SingleHop Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Zak Boca

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Human Resources Manager"

I worked at SingleHop full-time

Pros

Excellent environment, amazing leadership, and a growing office culture.

Cons

Still a new company, and definitely growing at an exponential rate, so adjusting to consistent change can be difficult.

2. "Amazing company to work for, with few caveats."

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I have been working at SingleHop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is hands down, the best company I've had the pleasure of working in. I hadn't realized how important "Culture fit" was in regard to making you feel at home until I started here - and what a culture! 95% of the people I work with on a daily basis are high performers by any standard, and by far the best and the brightest I've worked with. We push each other to do the best we can. I've never seen more people collectively motivated to make a company a better place, and every day I truly awaken looking forward to going to work with the desire to challenge myself, learn something new, and do the very best I can!

Cons

(I will say that this is from a support perspective - I can't vouch for any other department).

That being said, the best work environment in the world doesn't pay my bills, and that is somewhat demotivating. Tough as it is to say, It's somewhat upsetting for us to do our best, and not be compensated at that level (or frankly, even at market rate). There's some growing discontent there - we want to feel as valued as we value and believe in this company.

For outstanding performance, oftentimes many of us are not seeing any reward other than personal satisfaction, and not even recognition of any kind - why should we push ourselves even harder? Social media mentions are great, but internal recognition and performance-based compensation is better.

I'll be frank - nearly all of us want to stay and grow within the company. Unfortunately, the opportunity to grow doesn't seem to be there - so as it stands, most of us in limbo know that someday this will have to come to an end if we want to grow in our fields of expertise. That's a hard thing to have to come to terms with, so I'm really hoping this will change.

Advice to Management

Vet your new hires - 6 months at the current rate. If they fit, increase their salaries to a fair, competitive market rate - I *guarantee* your return on investment there will pay off in spades.

We're a growing company - if you want to keep that growth coming, allow some room for people to branch out and grow. It does you no good to spend opportunity cost in hiring and training someone to have that body of knowledge leave for another company out of necessity for the salary increase. Also - I'd love to see some more staff, as we're keeping things together, but at the rate of growth, burn-out for some people is a very real possibility.

We're turning from a start-up to an industry leader - these are absolutely growing pains. How a company handles this specific period of it's life determines it's ultimate destiny - let us be a part of that by making this not only a great place to start your career, but a great place to grow it, too.

C level staff: busy as I know you've got to be, take a moment to look at what your people are doing to stand out from the rest of the best, help them develop their respective talents, and reward or recognize them for their efforts. If I put 110% into my company, I want to feel like my company is putting 110% back into me.

I'd also like to see us refocus on the core concepts that made us successful. Obviously we've got things going on, but I'd like to not see all of our efforts in one place. Existing process improvement will make all the difference in the world to current operations.

Just my 2 cents from a ground-floor view.

3. "Evolving Company, with a Few Bad Habits"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator

I have been working at SingleHop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment and fellow employees push one another to become versed in a multitude of future and present technologies. Asking questions is encouraged, by fellow coworkers and never frowned upon. Technical Management want each employee to succeed and provide the resources to do so.

Consistently working with new technologies, and learning new concepts. On a daily basis we deal with new and challenging issues that give us a greater depth of knowledge of each service we offer.

Cons

Technical Department as a whole is not appreciated by other departments or upper management. Insufficient amount of competent employees to support number of clients Singlehop has. Majority of technical team is greatly under paid when compared to other departments or companies with similar "System Administrator".

Advice to Management

Better communication between departments is necessary for Singlehop to grow. Provide a clear view of where the company is headed short and long term. This also can be said for each employee on the technical team.

4. "It has it's pros and cons like any other company."

Former Employee - Senior Billing Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Billing Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at SingleHop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, fun work environment, good perks, open door policy.

Cons

Growing pains, "leap before you look" attitude, not very receptive to moving laterally in the company, some departments seemed to get preferential treatment over others.

