SirsiDynix Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Pros
  • The work environment fosters growth and opportunity as the teams work together to accomplish their goals (in 11 reviews)

• They have an excellent break room (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The Health Insurance is kind of pricy (in 7 reviews)

• Product development just recently hired additional developers so is just now making progress on delivering new products (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We always have fun activities and monthly auctions using points that other people give you as a thank you. The support center is not a call center.

Cons

They don't always very jalapeño smear on free bagel day.

Advice to Management

Take better care of the support department. We are treated really well but we need a few more people.

Sep 13, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your feedback. I'll see what we can do about the jalapeño smear! It sounds like you are in Customer Support, so let me know if you are on the EMEA or APAC team. And thank you for your ... More

2. "Accountant"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of paid vacation time as well as personal days. Pay was decent. I felt like I was treated well and appreciated.

Cons

I saw a lot of RIFs when I was there, which hurt morale.

Advice to Management

Make all of the employees feel valued.

"Software Engineer - 4 year mark"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering management genuinely cares about the people that work there. They will give you opportunities to improve if you end up struggling. They also are very good to work with you around family life, illness, etc.

The engineering department is making very serious efforts to modernize and automate to give the developers more time to create and to ensure product quality, something that has been badly needed.

Upward progress has recently been clearly defined and there is a path now for promotions and what the expectations are for advancement.

They are trying very hard to come up with perks to help with retention when funds aren't available for at market rates for engineers. Remote options, very flexible schedules, etc.

Cons

Pay - you'll see this on almost every review. I have lost too many good co-workers due to low pay and it is painful. Engineers working at a level 4 or 5 can leave Sirsi to go to a company across the street, or even to a company in the same parking lot, to work at a level 1 or 2 and make 15k-20k more a year. Sirsi's customer base isn't retail - they have a very limited set of customers, so it is understandable, but retention is horrible because of it.

Tenure based promotions rather than skill based - you can be an absolute rock star but unless you've 'put in your time' you won't get a promotion. This isn't to say they don't reward good efforts, bonuses are a thing, if small, and you can get promoted ahead of schedule in some cases, but it is rare.

Retention - there are some trickle down issues with the retention problems. There aren't enough engineers on staff to make it easy to remove under-performing employees. They do try hard to give struggling employees better opportunities to succeed - they'll move people to different teams if there are personality issues or if someone happens to be better at a different aspect of programming than others (front end vs back end, etc). That is great - but often, poor performing employees stick around for a very long time, then end up with lots of product knowledge that makes them even harder to remove.

Too much vaporware - we still have a tendency to sell products that don't actually exist and then scramble to build it out afterwards. This is very painful for the engineers who would have loved to have had time to build out a solid product that produced the desired result, but often this vaporware is tied into contracts with customers and has a set release date with penalties if not delivered...that almost always ends as you would expect.

The health benefits are really about the worst I've had to deal with in 15 years of employment. Very high deductible plans, next to zero matching contributions for the HSAs that are supposed to help offset the costs. Lots of co-insurance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the work on trying to come up with ways to help with retention and get those pay rates up.

Stop outsourcing - seriously. It is massively demoralizing. The engineer quality has not been worth the constant worry that you'll be replaced for some guy in Argentina we can get on the cheap.

Re-look at the benefits package. Take a long hard look.

4. "Great starter job."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start a career, lots of opportunities to develop skills.

Cons

limited room for professional growth. Salaries tend to be on the low side.

5. "Good company, low pay , lots of opportunities to try new things"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of friendly people , lots lateral mobility, good break room

Cons

Pay on the low side, lack vertical mobility

Advice to Management

Management is trying its best for the company

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of flexibility with schedule, easy to change departments, lots of fun activities (really, really good activities). Management are easy-going and approachable.

Cons

Pay isn't competitive with other local software companies, company is bought and sold every few years which can lead to various problems.

Advice to Management

Try to be more aggressive with salaries to retain talent.

"A decent company, just not for engineers"

Former Employee - Developer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Developer in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The product managers were great to work with

People at sirsi had great personalities. Some of the friendliest people I've worked with

There were some great managers/directors! Was glad to work with Mike Russell and Jeff Goodwin

Cons

The software engineers have to take on too many roles. Just because engineers are capable of writing documentation, testing software, and training scrum masters doesn't mean we want to all the time. I don't mind stepping in from time to time but not as frequent as i had to

Customer expectations were really demanding

Leadership in QA was never great. This included recent managers and past ones. It reflected in the testers I've worked with. I've talked to a few QA managers, don't seem to have a solid grip on what's going on

There was no release cycle consistency across products, this could get frustrating at times

Ultimately it was the pay that was the deciding factor for me not to stay

8. "Very Happy to be Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a current employee of SirsiDynix for a few years, I feel very fortunate to be part of this middle-size software organization. Working in the library sector is rewarding as you are helping communities and organizations who are in the business of helping their patrons research, locate, and gain physical and electronic access to the wealth of information available today. SirsiDynix has created a very enjoyable working atmosphere where employees have the tools they need to effectively perform, freedom to make their own decisions in their work, and flexibility with work schedules and working locations. I interface with many of the staff and management members and find them to be friendly, happy, family oriented, and very well skilled in their professions. They are a pleasure to work with and I believe I fit in very comfortably among them. When friends and family ask me how my job is going, I tell them I feel very blessed and could not be happier. Seriously!

Cons

Although I believe (and witness) that in this sized organization there are always position growth opportunities, I think some co-workers feel that they may not advance as quickly as they wish. I also think some people are not as patient as me.

Advice to Management

Business is always a challenge, markets are always changing. Keep up the accurate and sensible navigation from the top, while maintaining the friendly, small-organization atmosphere that you have created here.

Dec 12, 2016 – Talent Strategy Manager

Thanks for the review. We're happy to have you! We in HR and Recruiting would love to hear from you if you or someone you work with is interested in discussing growth opportunities. Sometimes it's ... More

"Warning"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagle Mountain, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagle Mountain, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SirsiDynix is a good company for someone looking to get into a field without already having experience in that field.

Cons

While the company is decent, I feel it necessary to point out that many of the C-level execs/VPs do not seem to have their employees' best interest in mind. I did not really understand this until moving to a company where that is not the case. The VP's tend to stick together and spend money on themselves while keeping employee wages shockingly low compared to other IT companies. They aren't very involved with their employees and aware of how things really are within their departments. While I liked Bill Davison fine enough when I worked at SirsiDynix, again, I learned how removed he is from pain points for his employees and even how, in some departments, the way managers are treating their direct reports is simply NOT okay, or even ethical/legal. Basically, I was disillusioned as an employee since the company constantly tells its employees how great it is, and now I see otherwise. The turnover is insane because people can come in, get a little experience, and immediately leave to a company that will pay 200% of their salary (not exaggerating; personal experience) where they're treated better.

Advice to Management

Be freaking honest with yourselves and be decent human beings, not just businessmen.

10. "Great company to gain experience"

Former Employee - Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities, Great Culture

Cons

Compensation is lacking, and problems with people being complacent

Dec 12, 2016 – Talent Strategy Manager

Thanks for the feedback. Within the Customer Support team, I know that great efforts are made by both team members and management to keep everyone motivated and having fun (I assume that contributed ... More