SirsiDynix Reviews | Glassdoor

SirsiDynix Reviews

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The work environment fosters growth and opportunity as the teams work together to accomplish their goals (in 11 reviews)

• They have an excellent break room (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The Health Insurance is kind of pricy (in 7 reviews)

• Product development just recently hired additional developers so is just now making progress on delivering new products (in 4 reviews)

"Only a good company to begin the journey with"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

If you have no experience with software development this is a decent company to start out with but as you grow as an engineer, product owner,etc. the salary raises are not competitive enough to stay.

I would say that promotions are the easiest to get here. Honestly you just have to be friendly towards your manager. Nothing else is required. Managers have too much on their plates and are easily fooled by the people who appear to work hard. I did my part on my team but would notice that it did not carry more weight when i worked harder verses when I took it easy. Either way a promotion was around the corner.

Cons

Compensation is low, health insurance costs are high. Managers favor certain workers over others without realizing it.

Release cycles were complex, unnecessarily complex due to testing not extensive enough. This was mentioned in other reviews so I guess I am not alone on this opinion. Seems like software patching was always necessary. Even with patching software there seemed to have high levels of high priority production issues for most products. Too many late nights. This effects both the engineers and saas and is very preventable.

People leaving the company. An issue since the beginning for me. I believe this is something to just get used to.

Many people at the company were pretentious. One of the reasons why I left. I would rather focus on software issues than people issues.

Advice to Management

There are people who work really hard for the company who go unnoticed. Please focus on your loyal employees before they decide to depart.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Engineering in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are the best thing about this company. Everyone is intelligent, professional and wants to make a difference. The senior management team is great to work with. They seem to really care about the industry as well as the employees. There was a recent promotion of part of the management team to C level titles. Not sure what that was about, but it doesn't seem like it has changed anything. There is a great break room (Club Blue) with free soda and games such as ping pong, darts, pool, X-Box, pool, etc...

Cons

The library industry is very competitive. Your software must stand out above the rest of the software companies. Sometimes it feels like we try to bite off more than we can chew when creating new products. We are sometimes off on the next one before making the current one the best it can be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Continue to remember that your most important asset are the employees.

Jun 3, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your comments! It's great to hear that you are having such a positive experience. Please contact any member of HR or feel free to utilize the intranet suggestion box if you ever have ideas ... More

"Support Engineer"

Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, Fun, Professional

Cons

Did not pay the best

Jun 1, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We wish you the best!

"Opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Sales in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SirsiDynix has always been a company that will accommodate the employee as much as they can (without hurting the company).

I feel like my concerns as an employee are addressed and often considered as improvements are made.

The work environment fosters growth and opportunity as the teams work together to accomplish their goals.

Cons

When SirsiDynix moved to the Lehi Office, they were just one of a handful of buildings in the area. It is getting extremely busy in this area, and the traffic can be frustrating.

Apr 26, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your feedback. It's great to hear that you feel heard by your management team and that you've observed and experienced growth and opportunity. And I think we are all hoping a solution ... More

"SirsiDynix Early 2016"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

Although the company has faced plenty of challenges, they are always pushing to get better.

SirsiDynix's campus is beautiful.

Company events.

Cons

Has a very high turnover rate. It seems like more than half the company is new within the past few years. This has been very disruptive. Especially with having new product managers too frequently.

Too much incorrect product knowledge is being passed around. This is very harmful.

Automation is still not standard. The company shows little progress in this area.

The scrum masters position is non-technical. This was something I could not get used to. It made passing information across teams very difficult. It was just easier to go communicate with other team's engineers directly.

Testers are too dependent on engineers. The constant desk visits were not something I enjoyed.

I don't believe the products were thoroughly tested. This was something I had little control over that bothered me during my entire run.

Advice to Management

Overall management does an OK job. However following the concept of a self-organizing very closely isn't necessarily going to generate the best outcome for SirsiDynix.

Sep 13, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

I have to say that I sincerely appreciate the mention of the company events. It’s not always obvious how much work the members of our HR team put into making these successful. On to the cons… I ... More

"Best colleagues in the industry"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have seen over the past few years a renewed commitment to customer satisfaction. Especially for our Horizon customer base. The people I work with are dedicated at producing the best products and providing legendary customer service. Time and time again I see my colleagues work above and beyond to help libraries. The Executive Team understands the needs of the library industry. I Hope to be with SirsiDynix for many years to come.

Cons

High deductible health insurance , but SD does match HSA contributions.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the leadership for us and the ILS industry

Mar 10, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback, and for your valuable contributions to our Customer Support team. There's no doubt that our customer support analysts and engineers are the best in our industry (and ... More

"Billing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people have the most amazing, sincere attitude that you feel like you are with your family and friends.

Cons

Only 1 Ping-Pong table? well, I can't complain about that now can I? especially when they encourage you to work hard and also play hard.

Advice to Management

Please, please, keep doing what your doing, it is obvious that you care about your co-workers and have a deep desire for the company and the customers' well-being.

Apr 8, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to hear that you are having such an awesome experience.

9. "Great and not great at the same time."

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for libraries is cool. I really liked the idea of what I was working on, and I wanted so badly to make a different for the better in the industry with my work there. Great coworkers while they were with the company. If I could take the HR team and Mike Russel with me to every company I work for in the future I would be happy. HR is amazing, pantry was great, very relaxed (late mornings, early out, long lunch).

Cons

3 managers in the span of a year. Feedback given at performance review was from previous manager, six months ago, with no effort made to investigate improvements since. Hired with "promises" of raises or upward movement. Lots of great people departing.

Advice to Management

Please learn how to talk to people. Maybe hire someone who can manage people to be a manager in the IT department.

Mar 10, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the feedback. During 2013 and 2014, we experienced a lot of growth and change, in terms of both product direction and investment in the Product Development division. This created ... More

10. "Outstanding company with visionary leadership team"

Current Employee - Process Improvement Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Improvement Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working at SirsiDynix -- the executive team gets development and what the library industry needs to remain relevant in their community. The culture within Engineering is very supportive to my professional development and what I need in my personal life. I feel like I am listened to and have influence on the decisions around me.

Cons

Just like any other software development company, this is a fast paced company. If you expect an office that sits on its butt as the market passes it by, you should move on to another company.

Advice to Management

The management team wants to meet the needs of the market and the company. The level of visibility into the strategic direction of the company is helpful and should continue.

Apr 1, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the review, and for your contributions to our software development efforts.

"Best Coworkers Ever!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Considerate, professional employees; comfortable atmosphere; Zen room; Reading Room; innovative development; helping libraries!

Cons

Overwhelming amount of information to learn (training resources are optimal; it's just a LOT to take in at first).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work because you're obviously doing something right!

Mar 10, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your comments!