Advice to Management

More communication between departments, stabilize what you have before expanding.

SingleHop Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director of HR

We appreciate your candor and we agree that we experience growing pains, just like any other growing company. Thank you for your perspective, we will continue to work on our internal communication... More

5. "Flexible, Work/Life Balance, Fun Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at SingleHop full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SingleHop offers a fair amount of flexibility with some employees working remotely, and lax start times. Not very many late nights, offering a good work/life balance. A fair amount of autonomy. In terms of design, I was able to work on a wide variety of projects, including SingleHop's main website, campaigns, rebranding newly acquired brands, events, and digital products.

Cons

Theres some growing pains, with various management and "decision-maker" changes across multiple departments, that can feel like a lack of direction, and make it difficult to move projects forward.

Advice to Management

Keep up (and in some cases bring back) the transparency of decisions and direction. This is what made SingleHop feel more like a family.

"Network Engineer"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SingleHop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After my graduation this is my first full time job and so far it is been amazing experience working with my team(Network and security) and Singlehop organization. Every day is a learning process and wonderful team support and a good atmosphere, lot of opportunities and growth.Higher management is very instrumental, the director of network operations is very experienced and supportive. Great place to work!

Cons

There are really no bad sides working with Singlehop

SingleHop Response

Apr 17, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for the feedback. We are happy to hear that your experience has been positive.

"Good Company, Good Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SingleHop full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work environment and people are probably the thing I enjoy the most.

Cons

Depending on your position, you can be required to work on off hours. Usually this is pretty compensated or late start the following day is allowed.

"Great Workplace Environment, Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Server Administrator in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Server Administrator in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SingleHop full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is great. Management is there to help, and provides guidance where neded, but they don't micromanage everything. They expect you to get your job done. And, overwhelmingly, people do get their job done. The vast majority of the people who work here are very diligent and work very hard.
    There's a very laid-back feel as well. There's currently no dresscode and tech employees typically wears tshirts/shorts/jeans/flip flops/sneakers. While we're focused on work when need be, there's sometimes some time for fun and joking around.
    Work load can cary between very heavy, and very light. Some days there's plenty of free time, other days there's one call after another and it seems impossible to make any progress.
    The work is challenging, and you deal with new issues each day so you're continually increasing your experience and skillset.
    Singlehop will offer resources for training to advance your skills and acquire certifications as well.

Cons

While Singlehop will offer you free resources for training for certifications, etc, initial on-the-job training for new hires isn't great. Usually it involves shadowing another tech for a while, and later working on your own with some guidance.
    If you're coming in with some experience you'll pick everything up without any issue, but if this is your first job working on troubleshooting web servers it can be a whole lot to take in and takes quite some time to catch on.
    In this job you have interactions with customers over the phone and through email, and like any customer service job you will deal with rude and difficult customers. Most are fine, but often enough you will need to deal with this. When you do encounter such customers it's important you're patient, empathetic, and respectful.
    Also, we're a 24/7 support company and most new hires can expect to be working either evening or overnight shifts. This isn't ideal for many.

Advice to Management

I'd suggest to offer better training to new hires.
    Also, while our direct support supervisor great and will make time as needed, it seems customer service management is always swamped with projects and doesn't have quite as much time to focus on their employees and their customers as they used to. For optimal customer service I'd suggest ensuring customer service managers have plenty of time to focus on customer service rather than getting sidetracked with big projects and sidework.

"Exceeded my Expectations"

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SingleHop full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding Culture - Honest, Forward & Transparent Leadership - Great Location - Challenging Environment for the Self-Driven

Cons

The physical space is often disorganized.

"Exciting and amazing place to work"

I have been working at SingleHop full-time

Pros

Culture, Community, Flexibility, Leadership, HR is amazing.

Cons

Communication can be lacking- especially if you're remote
    Structure- can seem to be 'out there' but business gets done.

Advice to Management

Keep driving forward- the company has been a success to date because of your vision- keep that in mind and continue to hire the right teams.