SiriusXM Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 28, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SiriusXM CEO James E. Meyer
James E. Meyer

Pros
  • Relaxed work environment, as challenging as you want it to be (in 19 reviews)

• Very laid back and contemporary (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Limited room for growth in the company / industry (in 10 reviews)

• You will be asked to work on holidays or when you are off of work or on vacation, very poor work life balance (in 9 reviews)

"It is a good place to work."

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at SiriusXM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is decent. Benefits, paid vacation for full time employees, bonus potential, very good 401k plan, stock grants...

Cons

Senior Management is filled with angry chimpanzees. Stagnant upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Yelling at your employees like they are your cocker spaniel that just shat on your rug is probably not the best way to motivate people.

2. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at SiriusXM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good, smart people, interesting company, dynamic industry and quality work environment. Easy hours with good work life balance, summer hours are nice

Cons

No opportunity for advancement, individual achievement not recognized, no mentoring or cross training. Once you've been here a while most mentally check out and eventually leave

Advice to Management

Recognize those who contribute, promote teamwork and interaction with other departments. Promote for quality work, not just because someone has been there "long enough" for next title. Hire more women older than 30

3. "Contracts Director"

Current Employee - Director in Poughquag, NY
    Current Employee - Director in Poughquag, NY

I have been working at SiriusXM (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cool points, fascinating business, people I work with

Cons

people I am forced to work with, work divas

"SR Eng Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Pros

Young team, innovative, progressive, encourage new comers.

Cons

progress slow and stalls in few years.

"All depends on department and your manager"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at SiriusXM (More than 3 years)

Pros

Again all depends on department and your superior. Some places have good work/life balance and some areas you need to work late. Thats basically it unfortunately

Cons

upper management only wants to kiss a $$ to executives instead of getting work done. No open communication to all employees, god forbid you sent an email to senior management and worse if you made a spelling mistake or punctuation was wrong. SUPER HILO organization here, you can't work with another department; they do their things and you do your things. No culture here, basically its like working in a closet. Almost 95% Indians (not racist) so meetings and remembering names is a job itself. Benefits/perks? coffee, soda and pretzels, that it. Some free food once in a while and normal company discounts, blah blah blah. Crappy laptops, low resolution monitors. Also don't try to ask for a wireless mouse or any upgrades, I had to bring my own. Laptop is locked up and can't install anything or modify anything (but kind of understandable). If you are in IT area, good luck with competition and pray you have a great team. Health Benefits are normal but better than most. If you get paid higher than most, be prepared to not get many raises "because you get paid a lot more than your peers". There are more cons, but again, if you are luck to get a good team maybe you can add to the Pros.
    Executive management ONLY cares about profit which is obvious for all companies but in a recent company meeting, CEO blatantly stating I don't care anything about our customers just if they subscribe and pay us money.
    Again depends on your team, but mostly all quartler/yearly reviews are all about #s and PROVING/SHOWING what you are doing. I know you need to show what has been done during the year but it looks more like if you don't have a lot to show, it doesn't look good. Luckily I am way too busy to have free time and barely time to eat lunch during 12pm.
    Meetings? work hours 9am to 5pm be prepared to have meetings filling up your entire day and MAYBE having 1 or 2 hours to actually do work. If I didn't have meetings m productivity would honestly quadruple. THere are mulitple meetings where someone sends out and email and when joins the call, just reads the email on the call (slowly) and then asks if any questions; there is an 1hour of my life I can't get back.
    If you like to be alone, no team feeling, like to drink coffee alone and eat lunch alone, love to have a permanent crink in your neck because of meetings taking up 7 hours of your day, this might be a Pro for you.

Advice to Management

I don't blame managers or directors but the executive management. I guess the executive management puts some sort of fear or threats to the subordinates thus they put it down to all other employees thus my Cons regarding open communication and God forbid you try to email upper management.

7. "Music Operations Intern"

Former Intern - Music Programming Operations in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Intern - Music Programming Operations in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at SiriusXM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You have access to free books and are allowed to be part of the audience when artists come by for interviews / performances.

Cons

At the time, the company were laying off a lot of people - so as an intern, there wasn't much room for growth.

8. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Place to Work. Nice People

Cons

Changing Environment. IT went through a restructure.

9. "Be independent, and it'll be fun"

Former Employee - Programming Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Programming Intern in New York, NY

I worked at SiriusXM (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of fun! i worked at the Opie & Jim morning show, so hours weren't great- I'm just not a morning person. It's a pretty relaxed and chill environment. If you really want a job there, just be personable and actively make relationships and getting a job won't be that hard.

Cons

You won't learn unless you make them to teach you. You will very much spend most of your time getting coffee/breakfast/lunch and running other errands for management and guests of the show. You won't get a lot of guidance, if you aren't a go-getter and a serious self-starter, you'll leave knowing only little more than what you did going in.

10. "So so place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SiriusXM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People in the company are great to work with. The office environment is not too rigid and people are always looking for a reason to party.

Cons

Pays below the market standards and didn't see many people moving up.

Advice to Management

Give a visible growth pattern to the employees

"More leaders, less bosses"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor - Connected Vehicle in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor - Connected Vehicle in Irving, TX

Pros

Benefits are comparable
    VP is genuinely encouraging and appreciative, approachable
    Nature of business and technology is innovative and exciting
    Pay and bonus is comparable for some

Cons

No way to manage up, there is no employee survey or any other way to give feedback regarding job satisfaction
    Minimal, incomplete training for supervisors
    Inconsistent, unspecific feedback from management. More of a reactive than proactive action style.
    No career pathing, though requested and promised to be an initiative.

Advice to Management

It is important to be customer service oriented and people centric in this field. If you are not a people person, and you do not sincerely show a concern for cultivating and culture where people feel appreciated and included, it will continue to be difficult to drive results and we will keep seeing top performers leave.