Single Stop Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Christy Reeves

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Give the new management a chance"

I worked at Single Stop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Single Stop is a great concept, and it attracts individuals who want to make a positive impact in our society. Necessary leadership changes have been made since the former regime was ineffective in developing, much less implementing, an effective organizational strategy aside from hiring and promoting cronies both as staff and as board members. Hopefully, there are now people and processes in place that will actually put the low-income individuals whom Single Stop serves first. The time for self-aggrandizement should be on its way out. Now it's time to focus on the people living in poverty for whom Single Stop was founded.

Cons

The recent reviews on Glassdoor say everything that was, and may still be, wrong with the organization. Too many of these reviews read like propaganda, either to bemoan the "injustice" committed against the former leadership or to applaud the efforts of the new one even before there are any to comment upon. You should be asking yourself who wrote those reviews and what were their motivations, because the posts seemed too intentionally emotional.

That being said, IMHO Single Stop is going through very significant changes, and its transformation will be successful only if the current leadership is capable of fixing the many lingering issues left behind and humble enough to admit missteps and correct them. For the risk taker, now may be a good time to join Single Stop. For the risk averse, stay away. Necessary changes have been made to allow Single Stop to be successful, but the new management has yet to prove itself worthy of meeting these challenges.

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror. Be humble. You know why changes had to be made at Single Stop, and it would be foolish to repeat past mistakes by using the same mindset and tactics that created them in the same place. Take a look at your people and make sure that you are utilizing people for the right reasons and in the right roles. Don't penalize the talented workers by overloading them with responsibilities while allowing the low-performers to continue to coast.

2. "..and one other thing"

Former Employee - Program Research in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Research in New York, NY

I worked at Single Stop (More than a year)

Pros

Not much. Some of the people were cool, I guess?

Cons

In addition to pretty much everything that everyone else wrote, Single Stop makes its employees sign noncompete agreements. Which means that if you quit, they can sue you for finding another job in your field. Super uncool.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to act like you're a flashy startup. You're a nonprofit, with a sound mission. Stick to it, and be kind.

"Worst organization I've ever worked for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Single Stop (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting first-hand look into what not to do as a nonprofit and a valuable case-study in mismanagement. There are some staff members who actually seem invested in the mission, but they are few.

Cons

- Suspicious finances. The entire finance team was replaced with a third-party in early 2016, which has uncovered and contributed to a mess in how funds are allocated and tracked
    - Suspicious reporting. Metrics on impact are exaggerated; executives have a history of pushing reporting to trump-up numbers of households served (duplicates and incorrectly-counted households) and benefit drawdown (formulas used to calculate dollar values for non-cash benefits are inappropriate)
    - Conflicts of interest. Among senior leadership, board members, funders, partners and critically, households served
    - Management. Very few staff members with the ability or inclination to execute; top-heavy on uninformed and inarticulate management
    - Most tragic: Management and executives are out of touch with the people Single Stop is meant to serve; a fraction of staff are familiar with the program as it's practiced on the ground, and they are leaving

Advice to Management

- Advice to management: Come clean about Single Stop's opaque finances
    - Advice to board members and major donors: Clean house. Consider incorporating what valuable assets remain at Single Stop back into Robin Hood or making a clean break
    - Advice to independent reporting parties: Investigate Single Stop

"A tragedy is unfolding"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Single Stop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Single stop had a great model and vision and had been able to help millions of poor families in A short time. That is very rare.

Cons

The robin hood led board changed management last summer and put in people who really dont seem to know anything about non profitsl; they don't understand restrictive funding, or legal requirements and reporting much less fundraising and programs. So instead of runing the place they spend their time trying to cook up complalints and mismangement labout everyone else. Important staff are quitting by then week and no grants have come in since the former ceo left. Even though these,people are,mean-spirited and out of their depth and made my life a living he'll for 7 months I ultimately think the board is responsible. How could they take a place that served millions and won awards and had never shown a deficit and had perfect audits and turned it over with so little care)? And how come they hAvent been paying attention to all the signs now of real trouble? No new money for months? More than l80 percent of key staff leaving in a 4 month periodl? No I don't understand why we needed change when we were having a huge impact and raising a 29 )million budget. Maybe the board led by Robin Hood thought they could do betterl? Maybe there was jealousy or weird politicsl? I don't know but I do know they have carelessly destroyed a very important organization for nothing and I hope someone investigates why.

Advice to Management

Turn it over to professionals with non profit experience.

"Finance Director"

Current Employee - Finance Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Single Stop (More than a year)

Pros

People, mission, network, culture, team

Cons

Poorly funded, indecisive senior management

"new management & board have destroyed an important place of hope for millions"

Former Employee - Senior Program Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Program Officer in New York, NY

I worked at Single Stop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Single Stop was a great place to work. We believed in each other and in our efforts to improve life for low-income families. Now those few that are left, especially those newly in "leadership", spend their time undermining, criticizing and playing games instead of doing any positive work. There are no longer any pros. Staff is demoralized and frightened. We can't understand why the board would allow this to happen or ruin something that was so celebrated and working with so much real impact for Americans in need.

