SirsiDynix Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relaxed, professional atmosphere; Great work/life balance; My manager has a fantastic, progressive management style (in 11 reviews)

• Flexible work environment with growth opportunity (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The Health Insurance is kind of pricy (in 7 reviews)

• They seem too focused on releasing new products to realize their important products are failing (in 5 reviews)

1. "Lies and more lies"

Current Employee - Sales in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only pro is OK pay but health insurance is on the rise.

Cons

Everyone is told there is opportunity for upward movement. They keep firing people then hire new ones with the same lies, over and over again.

Advice to Management

This product does not sell itself so please treat us with a little respect. Please don't call people asking who wrote a review it is anonymous for a reason!

"Terrible Development Department!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at SirsiDynix (More than 10 years)

Pros

I think SirsiDynix has made EOS International a better place to work. I like Yimees, company fun days, and the ice bucket challenge. These things boost moral and made me feel like more of a team member. I like SirsiDynix's new hires. I have met the CEO of the company. He is the nicest man!

Cons

Unfortunately the cons over shadow the pros. Development has been impossible to work with. They try to segregate themselves from all other departments and sometimes are straight up just rude. I believe everyone in the company is part of a team, not just my department. But it has been a very negative and uncomfortable atmosphere. Helping each other is out of the realm of possibility.

Advice to Management

I think development can rethink what it means to be a team. It is all about the people at work. They make the company. I have heard name calling and experienced the blame game. The scrum masters can be better trained. The position requires people skills so next time hire some people that actually have these skills. I will encourage coworkers to post reviews and update mine if things improve in the future. Thanks for reading my review!

Oct 7, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. As a company, it is absolutely necessary for all of us to work together and be one team, even though some of us are in different offices on opposite... More

"A dinosaur"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people in the Utah facility are extremely pleasant and friendly. The office building is nice. The amenities for employees while at work are above average.

Cons

Horrible benefits. Low salary. Lied about compensation coming in. The products are poorly designed and implemented. Ownership is private equity so their just trying to make the company's bottom line look good for investors.

Advice to Management

I don't know if there's anything that management can do. The equity firm that owns this company holds the purse strings and determines the company's future. Not a great situation for an employee to walk into.

Oct 24, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review. Your compensation comment caught my attention immediately, as it is the goal of my team to never set unrealistic expectations during the recruitment process. Please contact... More

"Heading in wrong direction"

Current Employee - Software Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The free bagels are nice each week. Lower level management seems to genuinely care about their employees. They do activities about once a quarter that keep things fun. Many good people working here make for a decent environment.

Cons

They seem too focused on releasing new products to realize their important products are failing. Customers are growing increasingly frustrated with the release of new products that are not ready for release.

Upper management(VP, CXO, Director) seem to be pretty out of touch with their employees. They think everyone is happy, when it clearly isn't the case. This can be noticed by looking at the review trend on this site, which shows a steady decline over the last 12 months.

Compensation is lacking, and opportunities to increase that compensation are decreasing. They do yearly raises, but they are more of a cost of living type of raise. With only a few options available for advancing through the company, you can hit a ceiling really fast and have no motivation to work hard from that point on. This year the cost of living raises were very small. They really need to start having some type of benefit to being a good employee. Too many employees just coast by, knowing there is no real benefit to working hard and proving your value to the company any more. If you work hard, the only thing you truly get rewarded with is additional work, with no benefit to you whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Focus on your good employees, and make them feel needed/wanted. Stop telling lies to your staff about how great everything is going financially. If we are struggling, we deserve to know how and why, so we can help to correct that downward trajectory. Just telling us everything is great, and then cutting pay and staff doesn't help anything.

Focus on making the products we have great, not just on making more products.

Add an incentive program for being a quality employee that includes merit increases. Having to fight for promotions that offer little extra compensation is unfair. Be more clear on pay scale/raises. I know several people in lower positions making more than I am at a higher position because they either started out at a higher salary, or have been here longer. If someone is a higher level, higher pay should be assumed. There is no reason for a junior level or level 1 employee to make more than a level 2 or 3 employee. If someone is promoted they should be making more money than those at lower levels, because thy have earned it.

"False advertising!"

Current Employee - Senior Management
    Current Employee - Senior Management

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company gets inflated false reviews because they hire individuals with zero experience and they do not know any better. They also pander for good reviews on glassdoor I myself have been requested to get this company a great review because I am a great employee.
    This company seems A very safe bet simply because their customers use government funding to pay for their contract. The reality is the end-user the end customer is really getting a poor product from this company. So so the pro for this company is that it's very fault-tolerant because it's in bed with the government so much. Most of the monies for supporting libraries come from federal and state money. And as a result being integrated and has been in use for many years the library administrator seem hard pressed to change therefore they don't therefore SD continues to provide a terrible product at the customers expense meanwhile increasing prices. So the pro is the customer is ignorant there for the money keeps rolling in.

Cons

This company has been unable to deliver on the vision for product management for at least five years. The reason for this is because it's not been run by software at all the company is being run by finances. They don't make decisions in an innovative way in a product oriented way in and creative engineered heart and passion way. They are confined to small teams doing too many tasks and therefore they fail at all of them they've been trying to implement cloud strategies for at least five years they are incapable of implementing a cloud strategy for the customer. luckily for for SD The customer is not knowledge of enough to know what they don't know. The customer keeps renewing and paying their bill year over year and they just don't realize how poor this product is. The quality alone is embarrassing to me I can literally go break any of their products within minutes just from the user interface.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to turn this into a software company again, figure out how to provide to customers value without charging them more, actually deliver on what you say you will do, actually test your products thoroughly and stop using the customer as a beta site. Every customer is a beta site on every release every time. The company needs to stop running by finance and start becoming a design software and quality company again like it was back when it was in originally owned company. I believe this is possible it requires a leader with the vision that's not just chasing money.

