SirsiDynix Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SirsiDynix CEO Bill Davison
Bill Davison

Pros
  • The work environment fosters growth and opportunity as the teams work together to accomplish their goals (in 11 reviews)

• They have an excellent break room (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The Health Insurance is kind of pricy (in 7 reviews)

• Health Insurance is High Deductible/HSA (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We always have fun activities and monthly auctions using points that other people give you as a thank you. The support center is not a call center.

Cons

They don't always very jalapeño smear on free bagel day.

Advice to Management

Take better care of the support department. We are treated really well but we need a few more people.

Sep 13, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your feedback. I'll see what we can do about the jalapeño smear! It sounds like you are in Customer Support, so let me know if you are on the EMEA or APAC team. And thank you for your ... More

"Software Engineer - 4 year mark"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering management genuinely cares about the people that work there. They will give you opportunities to improve if you end up struggling. They also are very good to work with you around family life, illness, etc.

The engineering department is making very serious efforts to modernize and automate to give the developers more time to create and to ensure product quality, something that has been badly needed.

Upward progress has recently been clearly defined and there is a path now for promotions and what the expectations are for advancement.

They are trying very hard to come up with perks to help with retention when funds aren't available for at market rates for engineers. Remote options, very flexible schedules, etc.

Cons

Pay - you'll see this on almost every review. I have lost too many good co-workers due to low pay and it is painful. Engineers working at a level 4 or 5 can leave Sirsi to go to a company across the street, or even to a company in the same parking lot, to work at a level 1 or 2 and make 15k-20k more a year. Sirsi's customer base isn't retail - they have a very limited set of customers, so it is understandable, but retention is horrible because of it.

Tenure based promotions rather than skill based - you can be an absolute rock star but unless you've 'put in your time' you won't get a promotion. This isn't to say they don't reward good efforts, bonuses are a thing, if small, and you can get promoted ahead of schedule in some cases, but it is rare.

Retention - there are some trickle down issues with the retention problems. There aren't enough engineers on staff to make it easy to remove under-performing employees. They do try hard to give struggling employees better opportunities to succeed - they'll move people to different teams if there are personality issues or if someone happens to be better at a different aspect of programming than others (front end vs back end, etc). That is great - but often, poor performing employees stick around for a very long time, then end up with lots of product knowledge that makes them even harder to remove.

Too much vaporware - we still have a tendency to sell products that don't actually exist and then scramble to build it out afterwards. This is very painful for the engineers who would have loved to have had time to build out a solid product that produced the desired result, but often this vaporware is tied into contracts with customers and has a set release date with penalties if not delivered...that almost always ends as you would expect.

The health benefits are really about the worst I've had to deal with in 15 years of employment. Very high deductible plans, next to zero matching contributions for the HSAs that are supposed to help offset the costs. Lots of co-insurance.

Advice to Management

Keep up the work on trying to come up with ways to help with retention and get those pay rates up.

Stop outsourcing - seriously. It is massively demoralizing. The engineer quality has not been worth the constant worry that you'll be replaced for some guy in Argentina we can get on the cheap.

Re-look at the benefits package. Take a long hard look.

3. "Steady"

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The working atmosphere is comfortable. I have great respect for my direct supervisor. We have a good customer-base.

Cons

There isn't much room/opportunity for upward mobility.

4. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of flexibility with schedule, easy to change departments, lots of fun activities (really, really good activities). Management are easy-going and approachable.

Cons

Pay isn't competitive with other local software companies, company is bought and sold every few years which can lead to various problems.

Advice to Management

Try to be more aggressive with salaries to retain talent.

5. "Very Happy to be Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a current employee of SirsiDynix for a few years, I feel very fortunate to be part of this middle-size software organization. Working in the library sector is rewarding as you are helping communities and organizations who are in the business of helping their patrons research, locate, and gain physical and electronic access to the wealth of information available today. SirsiDynix has created a very enjoyable working atmosphere where employees have the tools they need to effectively perform, freedom to make their own decisions in their work, and flexibility with work schedules and working locations. I interface with many of the staff and management members and find them to be friendly, happy, family oriented, and very well skilled in their professions. They are a pleasure to work with and I believe I fit in very comfortably among them. When friends and family ask me how my job is going, I tell them I feel very blessed and could not be happier. Seriously!

Cons

Although I believe (and witness) that in this sized organization there are always position growth opportunities, I think some co-workers feel that they may not advance as quickly as they wish. I also think some people are not as patient as me.

Advice to Management

Business is always a challenge, markets are always changing. Keep up the accurate and sensible navigation from the top, while maintaining the friendly, small-organization atmosphere that you have created here.

Dec 12, 2016 – Talent Strategy Manager

Thanks for the review. We're happy to have you! We in HR and Recruiting would love to hear from you if you or someone you work with is interested in discussing growth opportunities. Sometimes it's ... More

6. "SirsiDynix"

Pros

I get to work with good people in an industry that I like.

Cons

They do not do a good job of keeping talent at the company.

Sep 13, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your feedback. Retaining our awesome people is a top concern for those of us in HR, as well as each member of the executive team. We are in a competitive job market and understand that ... More

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Engineering in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are the best thing about this company. Everyone is intelligent, professional and wants to make a difference. The senior management team is great to work with. They seem to really care about the industry as well as the employees. There was a recent promotion of part of the management team to C level titles. Not sure what that was about, but it doesn't seem like it has changed anything. There is a great break room (Club Blue) with free soda and games such as ping pong, darts, pool, X-Box, pool, etc...

Cons

The library industry is very competitive. Your software must stand out above the rest of the software companies. Sometimes it feels like we try to bite off more than we can chew when creating new products. We are sometimes off on the next one before making the current one the best it can be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Continue to remember that your most important asset are the employees.

Jun 3, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your comments! It's great to hear that you are having such a positive experience. Please contact any member of HR or feel free to utilize the intranet suggestion box if you ever have ideas ... More

"Opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SirsiDynix has always been a company that will accommodate the employee as much as they can (without hurting the company).

I feel like my concerns as an employee are addressed and often considered as improvements are made.

The work environment fosters growth and opportunity as the teams work together to accomplish their goals.

Cons

When SirsiDynix moved to the Lehi Office, they were just one of a handful of buildings in the area. It is getting extremely busy in this area, and the traffic can be frustrating.

Apr 26, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear that you feel heard by your management team and that you've observed and experienced growth and opportunity. And I think we are all hoping a solution ... More

"Best colleagues in the industry"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have seen over the past few years a renewed commitment to customer satisfaction. Especially for our Horizon customer base. The people I work with are dedicated at producing the best products and providing legendary customer service. Time and time again I see my colleagues work above and beyond to help libraries. The Executive Team understands the needs of the library industry. I Hope to be with SirsiDynix for many years to come.

Cons

High deductible health insurance , but SD does match HSA contributions.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the leadership for us and the ILS industry

Mar 10, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback, and for your valuable contributions to our Customer Support team. There's no doubt that our customer support analysts and engineers are the best in our industry (and ... More

"Billing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people have the most amazing, sincere attitude that you feel like you are with your family and friends.

Cons

Only 1 Ping-Pong table? well, I can't complain about that now can I? especially when they encourage you to work hard and also play hard.

Advice to Management

Please, please, keep doing what your doing, it is obvious that you care about your co-workers and have a deep desire for the company and the customers' well-being.

Apr 8, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to hear that you are having such an awesome experience.