SiriusXM Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
SiriusXM CEO James E. Meyer
James E. Meyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Casual work environment, continuous training (in 22 reviews)

• SiriusXM does have pretty good benefits (in 17 reviews)

Cons

"Response Specialist $13 Slave Job"

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intimidation! This is about how the company's training is actually referred to as boot camp. The main boss that introduces herself says the rules for the floor were as follows: We couldn't have desk fans, blankets, black pouches that hold our headphones. It was stated that these were not official rules but she “just didn't like it”, leading us to believe she was the final say in all matters. This was back in February. When this same woman spoke of agents who were no longer working at Sirius it was ALWAYS to threaten us. When speaking about policies and agent's who had violated or not been up to par on various parts of their job it was always “well those people aren't here anymore” said with enjoyment. Didn't care to mask anything. She almost boasted about those agents having been fired. We all looked at each other confused. She never asked our names. Not once. She did however choose to introduce herself with the following; “First person who knows my name gets a prize.” This wasn't said to be playful. This was the person who was in charge of our department and our first impression of her was one that induced intense fear, anxiety and uncertainty. This was supposed to be a Welcome. It was more of a dictation. Actually, it was meant to be just that. We were ALL well aware we were to NEVER cross her. We were to make NO mistakes.
    One morning I witnessed an agent say good morning to this manager particularly in a really upbeat friendly tone and she looked at her with a look on her face that I can only describe as one that says 'Why on Earth would you be speaking to me?' and then walked away without a word. I specifically remember this agent walked away looking crushed. Her feelings looked shattered. Like me, her job is to build rapport and have empathy with our customers and she had to return to work not understanding what she had done wrong. Another peer, whom was brand new when she encountered the same response from this woman at the phone counter. There have actually been no agents I could personally find that didn't have some version of that experience with her. The only common denominator was that the agents that expressed their negative experiences with her were all female. While she got easier for me to interact with personally we are always intimidated in group settings.
    To us, this monster of a manager was the big boss and we knew from the very beginning to never challenge that. Not even when she was in the wrong.

Cons

We are told it is call avoidance to clock out even a minute early for breaks and lunches. If we work into or even all the way through our scheduled breaks it is not adjusted (as a rule but is done for some depending on your supervisor.
Here's an example:
    Agent X is scheduled for a lunch break at 12pm but they get a really bad ACN at 11:59am. They handle the call thoroughly standing by with the customer who may have life threatening injuries. The call ends at 12:25pm. Agent X is now 25 minutes out of adherence going into their lunch meal and another 25 minutes out of it because they are still needing to take a lunch break. Agent X is now 50 minites out of adherence. They're then told that's why the goal isn't 100%. They're given 7% which is not really theirs since it's designated first and foremost back to the company. The 7% is not the agent's to use at all. Again, it's designated to you. Then they're told that agents should wait for their scheduled breaks to use the restroom or not have bathroom emergencies when they've explained they need liquids to get through back to back calls. They're told to wait to check on their sick child or ailing parent.
    Agent X is told that it doesn't matter that they were working to sell and save accounts and lives and that's just the “way it is”. Agent X decided not to take a lunch thinking it will help them stay in adherence. They just had to choose working for time they'll never be paid for or being written up or possibly losing their job because unfortunately Agent X had back to back calls that consistently ran into their breaks. If this agent can't log out even a minute or two early and the calls are back to back, the agent will always be choosing between working for free or facing what can be pretty harsh consequences if they continue having this problem. Why would working hard to make your company money and taking the half hr meal break allowed by law put us in the position of bargaining with our job security or submit ourselves to free labor to save our scorecard? Having to reduce liquids the higher the call volume because I may not be able to use the bathroom in time. If it's busy I know I'm probably going to run into my break times.

Advice to Management

ASK THEM FOR THE TRUTH, LISTEN AND STOP IGNORING THEM! THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS AND THEY ARE TERRIFIED! And so was I.
    Sick and Exhausted, Diamond C. Medina

"Principal Engineer"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to learn the latest technology this is great place to work.

Cons

This is a cut throat environment, that management supports . The truth is dead at SiriusXM. Employees are expected to work late into the night and weekends with out compensation. Late night and weekends (Saturday and Sunday) are standard. There is no work life balance.