6. "Somethings work, somethings don't"

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, team oriented, work at your own pace.

Cons

Their software has major flaws. Have a hard time keeping Customer Support staffed ending up in a workload that is often times unbearable.

Advice to Management

Hire more people,

7. "Good People, Development Pace Frustrating"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are truly some fantastic people at SirsiDynix. My experience with management has been great as well.

Cons

Development pace can be frustrating and compensation is far behind similar companies in this industry.

"Software Engineer - 4 year mark"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering management genuinely cares about the people that work there. They will give you opportunities to improve if you end up struggling. They also are very good to work with you around family life, illness, etc.

The engineering department is making very serious efforts to modernize and automate to give the developers more time to create and to ensure product quality, something that has been badly needed.

Upward progress has recently been clearly defined and there is a path now for promotions and what the expectations are for advancement.

They are trying very hard to come up with perks to help with retention when funds aren't available for at market rates for engineers. Remote options, very flexible schedules, etc.

Cons

Pay - you'll see this on almost every review. I have lost too many good co-workers due to low pay and it is painful. Engineers working at a level 4 or 5 can leave Sirsi to go to a company across the street, or even to a company in the same parking lot, to work at a level 1 or 2 and make 15k-20k more a year. Sirsi's customer base isn't retail - they have a very limited set of customers, so it is understandable, but retention is horrible because of it.

Tenure based promotions rather than skill based - you can be an absolute rock star but unless you've 'put in your time' you won't get a promotion. This isn't to say they don't reward good efforts, bonuses are a thing, if small, and you can get promoted ahead of schedule in some cases, but it is rare.

Retention - there are some trickle down issues with the retention problems. There aren't enough engineers on staff to make it easy to remove under-performing employees. They do try hard to give struggling employees better opportunities to succeed - they'll move people to different teams if there are personality issues or if someone happens to be better at a different aspect of programming than others (front end vs back end, etc). That is great - but often, poor performing employees stick around for a very long time, then end up with lots of product knowledge that makes them even harder to remove.

Too much vaporware - we still have a tendency to sell products that don't actually exist and then scramble to build it out afterwards. This is very painful for the engineers who would have loved to have had time to build out a solid product that produced the desired result, but often this vaporware is tied into contracts with customers and has a set release date with penalties if not delivered...that almost always ends as you would expect.

The health benefits are really about the worst I've had to deal with in 15 years of employment. Very high deductible plans, next to zero matching contributions for the HSAs that are supposed to help offset the costs. Lots of co-insurance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the work on trying to come up with ways to help with retention and get those pay rates up.

Stop outsourcing - seriously. It is massively demoralizing. The engineer quality has not been worth the constant worry that you'll be replaced for some guy in Argentina we can get on the cheap.

Re-look at the benefits package. Take a long hard look.

"7th best midsized company in the US? Really?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- People you work with are great. Average work/life balance - at best.

- Ping pong/pool table/foosball in break room - fairly common for tech company.

- Food can be had - for a price - on site.

- Hiring a lot of new people, and long standing company (30 years in business)

Cons

- 4 CEOs in the last 4 years. 4 HR managers in the last 4 years. Meddling middle managers.

- No career path at all. Overly tedious/ nonsensical "mandatory" trainings.

- Insurance package is horrible. Not enough bad thing I can say about the insurance offered here.

- Fractured company policies and hierarchy. Vast separation between staff of varying levels.

- Ridiculously antiquated code. Refuse to move to newer coding standards.

- Never end of life a product.

Advice to Management

- Actually take employee feedback into account - you ask for it.

- Create a career path.

- Promote "grow from within" mentality.

- Stop talking like you are 25 years old, just to say cool.

Mar 27, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. It’s unfortunate that your experience has been very atypical of most of our employees. As you can see from the plethora of other great reviews, most employees have an... More

"College and Experience mean nothing."

Current Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Applications Support Specialist in Provo, UT

Pros

SirsiDynix has a friendly atmosphere where most of the employees are happy to be there earning a paycheck. SirsiDynix for the most part puts employee's quality of life first and does well with moving personnel around to fit customer's needs.

Cons

There is a sharp learning curve at SirsiDynix after they laid off just about all of their senior personnel. Only a few people are left at SirsiDynix who really know the software and can fully support it. The turnover at SirsiDynix is also very high - there are new employees at the support level nearly every quarter. Supporting customers is left up to a developing solutions database that only helps for about 50% of the cases that come in. SirsiDynix is also a place to work if you're comfortable with sitting at a desk and phone for your career and not advance upwards. The selections for promotions are purely based off metrics of case closures and customer satisfaction and not education and experience. Essentially, if you have a degree, in about a year you can look forward to making the same amount of money as someone who is right out of high school and with no higher education.

Advice to Management

Put some thought into the promotions process and offer a higher incentive to succeed. Review employee history and experience in their resume to offer a more reasonable promotion incentive before people start leaving the company!