SirsiDynix Reviews | Glassdoor

SirsiDynix Reviews

Updated January 25, 2017

Current Employees

Pros
  • A great work/life balance, opportunities for growth for those new to software/business, great culture (in 10 reviews)

• The work environment fosters growth and opportunity as the teams work together to accomplish their goals (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The Health Insurance is kind of pricy (in 6 reviews)

• Product development just recently hired additional developers so is just now making progress on delivering new products (in 4 reviews)

1. "Outstanding company with visionary leadership team"

Current Employee - Process Improvement Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Improvement Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working at SirsiDynix -- the executive team gets development and what the library industry needs to remain relevant in their community. The culture within Engineering is very supportive to my professional development and what I need in my personal life. I feel like I am listened to and have influence on the decisions around me.

Cons

Just like any other software development company, this is a fast paced company. If you expect an office that sits on its butt as the market passes it by, you should move on to another company.

Advice to Management

The management team wants to meet the needs of the market and the company. The level of visibility into the strategic direction of the company is helpful and should continue.

Apr 1, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the review, and for your contributions to our software development efforts.

"Best Coworkers Ever!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Considerate, professional employees; comfortable atmosphere; Zen room; Reading Room; innovative development; helping libraries!

Cons

Overwhelming amount of information to learn (training resources are optimal; it's just a LOT to take in at first).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work because you're obviously doing something right!

Mar 10, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your comments!

3. "Pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix (More than a year)

Pros

You can work whenever you want or just play hearthstone all day. They have an excellent break room. They have tournaments and clubs. Mike Russell will do you right. Almost everyone is nice.

Cons

Upper management isn't aware of what development is doing
    They jump from new idea to new idea without committing resources
    The pay

Advice to Management

Do whatever you want. I'm only writing this because I have a twenty word minimum.

Apr 1, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your comments. Of course we know you, one of our hardworking software engineers, is not playing Hearthstone all day. It is a laid-back environment, provided the necessary work is done ... More

5. "Excellent Company"

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

The people are amazing. The products are cutting edge. Plus... we are helping libraries.

Cons

For my specific position, the workload fluctuates greatly, and there is no way to predict when things will be busier or calmer.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you've been doing.

Mar 10, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the review. I hope your workload stabilizes - if not, at least it'll keep you on your toes!

6. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix (More than 5 years)

Pros

it's an awesome place to work , dedicated people and very flexible

Cons

at this point no cons , the company can always do better but no real cons

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

Mar 10, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the review. We are always looking for ways to do better, so please don't hesitate to make suggestions!

7. "A great company doing great things for the library industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SirsiDynix is honest, fair, and constantly looking for ways to improve in the eyes of both customers and employees. I have worked at SD for more than 4 years and the growth I have seen is phenomenal. Interdepartmental communication has boomed, as well as communication with our customer base in the form of feedback to enhance our product offering. The result is a product that simply cannot be compared to any of our competition and customers that are happy to be working with us. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of improvements still to be made to truly incorporate the best technology out there. But at the end of the day it's clear that SD is looking to be the BEST there is... not just the best in the library industry (which is frankly pretty poor in a lot of ways).

There is lots of potential for moving up, since the library industry is small and experience in the industry carries a lot of weight. Lots of chances to try new things and to grow into bigger and better positions.

Management listens to all employees and takes advice/new ideas seriously. Time and time again I've had the opportunity to spin off into uncharted waters to try something I thought would make a difference. Very fulfilling and exciting.

Cons

Not the best pay. They offer a fair wage, but I definitely think my work is worth more than they are paying me. For this reason good people keep getting drawn away into better paying positions. Actually lots of the people who get drawn away end up coming back, another testament to how much employees love it here, but wouldn't it make sense to consider industry experience more seriously and pay to keep good people?

Upper Management is often overbooked, and therefore unavailable for feedback during crucial projects. It seems like one or two of them are stretched too thin, and therefore hold their teams back.

Advice to Management

As the number of employees grows shouldn't management grow as well? I've been very impressed with all levels of management at SD, I just wish my team could get feedback on a more consistent basis from upper management.

Apr 1, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the review. You make great points in your Cons comments. It is true that great people get drawn away, but that is a reality for most companies in this area, regardless of how much they ... More

8. "Flexible work environment"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are really flexible and the working environment is great. People are put into a position where they can succeed. There is a great culture among the scrum masters of problem solving.

Cons

Wages are lower and with the market heating up they are having a harder time competing for talent.

Advice to Management

Continue to leverage the great things about working at SirsiDynix. The progress of the company has been exciting while I've been there.

Apr 1, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate all you do for your dev teams.

9. "Great People"

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

Great people with lots of great ideas. It's great to see that management is pushing new innovation to keep us relevant and on the top of our customers minds.

Cons

Benefits are good but not great. Can only carry over 5 days of vacation which is frustrating to say the least.

Advice to Management

Work harder to keep good talented people from leaving. Train managers to be better at acknowledging and rewarding good work and to use the incentive programs that are in place.

Mar 10, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. I'm late in responding, but I hope you found it helpful that we increased the time off allotment and added floating holidays for 2016. We are constantly looking for ... More

"False advertising!"

Current Employee - Senior Management
    Current Employee - Senior Management

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company gets inflated false reviews because they hire individuals with zero experience and they do not know any better. They also pander for good reviews on glassdoor I myself have been requested to get this company a great review because I am a great employee.
    This company seems A very safe bet simply because their customers use government funding to pay for their contract. The reality is the end-user the end customer is really getting a poor product from this company. So so the pro for this company is that it's very fault-tolerant because it's in bed with the government so much. Most of the monies for supporting libraries come from federal and state money. And as a result being integrated and has been in use for many years the library administrator seem hard pressed to change therefore they don't therefore SD continues to provide a terrible product at the customers expense meanwhile increasing prices. So the pro is the customer is ignorant there for the money keeps rolling in.

Cons

This company has been unable to deliver on the vision for product management for at least five years. The reason for this is because it's not been run by software at all the company is being run by finances. They don't make decisions in an innovative way in a product oriented way in and creative engineered heart and passion way. They are confined to small teams doing too many tasks and therefore they fail at all of them they've been trying to implement cloud strategies for at least five years they are incapable of implementing a cloud strategy for the customer. luckily for for SD The customer is not knowledge of enough to know what they don't know. The customer keeps renewing and paying their bill year over year and they just don't realize how poor this product is. The quality alone is embarrassing to me I can literally go break any of their products within minutes just from the user interface.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to turn this into a software company again, figure out how to provide to customers value without charging them more, actually deliver on what you say you will do, actually test your products thoroughly and stop using the customer as a beta site. Every customer is a beta site on every release every time. The company needs to stop running by finance and start becoming a design software and quality company again like it was back when it was in originally owned company. I believe this is possible it requires a leader with the vision that's not just chasing money.

11. "Great Leadership"

Current Employee - Executive Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Executive Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Pay, "small big company"

Cons

ownership changes, pay manipulation in some cases