Advice to Management

Stand up for employees, SiriusXM iwork environment is not sustainable; Churn and burn! Everyday you come to work you are not sure if you work a full day or be fired

"Over-worked and Underappreciated"

I worked at SiriusXM full-time

Pros

Cool building and location. A recognized brand, great for resume. Fun employees and friendly environment, including management. Free Starbucks coffee machine and snacks.

Cons

In my experience the overall morale of the employees is extremely low, which is unfortunate because there are a lot of exceptional people working there at all levels. Outdated marketing structure. Cares more about big names and networks than quality of product. Most of the employees doing the real work are underpaid and work long hours, going above and beyond. There is very little opportunity for advancement and constant deception about promotions and raises, which never actually happen. Equipment is old and outdated and employees have to share workspaces, mostly cubicles, and computers in rotation. HR is inefficient and disconnected with management so this seems to be the main cause for lack of long-term career options. Part-Time employees are over-worked and don't see opportunities for advancement, and unfortunately are not trained adequately.

Advice to Management

Restructure the HR department and put people in place that understand the product and what type of employees are needed. Value employees more and give them raises and promotions based on work quality and not favoritism. Create bonus structures and advancement opportunities within appropriate pre-determined timelines. Some people have worked there for several years (5-12) with no raise and even promotions don't offer more compensation.

"Worst experience in all my IT career"

Former Contractor - IT Trojan in Irving, TX
    Former Contractor - IT Trojan in Irving, TX

I worked at SiriusXM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free soda....that's it. Wish I could find more positive things, but I cannot.

Cons

Bickering departments, some departments totally filled with one culture, sweat shop, unappreciated, folks that have been there far too long and need to go, stubborn management.....list goes on and on

Advice to Management

Treat IT a little nicer, and get rid of the long term guys that have such a negative disposition.

"Connectect Vehicle Service"

Former Employee - Connected Vehicle Services in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Connected Vehicle Services in Irving, TX

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free drinks! Free Food! That's it!

Cons

No weekends off! Very Rude People! Being fake and lying to customers is the goal!

Advice to Management

Please be honest about the job and advise new hires about the selected schedule!

6. "This place is garbage"

Former Employee - Retention Agent
    Former Employee - Retention Agent

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free siriusxm subscription, pretty good benefits.

Cons

Firts off the hire outbound managers that don't know anything. You literally have to train your own boss so they can tell you, your doing your job wrong.The turn over rate is so high you never know who's your lead half the time. They pay is horrible, you do nothing with the radio side only connected vehicle services, you get yelled at and screamed at by people who didn't even know they had the service, and your job is to convince them too keep it. Even on the response side (the life saving acn's and sos features they brag so much about) your job is to sell sell sell, even if the services don't work half the time, and they don't trust me. Your always there I swear I felt like I lived there, and only made about 800 dollars every two weeks. Plus anything that goes wrong even if it's a system error (and there's allot of those) it's blamed on you and they will throw you under the bus. DO NOT WORK HERE. Please go somewhere else it's not worth it. The ceo of the company even said "sell our services like it's life or death, I don't care if it don't work half the time". Let that sink in.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring outbound leads and management. Get your system together and stop putting the blame on the employees and take accountability for your own doings.

7. "Horrible place"

Pros

No pros at all whatsoever

Cons

They pay you the salary of a high schooler

Advice to Management

Pay your people what their worth

"Don't work for hell if you don't have to!!"

Former Employee - Response Specialist in Irving, TX

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get free soda.
    When you first start that make you feel like it's going to be great it's a trick don't fall it.

Cons

The software that we use do not work
    Your computer May completely shut down in the middle of a call
    Hugh tell the supervisor and they just tell you to move to another seat
    They don't follow their own procedures and protocols
    Nothing is black-and-white everything is great it's a 50-50 chance no matter what you do that it could or could not be good.
    They don't care about their employees at all

Advice to Management

Advice to management will be to rebuild the management because they turn a lot of good employees to leave are turning them bad I made it to where they didn't care about their job.

"Draining"

Former Employee - Music Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Music Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment. Coworkers are great people.

Cons

Little pay and even smaller recognition from upper management. A lot of overtime hours that you don't get paid for. The work becomes monotonous. Little room for growth because all the higher ups remain in their positions, so there are rarely any openings.

Advice to Management

Make your employees feel more appreciated, then there might not be such a high turnover of employees.

10. "Call center"

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Irving, TX

I worked at SiriusXM (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers are great, the management sucks!

Cons

The management staff is awful! God forbid you get sick

Advice to Management

Treat you staff better.