SirsiDynix Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relaxed, professional atmosphere; Great work/life balance; My manager has a fantastic, progressive management style (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible work environment with growth opportunity (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The Health Insurance is kind of pricy (in 7 reviews)

• They seem too focused on releasing new products to realize their important products are failing (in 5 reviews)

1. "Marketing Associate"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment with growth opportunity

Cons

Owned by Private equity which added complication to decision making

Advice to Management

be more clear about direction

"I love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed, professional atmosphere; Great work/life balance; My manager has a fantastic, progressive management style.

Cons

My chair is a little uncomfortable. I think it's great that this is my only con. :)

"Fun Job"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees work together. We get free bagels on Fridays. The customers are really nice to work with. This isn't like your typical support team where you are constantly on the phone. Instead you work a lot via email. There are always new challenges and puzzles to solve.

Cons

Management has made great efforts to listen to employees though in the past that was a problem.

Advice to Management

Continue in the direction you are going.

"Heading in wrong direction"

Current Employee - Software Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The free bagels are nice each week. Lower level management seems to genuinely care about their employees. They do activities about once a quarter that keep things fun. Many good people working here make for a decent environment.

Cons

They seem too focused on releasing new products to realize their important products are failing. Customers are growing increasingly frustrated with the release of new products that are not ready for release.

Upper management(VP, CXO, Director) seem to be pretty out of touch with their employees. They think everyone is happy, when it clearly isn't the case. This can be noticed by looking at the review trend on this site, which shows a steady decline over the last 12 months.

Compensation is lacking, and opportunities to increase that compensation are decreasing. They do yearly raises, but they are more of a cost of living type of raise. With only a few options available for advancing through the company, you can hit a ceiling really fast and have no motivation to work hard from that point on. This year the cost of living raises were very small. They really need to start having some type of benefit to being a good employee. Too many employees just coast by, knowing there is no real benefit to working hard and proving your value to the company any more. If you work hard, the only thing you truly get rewarded with is additional work, with no benefit to you whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Focus on your good employees, and make them feel needed/wanted. Stop telling lies to your staff about how great everything is going financially. If we are struggling, we deserve to know how and why, so we can help to correct that downward trajectory. Just telling us everything is great, and then cutting pay and staff doesn't help anything.

Focus on making the products we have great, not just on making more products.

Add an incentive program for being a quality employee that includes merit increases. Having to fight for promotions that offer little extra compensation is unfair. Be more clear on pay scale/raises. I know several people in lower positions making more than I am at a higher position because they either started out at a higher salary, or have been here longer. If someone is a higher level, higher pay should be assumed. There is no reason for a junior level or level 1 employee to make more than a level 2 or 3 employee. If someone is promoted they should be making more money than those at lower levels, because thy have earned it.

"Software Engineer - 4 year mark"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering management genuinely cares about the people that work there. They will give you opportunities to improve if you end up struggling. They also are very good to work with you around family life, illness, etc.

The engineering department is making very serious efforts to modernize and automate to give the developers more time to create and to ensure product quality, something that has been badly needed.

Upward progress has recently been clearly defined and there is a path now for promotions and what the expectations are for advancement.

They are trying very hard to come up with perks to help with retention when funds aren't available for at market rates for engineers. Remote options, very flexible schedules, etc.

Cons

Pay - you'll see this on almost every review. I have lost too many good co-workers due to low pay and it is painful. Engineers working at a level 4 or 5 can leave Sirsi to go to a company across the street, or even to a company in the same parking lot, to work at a level 1 or 2 and make 15k-20k more a year. Sirsi's customer base isn't retail - they have a very limited set of customers, so it is understandable, but retention is horrible because of it.

Tenure based promotions rather than skill based - you can be an absolute rock star but unless you've 'put in your time' you won't get a promotion. This isn't to say they don't reward good efforts, bonuses are a thing, if small, and you can get promoted ahead of schedule in some cases, but it is rare.

Retention - there are some trickle down issues with the retention problems. There aren't enough engineers on staff to make it easy to remove under-performing employees. They do try hard to give struggling employees better opportunities to succeed - they'll move people to different teams if there are personality issues or if someone happens to be better at a different aspect of programming than others (front end vs back end, etc). That is great - but often, poor performing employees stick around for a very long time, then end up with lots of product knowledge that makes them even harder to remove.

Too much vaporware - we still have a tendency to sell products that don't actually exist and then scramble to build it out afterwards. This is very painful for the engineers who would have loved to have had time to build out a solid product that produced the desired result, but often this vaporware is tied into contracts with customers and has a set release date with penalties if not delivered...that almost always ends as you would expect.

The health benefits are really about the worst I've had to deal with in 15 years of employment. Very high deductible plans, next to zero matching contributions for the HSAs that are supposed to help offset the costs. Lots of co-insurance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the work on trying to come up with ways to help with retention and get those pay rates up.

Stop outsourcing - seriously. It is massively demoralizing. The engineer quality has not been worth the constant worry that you'll be replaced for some guy in Argentina we can get on the cheap.

Re-look at the benefits package. Take a long hard look.

6. "Accountant"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, lots of paid vacation time as well as personal days. Pay was decent. I felt like I was treated well and appreciated.

Cons

I saw a lot of RIFs when I was there, which hurt morale.

Advice to Management

Make all of the employees feel valued.

7. "Great starter job."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start a career, lots of opportunities to develop skills.

Cons

limited room for professional growth. Salaries tend to be on the low side.

8. "Steady"

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The working atmosphere is comfortable. I have great respect for my direct supervisor. We have a good customer-base.

Cons

There isn't much room/opportunity for upward mobility.

9. "Good company, low pay , lots of opportunities to try new things"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of friendly people , lots lateral mobility, good break room

Cons

Pay on the low side, lack vertical mobility

Advice to Management

Management is trying its best for the company

"tester for a few years"

Former Employee - Tester
    Former Employee - Tester

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

Good culture

Happy people. Developers were friendly and helpful. Made me feel like I was part of a good team always

Fun activities (And lots of them)

Cons

Pay isn't competitive

I did not enjoy my time working as a tester
    The QA managers were extremely unhelpful. Very poor leadership
    The advancement was slow to none with no conversation on why or what could be improved on. Basically very poor communication skills
    The other testers I worked with were arrogant yet unskilled. I knew I did not want to stay as a lifer at Sirsi and become like them. But the skills gained at Sirsi helped me with my current job. I had to learn these skills myself as no training was provided by the QA department. More people should have spoken up about the issues in QA but I wish Sirsi luck with this in the future

A lot of scrum masters were too inexperienced (they are working on this)

I agree with the other reviews on:
    health insurance was too high

Advice to Management

Management outside of QA did a great job, no complaints there
    When I bought up issues, it was always resolved (almost instantly). Even though I did not get my way every time, I was just glad someone listened and followed up