Sinclair Community College Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Sinclair Community College President and CEO Steven L. Johnson
Steven L. Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The network of faculty and staff work hard together to ensure that the most effective learning environment is maintained (in 4 reviews)

• They are a great employers with great benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits for part time workers (in 6 reviews)

• lack of advancement, no benefits (in 5 reviews)

1. "I enjoy and appreciate my job and the people I work with."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Kettering, OH
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Kettering, OH

I have been working at Sinclair Community College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are many dedicated, wonderful people who work here. The majority of the faculty and staff have a cooperative, helpful, friendly attitude that makes them great to work with. There is a very positive culture at Sinclair. People here are doing good work.

Cons

The wages are not high enough for support staff. I don't have many complaints although I wish the food from Aramark was better.

2. "Treat part-time contract and adjunct faculty poorly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Sinclair Community College part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Students are great. Working at Sinclair makes you feel like you are making a difference in young people's lives

Cons

Full-time faculty hires almost always go to friends, family members and those sleeping with faculty members. Hiring is by small, biased committee with sign off by department chair and dean. No objective or merit based reviews. Class assignments are made by a single person that distributes assignments at whim.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the deans and department chairs. They are destroying departments, talented faculty are leaving as soon as they can find another position, leaving only poor faculty to teach students.

3. "Tutoring"

I worked at Sinclair Community College part-time

Pros

Laid back
    Comfortable
    Quality supervisors and co-workers

Cons

No real cons except boredom when there are no students to tutor unless you have homework to do.

4. "Adjunct Professor"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Sinclair Community College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive environment. Awesome staff. Causal and friendly workplace. Creative and flexible teaching strongly encouraged. MOST of the students are wonderful. Great for a first year teacher or side-job. Small stipend every semester on Tartan card.

Cons

The pay is not great. FT opportunities very hard to get. Limited options for on-campus dining. Dry erase markers and staplers disappear very quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. "End Support Technician"

I have been working at Sinclair Community College part-time

Pros

Very low stress job where you treated professionally and fair. Fun atmosphere and friendly co-workers.

Cons

Hard to advance to upper tier jobs within the school

6. "Adjunct Faculty"

Former Employee - Administrator/Educator in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Administrator/Educator in Dayton, OH

I worked at Sinclair Community College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities and interesting challenges.

Cons

Can not think of any cons

Advice to Management

Looks for opportunities while problem solving.

7. "Love my job"

I have been working at Sinclair Community College full-time

Pros

I have worked at Sinclair for 4+ years now and have loved every minute of it. They are a great employers with great benefits. I am very fortunate to have a very understanding manager who believes that your health and your family come first.

Cons

Performance management is non existent, everyone receives the same raise regardless of their position, duties and/or abilities. No maternity/paternity leave for new parents. If you do not have the leave time available you are taking the time unpaid and if you have had to use your FMLA for anything else, you are not guaranteed to keep your position.

Advice to Management

Implement a leave policy for new parents, men and women. Update your performance review system/policy.

8. "Manager"

I have been working at Sinclair Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are devoted and dedicated to students. The College is continually working to improve the student experience. Team members are well trained, educated and invested in doing what is right for students.

Cons

Federal and State policy hinder our ability to design and deliver all that would benefit students.

Advice to Management

utilize the knowledge of your front line staff, they interact daily with students and truly know the operational needs of the college.

9. "Nice but not the best place to work"

I have been working at Sinclair Community College full-time

Pros

Nice people to work with. Almost everyone on campus seem to care about students success. You can easily get help from anyone on campus. It's a very friendly working environment.

Cons

The compensation system is not the best among similar institutions in the States. There is room for IT department to improve in general.

Advice to Management

Try to hire the best people on IT (include RAR) work.

"The administration here is no better than K-12 administration - no guts"

Former Employee - Instructor in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Instructor in Dayton, OH

I worked at Sinclair Community College part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was an adjunct. The pay per credit hour wasn't bad

Cons

If you aren't "in" after a term or two, find other work. If you aren't "in" after a couple of terms, the administration is simply not going to schedule you for any courses. When you complain of not being scheduled, they will say, "We have no policy in scheduling adjuncts." Well, that is a lie. I've had courses taken away from me given to other adjuncts because "They were promised that course". Why re-schedule so many of the same adjuncts and repeatedly not others? There has to be a policy; they simply don't tell you it.

That's why I said, if you don't have an "in" after a couple of terms, go find work elsewhere. For, the department is simply just not going to reschedule you for classes anymore. Then, your school email will lapse. Then, you won't be able to receive anything from them, unless they use your personal email address. And, odds are, they aren't going to do that. It's like their "method of firing" you. They just don't have the guts to do it to you face to face.

Sinclair CC isn't a "Community College" anymore, anyhow. It is essentially a trade school now. The President of the campus took it right that way. All the development Sinclair has been undergoing has been in the "trades" and "trade education", not "the first 2 years for a 4 year degree".

Advice to Management

Step down.