim otherwise.
    - Plays games with vendors; 0 interest in purchasing support for certain key vendors
    - Operating a 24x7 TV network without proper redundancy yields some interesting on-call weeks
    - Sub-par vacation policy, but you can reduce your salary for a 3rd week. -They claim this isn't 'buying' vacation.
    - Some teams can't even think about leaving the building to pick up food. Eat out of the vending machine and keep working!
    - Some teams have 0 camaraderie. Went to 2 Xmas parties by myself. Team of 6.
    - Commodities like packaging tape are strangely difficult to get purchased.
    - Everything is a priority, all the time. Nobody has the spine to set priorities, or push back on the chaos.
    - Dreariest place I've ever worked. Gray depressing walls. Nobody has fun, or takes pride in their work. Everything goes downhill year after year. Soulless.

I served a 2 year sentence at this organization. I've never worked so hard to accomplish so little.

During that time, I noticed a pattern of mid-management making promises, but never actually delivering. Core group of old-timers controls all planning, purchasing, and decision making for the department, regardless of their knowledge. New ideas are 'welcome' until someone decides to send an email and quietly kill them. If you go through 3 budget cycles and still can't get a $4B company to spring for a $10k project (despite telling you it's no problem to your face), something is very wrong.

"Race to the bottom" was mentioned in another review, I think this is accurate. Do more with less is a great policy, but they take it to the extreme. There is a complete disconnect between upper management and reality. An organization that buys used crap IT equipment and shies away from building anything properly shouldn't be running a national infrastructure. Vendor support is non-existent for major vendors, because Sinclair doesn't want to pay for it. Any tools to automate or simplify a huge infrastructure are not considered, due to cost. If something breaks, just work harder to fix it. If they acquire more stations, you're just on call for more locations, that's all. 150 locations would probably necessitate a 24x7 NOC, but hey, on-call phones and burnt out employees are cheaper. It's a tall order for this organization to claim to be 'leading the industry'. It didn't feel 'leading' when a team of Engineers is on a call trying to resuscitate an 7 year old equipment with 0 vendor support at 2AM on Thanksgiving. Completely avoidable!

Watched a Cloud project that could have taken them into the future get flat out killed because older staff didn't understand it. Very frustrating.

The employee culture is 'at least we have jobs'. It's tough to get anyone motivated to do anything, because frankly, there's no budget or willingness to rethink anything. Just work harder. IT Employees may develop 'shell shock' from the constant, completely avoidable emergencies and break/fix nature of this organization. Training? Certifications? Industry conferences? Not happening.

The goal is to keep buying TV stations nobody wants and throwing them on the pile. They are now starting to produce their own, second-rate content. You're witnessing the end of an industry.

If you're in IT, and want to do something to further your career, skip this joint. Going from a cutting-edge company, to Sinclair, back to another cutting-edge company was a surreal experience.

Advice to Management

If you want to be a cutting edge technology company, start budgeting accordingly, and refresh all management affiliated with technology.

Maybe budget for the Power, Cooling, Network, Systems, and Cloud infrastructure that will allow you to grow your business, not your headaches. Yes, that will cost money.

"Could be better"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Assistant

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health benefits are decent, experience is great for starting out for those looking to get started in media.

Cons

Pay could be better, there is no culture, most people have been in the industry for far too long - old way of doing things. At my station, the newest member other then myself has been there 11 years. It is hard when you are trying to relate and everyone's a lot older then you. Huge separation between other departments as well, everyone kind of works in their own pods.

Management and corporate do nothing to incentive people to stay.

Also, demise of broadcast is imminent (I believe), ATSC 3.0 isn't going to save their bacon like they intend. I see a major crash happening ten-fifteen years down the road. Almost all digital dependency is third party.

Advice to Management

Get some new blood in the company.

"Local Sales Assistant"

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment and the people are great to work with. The work is not hard just takes time to learn -as expected.

Cons

The position requires a lot of multi tasking and good time management.

6. "Senior Photographer"

Current Employee - Senior Photographer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Photographer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good insurance, good co-workers, new equipment

Cons

Leans a bit to conservative

"bad company"

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there are none to be had

Cons

everything they do is corrupt

8. "Big Bullies Buying Everything in Sight"

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

There are no pros to this company.

Cons

Sinclair acquired my company, DataSphere Technologies, in June of this year. It was a total disaster from the get go. They had no concern for the people behind the company they bought. HR was relatively useless and responded to most inquiries with "I don't know" or "let me get back to you" and then never responded. Every new hire brought on in the first month of the acquisition quit because of system issues, pay issues, and/or a general feeling of chaos. They took no time to understand the processes in place that had made the company function and succeed, but instead forced their processes (or lack there of) on the employees and only asked questions when things went wrong because those processes didn't work. They were constantly putting out fires instead of preventing them in the first place. Communication between hire ups seemed non-existent and there was no culture of ownership when basic issues like payroll, simple budgets, or system questions came up. Everything was someone else's problem, but who that someone else was is a mystery. They were too busy buying a monopoly on the broadcast market to care about the people who's lives they were affecting.

Advice to Management

Stop buying so many companies and focus on the ones you have. Or be honest and buy a company out right without saying "business as usual" when really everything will change. You'll fail doing things this way.

"Marketing Consultant"

I have been working at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time

Pros

Good Health Insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision) and 401K

Cons

Management is unpredictable and disrespectful to employees. All they care about is themselves. They like to target employees that they don't like. They are Aggressive and require lots of meeting/office time that takes away from money making job duties.

10. "Terrible attitudes and noncompliant"

Former Employee - Local Sales Assistant in Sioux City, IA
    Former Employee - Local Sales Assistant in Sioux City, IA

I worked at Sinclair Broadcast Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place for a job right out of college - for the title on a resume only.
    Teaches you to toughen up and to stand up for yourself when necessary.
    If you are a sensitive person, I guarantee you will leave a stronger person.

Cons

Terrible attitudes, Management is completely unprofessional and will throw anyone under the bus instead of taking ownership of a mistake. AE's are lazy and are promised things that fall through and then treat the assistants like garbage. They expect an unimaginable work load and are very strict on getting to work before 8am and expect you to be actively working before 8am and all the way until 5pm, even you don't have anything left to do. So they expect you to show up before 8am and if you still have not finished your overfilled workload by 5, they expect you to stay past 5 and not get paid overtime. Also upon leaving the HR employee was completely unprofessional and ended up gossiping about me to corporate while in front of my friend/current employee. They also promised to pay for my accrued vacation hours and upon receiving my check, I was only paid for my time worked. I had come in contact with the local HR, and 3 various employees in the corporate HR department and was left in the dark COMPLETELY for 2 weeks (a total of a month after I had left). Overall, don't work here if you don't want to get paid a very low wage with an unbearable amount of work and stress. Employee morale is at an all-time low and management is NOT open to any suggestions to improve it. DO NOT WORK HERE (unless you have just graduated college). Only good if you want to toughen up and get a huge smack in the face with dealing with a terrible company.

Advice to Management

Focus more on positives. Start an employee morale improvement program and HOLD THE GM'S ACCOUNTABLE TO MOVING FORWARD WITH IT. Make sure you keep promises and not avoid problems you don't want to deal with.