Sinclair Broadcast Group Employee Reviews about "sinclair"

Updated Oct 14, 2021

Found 84 of over 938 reviews

3.1
Sinclair Broadcast Group CEO Christopher Ripley
Christopher Ripley

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Sinclair Broadcast Group and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "sinclair"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great overall experience in ad sales

Sep 7, 2021 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

The base pay was great for an entry level ad sales job (I only had 6 months experience prior), and the overall comp/benefits were very fair. Sinclair was also great about prioritizing the health of employees during the beginning of the pandemic, and allowed non-essential employees to work remotely. They offered tons of flexibility showing that they actually values their employees compared to some competitors like Nexstar.

Cons

Commission rates for agency business are low

VP, HR

We so appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts about the positive work experience you had at Sinclair. We want our employees to feel that they are being compensated fairly for their hard work. Thank you for recognizing Sinclair’s actions during the pandemic as there is nothing more important than creating a healthy and safe environment for our employees. If you ever have feedback to share, please reach out to employment@sbgtv.com as we know there is always room for growth.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to get started

Aug 13, 2021 - Photographer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They offer a higher starting wage than any company in the industry. All employees make $15 an hour. Because Sinclair is such a large company, they are able to provide pretty solid benefits. There are opportunities for upward mobility if you are willing to work for them.

Cons

I don't remember there being cons unique to Sinclair. The company suffers the same things you'll find across the industry. Smaller market stations are disorganized and stressful, but it's like that everywhere.

VP, HR

Thank you for sharing a review. We are glad that you recognize our competitive benefits package and opportunities for growth within the company, as we always want to invest in our hardworking employees. We’d love to talk with you further about some of your concerns with smaller market stations if you’d be interested in sharing more. Please contact employment@sbgtv.com.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not What I Thought it Would Be

Oct 1, 2021 - News Producer in Charleston, WV
    Business Outlook

Pros

News environment (fast-paced), ability to construct and design your own news show.

Cons

High stress, low pay. You'll mostly be running stories on structure fires and car accidents. Also, you'll have to run certain content that Sinclair makes you run (regardless if it is newsworthy). Everyone makes $15 an hour, and overtime is very restricted. When I worked there they only allowed 4 hours of overtime for the ENTIRE station....

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

sales

Aug 13, 2021 - Sales Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, great people. Amazing digital products to sell. Leadership is professional and has great vision. So happy to have found Sinclair.

Cons

I can't think of any at this point. Covid has hit businesses so hard over the past couple of years but this company has adjusted and been great through it all.

VP, HR

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and are happy to hear you are enjoying your time working for Sinclair. We strive to create a positive work culture for employees like yourself, who feel passionately about the company and the work they are doing every day. We are always open to feedback if you are ever interested in sharing more – please contact employment@sbgtv.com.

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great staff and work environment

Aug 2, 2021 - Production Assistant in Eureka, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I got lucky and had a wonderful boss and staff. Positive team environment. I learned a lot in my role and got to wear many hats.

Cons

No holidays off. Little opportunities for career advancement/promotion and I felt stuck in my role. Transfer opportunities were meager. I wanted to transfer to a station in Los Angeles, but there was no Sinclair station there. No benefits for part-time employees.

VP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We’re happy to hear that you learned a lot and enjoyed working with your talented colleagues during your time at Sinclair. We strive to be a place where our employees can grow within the company. We would love to talk to you about your concerns and how you feel we can improve. Please reach out to employment@sbgtv.com to set up a time to talk.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good benefits, bad ethics

Oct 14, 2021 - TV News Photographer in Dayton, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Sinclair pays decent depending on the market you are in. The benefits are great. I remember health insurance paid great. Also when I left my vacation days were paid out. That was pretty cool of them.

Cons

The ethics behind Sinclair. Just look it up online. There are a bunch of news on Sinclair unethical behavior. Employees are also known to bully other staff.

1 person found this review helpful

VP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It is important to us that our employees feel valued, as our competitive salaries and benefit packages are just some of the ways we strive to do that. Your concerns about ethics and workplace behavior is something we take seriously and would like to discuss further. If you’d like to share more about your experience, please reach out to employment@sbgtv.com.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Fine, but better if you're white

Feb 18, 2021 - Marketing Consultant in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's a giant company that has solid benefits and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They try as best they can to keep up with savvier competition, and keep investing. They also took excellent care of their employees during the COVID Crisis. If you are white, Republican, and very good at sales, there's really no drawback.

Cons

Let's put it this way: If you work for Sinclair in any capacity, you either agree with the Trumpy culture or have your morals take a backseat. The higher up you go, the more extreme it has to be. This results in a lot of racist management and decision-makers. During my 5+ year career in a multicultural market, not one POC was hired to any management position during any time, and almost every black person who left the company files an official report that they felt racially prejudiced. Even white, liberal, employees have complained about being politically targeted my management -- but the job can be so subjective, management can make up just about anything to fire you "with cause." If you have another solid choice and you're anything but white and conservative, I suggest taking the alternative.

8. 2.0

Avoid if Possible

Aug 27, 2021 - Human Resources in Hunt Valley, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Succeed at Sinclair, you can succeed anywhere

Cons

-Pay far below market average -Extreme micromanagement and zero trust in their employees -Unable to move up unless someone quits -Favoritism at all levels of the company -Recognizes almost no paid holidays - Extremely poor work-life balance -Managers are typically lifers with the company -Extreme lack of diversity all around at all levels of the organization

9. 3.0
    Former Employee

High stress, little reward

Aug 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's a good entrance to the business side of television broadcasting. You'll work pretty independently, so it's good for an introvert.

Cons

Stakes can be high. One mistake can be worth thousands of dollars. You won't get thanked for the 99% of copy that's correct, but yelled at for the one that's wrong. Sinclair is also right wing, so only work here with you don't mind their politics.

VP, HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your personal experience working at Sinclair. While we are glad you found it to be a good introduction to television broadcasting, we are saddened to hear that you didn’t feel valued as an employee as that is of the utmost importance to us. If you reach out to employment@sbgtv.com, we would be happy to discuss further.

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good money

Aug 19, 2021 - Account Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can get paid well and it’s sometimes fun. It’s not hard work but it’s a lot of work.

Cons

You will be a robot. Just another number amongst the others. Some people despise Sinclair because they are trump supporters and that can hurt your sales sometimes.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 84 Reviews