Cons

Single Stop is now an awful work environment. Staff openly talk of being traumatized by the management and everyone is looking for jobs if they aren't spending their days crying. Many of us believed that we could make a difference and saw the impact of the work. Now all I see is a building on fire and quickly collapsing, brought down by the egos of a board and leaders who seem to have no interest in the mission and helping people. The new leadership really does not seem to understand non-profit work or mission or obligations. This had been the best and now is the worst experience of my life to date and really makes me, and many of us, question whether the non-profit sector is worth it.

Advice to Management

Turn over to experienced management and a board that supports the mission before its too late to salvage anything of what was built before.

"Necessary Change Happening Now"

Pros

Foundationally the concept of Single Stop is visionary and impactful.

There is movement toward necessary change with the departure of the former CEO, most of the executive staff and additional members of the "leadership." There is increased alignment of action and mission, as well as a push to value all staff and utilize strengths on the staff team rather than rewarding those who are close to the former CEO regardless of their
    abilities.

Currently Single Stop is reinventing itself with actual leadership, strategy, and a distilled mission. This would be an interesting and growth-provoking time to join the team. Interim CEO Christy Reeves is making whole scale changes that are focused on improving quality of service to clients, quality of work and higher efficiency, and quality of life for employees. Change cannot come fast enough.

Cons

To date the success has been disorganized, lacked strategy, is subject to mission creep, and sometimes accidental. Leadership was in name only, with many people holding gaudy titles did not align with the work the individuals were doing, and were not equipped with the skill sets required to do them. The bulk of the real work of the organization was being done by low-wage persons working excessive hours because they BELIEVE in the that impactful core concept.

Executive and Leadership staff clearly lacked administrative acumen, including being unable to do things such as manage an Outlook calendar or run a meeting let alone manage professional staff or engage in strategic planning. The emphasis was more on finding money to waste on seat upgrades for the former CEO and her favorites or projecting wealth during site visits rather than supporting the work.

I reiterate that most of these people have left the organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the change, and continue to develop strategy. Open lines of communication farther, and invest in your people. Grow professionals, and align mission with action.

"They've messed up a great organization"

Current Employee - Legal Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Single Stop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Single Stop was a great organization with a critical mission and driven staff. I've worked for/with Single Stop for quite awhile as one of its key legal providers. As such, I've been exposed to leadership, program staff. Clients and a number of sites. Over the past two months 5 of the people I admired most left suddenly. I'm told that nearly 20 people from the staff of 50 or so have left but I can't confirm it.

Cons

What I can confirm are three things:
    1. Single Stop has recently lost some of the best talent I've worked with in my 2 decade career.
    2. The new management seems to me to lack knowledge of, or understanding of the needs of clients or of not-for-profits in general. I have met them now twice and those meetings raised concerns. I am concerned about the sustainability of the organization.
    3. The idea that the founding leadership was visionary and nothing else is, on its face, absurd. In law, we have a concept called "Res Ipsa Loquitor" or the things speaks for itself.
    The facts are that in a decade that group grew one of the only non-profits I've ever seen to serve over a million people with so much impact. The success and impact was widely noted for years.This almost never happens because not-for-profit face many complications and lack of resources. Single Stop is one of the major examples of breakthrough impact I've seen in 2 decades, so clearly the team was way more than visionary.

Advice to Management

The board should restructure the management of it hopes to maintain the organization.

"Single Stop seems to be quickly falling apart"

Current Employee - Program Officer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Officer in New York, NY

I have been working at Single Stop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked here for several years and really loved the work and my colleagues. We all felt overworked but also like we were really changing things for millions of low-income families. Also the team was always very supportive of one another. This fall it all fell apart.

Cons

The board took over control from our founding CEO in the strangest way, then installed an interim team with no little non-profit experience. It looks like Robin Hood, which always had lots of influence, had goals in NY that they wanted to pursue without the founding CEO. Since then the entire senior team has resigned in a matter of 3 months! There is real worry that the board may plan to shut down our national programs down and while management talks to national staff about our "viability" and just concentrate on NYC. Of course we are all looking for jobs.

Advice to Management

This is one of the worst things I've ever seen. The board and interim management have taken a thriving and important national organization fighting poverty and destroyed it in a matter of months. It's not clear if it's through arrogance, not knowing what to do or not caring about our national programs or some combo. But the effect is that something that helped millions and was set to help millions more is spinning out of control! Staff are very dissatisfied with the interim CEO, who is new to New York and has never had a national job or run more than a small office in Louisiana. She's supported by a corporate take-over specialist who has almost no experience in the sector. The seeming unraveling of this company is one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed in my years on this earth.

"Changing America! Great Vision!"

I have been working at Single Stop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Single Stop is made up of a wonderful group of bright and talented staff who are truly committed to moving Americans out of poverty. Employees work hard, genuinely care about the work they are doing, and are a fun bunch to interact with. Single Stop is constantly pushing itself to do more and do it better, and all levels of staff have the opportunity to innovate within the field. Compensation is very competitive with lots of opportunity for growth, both within departments and cross-functionally.

Cons

As a 7 year old organization, Single Stop is transitioning away from it's start up mentality - and with that comes some growing pains. Some departments are more evolved than others, and communication cross functionally could be better. Management has been very self aware of this process and is dedicated to systematizing it's work and building it's infrastructure in order to poise Single Stop for considerable growth.