SiriusXM Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SiriusXM CEO James E. Meyer
James E. Meyer

Pros
  • Great learning experience and great work environment (in 18 reviews)

• Very laid back and contemporary (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited room for growth in the company / industry (in 10 reviews)

• You will be asked to work on holidays or when you are off of work or on vacation, very poor work life balance (in 9 reviews)

1. "This place is garbage"

Former Employee - Retention Agent
    Former Employee - Retention Agent

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free siriusxm subscription, pretty good benefits.

Cons

Firts off the hire outbound managers that don't know anything. You literally have to train your own boss so they can tell you, your doing your job wrong.The turn over rate is so high you never know who's your lead half the time. They pay is horrible, you do nothing with the radio side only connected vehicle services, you get yelled at and screamed at by people who didn't even know they had the service, and your job is to convince them too keep it. Even on the response side (the life saving acn's and sos features they brag so much about) your job is to sell sell sell, even if the services don't work half the time, and they don't trust me. Your always there I swear I felt like I lived there, and only made about 800 dollars every two weeks. Plus anything that goes wrong even if it's a system error (and there's allot of those) it's blamed on you and they will throw you under the bus. DO NOT WORK HERE. Please go somewhere else it's not worth it. The ceo of the company even said "sell our services like it's life or death, I don't care if it don't work half the time". Let that sink in.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring outbound leads and management. Get your system together and stop putting the blame on the employees and take accountability for your own doings.

2. "Worst place to work"

Former Contractor - Senior Java Developer
    Former Contractor - Senior Java Developer

I worked at SiriusXM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I dont have one nice thing to say about them. I worked here as a contractor and it seemed like a sweatshop. The recruiter who heads up the contracting department was nasty and unprofessional and they pay below what the average company pays for contractors. If you ask for an increase they immediately terminate or try to replace you.

Cons

Sweatshop and low hourly rates, well below market.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone fairly.

3. "Horrible place"

Pros

No pros at all whatsoever

Cons

They pay you the salary of a high schooler

Advice to Management

Pay your people what their worth

"Don't work for hell if you don't have to!!"

Former Employee - Response Specialist in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Response Specialist in Irving, TX

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get free soda.
    When you first start that make you feel like it's going to be great it's a trick don't fall it.

Cons

The software that we use do not work
    Your computer May completely shut down in the middle of a call
    Hugh tell the supervisor and they just tell you to move to another seat
    They don't follow their own procedures and protocols
    Nothing is black-and-white everything is great it's a 50-50 chance no matter what you do that it could or could not be good.
    They don't care about their employees at all

Advice to Management

Advice to management will be to rebuild the management because they turn a lot of good employees to leave are turning them bad I made it to where they didn't care about their job.

"Draining"

Former Employee - Music Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Music Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very relaxed work environment. Coworkers are great people.

Cons

Little pay and even smaller recognition from upper management. A lot of overtime hours that you don't get paid for. The work becomes monotonous. Little room for growth because all the higher ups remain in their positions, so there are rarely any openings.

Advice to Management

Make your employees feel more appreciated, then there might not be such a high turnover of employees.

7. "Call center"

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Irving, TX

I worked at SiriusXM (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers are great, the management sucks!

Cons

The management staff is awful! God forbid you get sick

Advice to Management

Treat you staff better.

"Do Yourself A Favor - Don't Work Here"

I worked at SiriusXM full-time

Pros

In my experience, there were no pros. Actually there was one, the salary, for me, was a good jump up but everything comes with a price and here, that's your mental health.

Cons

I saw red flags from the beginning but gave it a shot anyway. I didn't even complete the online application and they contacted me. Either I have awesome skills or they were desparate. Not to put myself down but after starting, they were desparate. Probably because no one wants to work for the department I was in or for those that run the department. The phone interviews were horrible along with unprofessional.

They don't care about/value their employees even when you voice your concerns. Lack of communication, engagement, involvement and organization run rampant. There was no on boarding/training at all, they just throw you at a desk. I should have been involved more but like I said, even after voicing my concerns, I was still ignored and left to twiddle my thumbs.

It was mentally taxing, almost from the get-go, to the point it got really difficult to get out of bed in the mornings to go in. All around, it's a very unhealthy envrionment. I've heard the same things from others who still work there (God knows why) and others who used to work there. Even outside recruiters have heard these and other negative things about the company.

So in closing, believe me, find another place to work. You'll be a lot happier.

