SirsiDynix Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relaxed, professional atmosphere; Great work/life balance; My manager has a fantastic, progressive management style (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible work environment with growth opportunity (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • High deductible health insurance , but SD does match HSA contributions (in 7 reviews)

• Health Insurance is High Deductible/HSA (in 5 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Customer Relations in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Relations in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great People to work with, who care about the library Industry and have long tenure in the library industry.
    Supportive owners who know how valuable it is to retain and keep happy customers
    Leadership who knows about the library industry.

Cons

High deductible Insurance Policy but offset with HSA.
    Bring back per diem to the travel policy

Advice to Management

I feel as though I can give my advice anytime to management so I don't need to do it through a website.

"Great Company!"

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

Understanding staff, great hours, busy work but not overloaded, great pay and benefits, wonderful managers and co-workers, great work environment.

Cons

None that I can think of...

3. "VP"

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

Helping libraries is a noble cause

Cons

Private equity backed. This means they continually reusuce r&d spend. A tech company who reduces r&d spend each year won’t be a tech company much longer

Advice to Management

Scrap the messaging. Fix the products you have and build something that is actually modern and cool for the future

4. "Good People, Development Pace Frustrating"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are truly some fantastic people at SirsiDynix. My experience with management has been great as well.

Cons

Development pace can be frustrating and compensation is far behind similar companies in this industry.

5. "Great job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements
    Great mission and vision
    Good executive team

Cons

Insufficient investment in new development

6. "Marketing Associate"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment with growth opportunity

Cons

Owned by Private equity which added complication to decision making

Advice to Management

be more clear about direction

"Fun Job"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees work together. We get free bagels on Fridays. The customers are really nice to work with. This isn't like your typical support team where you are constantly on the phone. Instead you work a lot via email. There are always new challenges and puzzles to solve.

Cons

Management has made great efforts to listen to employees though in the past that was a problem.

Advice to Management

Continue in the direction you are going.

"I love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed, professional atmosphere; Great work/life balance; My manager has a fantastic, progressive management style.

Cons

My chair is a little uncomfortable. I think it's great that this is my only con. :)

"Heading in wrong direction"

Current Employee - Software Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The free bagels are nice each week. Lower level management seems to genuinely care about their employees. They do activities about once a quarter that keep things fun. Many good people working here make for a decent environment.

Cons

They seem too focused on releasing new products to realize their important products are failing. Customers are growing increasingly frustrated with the release of new products that are not ready for release.

Upper management(VP, CXO, Director) seem to be pretty out of touch with their employees. They think everyone is happy, when it clearly isn't the case. This can be noticed by looking at the review trend on this site, which shows a steady decline over the last 12 months.

Compensation is lacking, and opportunities to increase that compensation are decreasing. They do yearly raises, but they are more of a cost of living type of raise. With only a few options available for advancing through the company, you can hit a ceiling really fast and have no motivation to work hard from that point on. This year the cost of living raises were very small. They really need to start having some type of benefit to being a good employee. Too many employees just coast by, knowing there is no real benefit to working hard and proving your value to the company any more. If you work hard, the only thing you truly get rewarded with is additional work, with no benefit to you whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Focus on your good employees, and make them feel needed/wanted. Stop telling lies to your staff about how great everything is going financially. If we are struggling, we deserve to know how and why, so we can help to correct that downward trajectory. Just telling us everything is great, and then cutting pay and staff doesn't help anything.

Focus on making the products we have great, not just on making more products.

Add an incentive program for being a quality employee that includes merit increases. Having to fight for promotions that offer little extra compensation is unfair. Be more clear on pay scale/raises. I know several people in lower positions making more than I am at a higher position because they either started out at a higher salary, or have been here longer. If someone is a higher level, higher pay should be assumed. There is no reason for a junior level or level 1 employee to make more than a level 2 or 3 employee. If someone is promoted they should be making more money than those at lower levels, because thy have earned it.

"Software Engineer - 4 year mark"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering management genuinely cares about the people that work there. They will give you opportunities to improve if you end up struggling. They also are very good to work with you around family life, illness, etc.

The engineering department is making very serious efforts to modernize and automate to give the developers more time to create and to ensure product quality, something that has been badly needed.

Upward progress has recently been clearly defined and there is a path now for promotions and what the expectations are for advancement.

They are trying very hard to come up with perks to help with retention when funds aren't available for at market rates for engineers. Remote options, very flexible schedules, etc.

Cons

Pay - you'll see this on almost every review. I have lost too many good co-workers due to low pay and it is painful. Engineers working at a level 4 or 5 can leave Sirsi to go to a company across the street, or even to a company in the same parking lot, to work at a level 1 or 2 and make 15k-20k more a year. Sirsi's customer base isn't retail - they have a very limited set of customers, so it is understandable, but retention is horrible because of it.

Tenure based promotions rather than skill based - you can be an absolute rock star but unless you've 'put in your time' you won't get a promotion. This isn't to say they don't reward good efforts, bonuses are a thing, if small, and you can get promoted ahead of schedule in some cases, but it is rare.

Retention - there are some trickle down issues with the retention problems. There aren't enough engineers on staff to make it easy to remove under-performing employees. They do try hard to give struggling employees better opportunities to succeed - they'll move people to different teams if there are personality issues or if someone happens to be better at a different aspect of programming than others (front end vs back end, etc). That is great - but often, poor performing employees stick around for a very long time, then end up with lots of product knowledge that makes them even harder to remove.

Too much vaporware - we still have a tendency to sell products that don't actually exist and then scramble to build it out afterwards. This is very painful for the engineers who would have loved to have had time to build out a solid product that produced the desired result, but often this vaporware is tied into contracts with customers and has a set release date with penalties if not delivered...that almost always ends as you would expect.

The health benefits are really about the worst I've had to deal with in 15 years of employment. Very high deductible plans, next to zero matching contributions for the HSAs that are supposed to help offset the costs. Lots of co-insurance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the work on trying to come up with ways to help with retention and get those pay rates up.

Stop outsourcing - seriously. It is massively demoralizing. The engineer quality has not been worth the constant worry that you'll be replaced for some guy in Argentina we can get on the cheap.

Re-look at the benefits package. Take a long hard look.