Singer Equipment Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Frederick J. Singer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Customer service rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elverson, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elverson, PA

I have been working at Singer Equipment Company full-time

Pros

Fun place to work. Lots of activities and luncheons throughout the year. Busy and fast paced which makes the day go quick. Co-workers are great to work with, everyone gets along for the most part. Good pay. Flexible schedule. No micromanagement, we work independently.

Cons

Company should close on Holidays. Let employees enjoy time with their family. I see some favoritism going on in certain depts.

2. "Customer service representative"

I have been working at Singer Equipment Company full-time

Pros

Fun environment , fast pace you learn a lot

Cons

No upward mobility and no raises

Advice to Management

Simply be more direct to what you expect from your employees

3. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Elverson, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Elverson, PA

I have been working at Singer Equipment Company part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits successful business. No micromanagement, you work independently. Lots of fun events which keeps the morale up. Fun place to work

Cons

Nothing much to say negatively

"Admin"

I have been working at Singer Equipment Company full-time

Pros

I worked for Singer Equipment for almost 9 years and resigned to take a position that ended up being too good to be true. During the 9 years I was there originally, the company treated their employees fairly, and although growing in size, tried to maintain the "family" feel of the organization. Benefits and compensation were very comparable to other companies in the area. The position I left the company for did not work out and the management of Singer welcomed me back! There are many employees who have left and realized that Singer was a really good place to work and have come back.

Cons

There are no perfect companies to work for, but overall there are really no specific "Cons" to working for Singer Equipment.

Advice to Management

The only advice to management would be to stay visual and engaged with your employees.

"If you are a woman, DO NOT WORK FOR THE IT DEPT!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elverson, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elverson, PA

I worked at Singer Equipment Company full-time

Pros

It was okay when I first started, the people were nicer and really wanted to get to know me or so I thought. Management acted like they truly cared about wanting me to work there and then.....

Cons

Everything! If you are a woman and working in the IT dept. you better not talk about anything personal! I thought I would get to know Users as I helped them, nope! I was told that I shouldn't be sharing personal information that this was a place of business, I was there to work. But if you are a man whether a man in IT or a manager of another dept you are allowed to say whatever you damn well please. As I was working one day I heard one of the managers who comes over to socialize with customer service everyday say the most racist and sexual comments! Other men in the IT dept were allowed to be on You tube and talk about gaming and buying a new house and when they were closing on this house. They were allowed to talk about their girlfriends and their three kids....but if you are a woman working they will expect you to "not socialize" even though the men are allowed to!

I had two days of training and then was expected to NEVER EVER make a mistake. We are ALL human and all make mistakes. If you are a woman working in the IT dept. you can NEVER make a mistake or they will tell you that your work performance is not up to par. If you are a man you can make thousands of dollars in mistakes and you get to stay.......

Some of the users are down right nasty and mean. I understand they are like that to everyone....but how did they keep their job? They were very rude and ignorant and I dreaded going to talk to them just to get something or helping them because I knew they would be as mean and nasty as they could even though I was VERY professional with them!

When asking management a policy on how to handle the on call phone, I was told that I made my manager "uncomfortable" because I told him why I didn't answer the phone when he called, looking for someone else mind you. It was twisted to make me sound like I was some kind of pervert! When I corrected HR to what I really said she said "well it's the same thing" NO IT'S NOT! But if you are a man and you have the phone that week you can break all the rules of not calling people back if you miss their call. As I was told "I will forget I have it and just take getting yelled at because I didn't call them back in a timely manner" Also with the on call phone you are never allowed to have a life. You are expected to go home after work and stay near a computer and not go out and have a personal life. That is very hard to do when you are a mother of a small child!

My boss got angry with me because I couldn't immediately fix an issue we had of downloading 365 on a machine for a NJ user. I spent three days on the phone with 365 support, ignoring all my other work for this one user and then come in on Friday and found out my manager and some managers at the NJ location had blocked the installation a long time before I came in....and yet my boss blamed me for not being able to get 365 on this person's machine!

The moral of the story is I worked my butt off for this company and all they did was treat me like crap! Women STAY AWAY!

Advice to Management

Treat women who are working IT better or you could be facing lawsuits! Remember that WE ALL make mistakes and to not expect us to be subhuman aka perfect. No one is perfect not even you! When the crap hits the fan don't blame people who had no control over what happened also don't blame the person who worked tirelessly to try to fix something that YOU disabled! Don't expect women who have families to have NO LIFE outside of work! Stop twisting what women say to make them look like they are perverts! If you know a user is nasty to everyone perhaps you should tell Fred and ask him "do you really want to keep someone who is down right nasty to everyone and who people dread talking to because of such"!!!!!!! You guys need to get your priorities straight or again you could be facing major lawsuits....You are lucky this woman isn't suing you for how you treated me!

6. "good"

I have been working at Singer Equipment Company full-time

Pros

this company is good to work for.

Cons

no cons comments needed to make.

7. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Paterson, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Paterson, NJ

Pros

Good product line, great warehouse staff and drivers.

Cons

Working at singer New York was a terrible experience. Favoritism runs very deep in the company which I believe hampers the development of qualified individuals.

Advice to Management

stop with the lieing and have some ethical practices

"Ok place to work if working for a Male Manager"

I worked at Singer Equipment Company full-time

Pros

nice people, lots of food, promotes fun and employee inter action, need to be go geter and self learner to make it here...

Cons

Company Policies vary between departments, male managers do as they please no questions from HR, No management skills, employee's allowed to openly degrade others for personal enjoyment, nasty harrassing remarks openly discussed for all to hear including person being spoken of.

Advice to Management

Clean house get real managers with work ethic and people skills, crack down on hour padding and socializing, be in charge of company policies ensure they are followed by all down to the dress cose!!

9. "Wonderful Work Environment"

Pros

The employees at Singer are a pleasure to work with, freedom in your role to get things done without micro-management, vendor sponsored luncheons,

Cons

I can't think of any

10. "Country Bumpkins Ridin' High"

Pros

It pays money & has restrooms.

Cons

The days are too long & the conditions are dangerous and brutal-The equipment deliveries are done without method & could be extremely dangerous to those with known or unknown health problems or just because of the sheer weight of the things you are handling-In many cases, the staff are unbelievably coarse, overbearing and cruel.

Advice to Management

Include brain transplants in the health insurance benefits.