Advice to Management

Upper Mgmt needs to LISTEN and really make changes.

"Not the place you want to begin your career if you have a choice"

Former Employee - Producer
    Former Employee - Producer

I worked at SiriusXM part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Hands off approach by management. You're given a task and its up to you to sink or swim
    - The coolest perk of the job is coming to work and seeing/bumping into your favorite cultural icons. You'll trip over celeb/pro athlete interviewees working there
    - Depending on what you do on the production side you may find yourself being a part of memorable moments in pop culture history (i.e. unforgettable interviews, exclusive party invites, etc)
    - It's a pain, but from time to time management will let you experiment and create your own thing/lane that works for you in the company

Cons

- THERE'S NO ROOM/OPPORTUNITY FOR UPWARD MOBILITY
    - You will work a full time schedule with part time pay. Hours will be inconsistent and erratic at best
    - If the grind doesn't burn you out the endless office politics will. There's a very strong "Boys Club" environment on the Production side. You will be treated as you're slotted/ranked in that hierarchy
    - Basic promotions as a full time or part time staff member takes years
    - You're treated as and often told that you're expendable
    - Depending on what you want to accomplish, you will be expected to work for free at times. This is not a SiriusXM practice but rather one of the media industry developing talent on the Production side. However, unlike most media outlets SiriusXM will let you work for free for years before you're offered/considered for basic compensation
    - Unless you're management you will be forbidden/restricted from engaging with upper management
    - The pay is below market value as the company views new/younger talent as replacable
    - After some time working there you will eventually notice the general disdain most employees at all levels have for the company
    - The work environment is not a postive one or one that is conducive to minimalizing stress
    - Last but not least, management will lie to and mislead you at times to benefit of the company if they know your actual value and rather you stay for less pay then move on

Advice to Management

- Invest in your staff and offer/create opportunities for REAL advancement.
    - Validate your employees efforts. Working 5 yrs as a part time employee to be offered a 35K full time job is asinine. Conversely, being promoted as a full time employee with a 2-5% bump in pay is ridiculous. Most companies give that as an annual raise
    - Address the "Boys Club" culture on the Production side. Being an unknown prospect doesn't make you unqualified employee. Being white doesn't make you an automatic fit in the sports dept and being black doesn't make you an automatic fit in the urban music dept
    - Bring back the seasonal parties to boost company morale. A Xmas/Summer party will not bankrupt the company. Employees see how much money is spent on Howard and the lobby renovation. Spending a fraction of that on the employees for a Summer/Xmas party would go a long way in showing appreciation
    - Stop exploiting young staff members by allowing them to work for free or work full time hours with part time pay because you don't want to pay for medical insurance
    - Raise the base pay for your staff. 35K starting salary for full time employees and $15/per hour for part time staff is an unsustainable wage in this economy. Especially when the company wants college graduate talent. If you want your board ops to have college degrees then pay them like you know/expect them to have student loans to pay back

10. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, fairly good schedule flexibility

Cons

Poor salary, telecommute options are based on if management likes you, career advancement is almost non-existent if you aren't hand picked by senior management, There is no definitive mechanism for reviews therefore bonuses/promotions are often not merit based; cronyism- specifically in Channel Management.; corporate environment is horrible, creating lazy and miserable workforce.

Advice to Management

Speak to your employees informally. Stop wasting talent in the lower ranks. Truly discover what your subordinates are capable of instead of your preconceived notions based on race/gender.

11. "The HR department sucked"

I worked at SiriusXM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free radio subscription
    Summer Fridays
    Stock Options

Cons

Racist
    Cronies
    Low pay
    Buy your own radio

Experience will vary depending on the department you are at. Some pay huge bonuses and give good raises. My department was lead by a very racist person. My leader had his/her own cronies and rewarded them tremendously. They came up with my leader and their skills were not up to par but was protected by my leader.

There is a lot of shadiness going on in HR. The person who does employee relations for the corporate side is very lazy and inappropriate. Loves to gossip and extremely unprofessional. Some of my friends that were termed told me she didn’t even explain to them how to collect unemployment benefits when they asked.

Benefits team suck like hell. They messed up my benefits so many times. My W2 was wrong one year and had to be reissued after I had already filed my taxes. They are complete idiots. They also messed up my domestic partnership benefits.

They gave me stock one year. Very little but made a big deal out of it. The stock is not doing well but money is money.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your HR team.