SirsiDynix Reviews | Glassdoor

SirsiDynix Reviews

Updated April 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The work environment fosters growth and opportunity as the teams work together to accomplish their goals (in 11 reviews)

• They have an excellent break room (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The Health Insurance is kind of pricy (in 7 reviews)

• Product development just recently hired additional developers so is just now making progress on delivering new products (in 4 reviews)

"It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at SirsiDynix and learned a lot there. SirsiDynix has a great working atmosphere, as long as you're productive. I found generally as long as I got work done, I could work the schedule I wanted to and could work from home when I needed to. SirsiDynix takes into account what you'd like to do and tries to move employees into those positions. I've seen people go from QA to development, support to QA, Secretary to a number of pretty good roles in the company etc. They really do try to grow the people they need, and the hire and promote from within ethic is pretty strong there. There are a lot of great people at SirsiDynix, and the company is still small enough that you'll probably work with them. We're growing some really good technology, and we generally code to good standards, so you'll learn some good instincts there. The mission is great. Providing services to public libraries is like serving orphans. Everyone loves them and we really do want them to succeed.

Cons

SirsiDynix is experiencing some growing pains so there's a lot of dysfunction between departments right now. Teams report to a lot of managers... at one point the 5 people on my team reported to 3 different managers, which was interesting. We really need to get our build/prodOps in line. We're working on it, but right now it's eating up a lot of time that could be spent on more productive work if we could get it under control. SirsiDynix can be a bit insular, so a lot of the engineers there have very little experience outside of SirsiDynix. At this point SirsiDynix is getting big enough that it seems like it's hard to make your voice heard if you aren't at the executive level. That's too bad as I felt the company ran better when the employee/leadership feedback loop was more intact.

Advice to Management

We need to invest in some outside expertise from time to time. Growing who you need is great in many ways, but especially in our prodOps and automation department we really need to invest in some outside expertise to get a solid foundation built. We need to get our teams working together rather than shooting for individual goals. I think we need to feel we succeed or fail as a department (or even a company if we can manage it), rather than in insular team silos.

Mar 10, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your comments. We are happy that you enjoyed your time and had many great “pros”, but I want to recognize that your "cons" were fair and accurate, and are all things that our Software ... More

2. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix (More than 5 years)

Pros

it's an awesome place to work , dedicated people and very flexible

Cons

at this point no cons , the company can always do better but no real cons

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing

Mar 10, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the review. We are always looking for ways to do better, so please don't hesitate to make suggestions!

3. "A great company doing great things for the library industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SirsiDynix is honest, fair, and constantly looking for ways to improve in the eyes of both customers and employees. I have worked at SD for more than 4 years and the growth I have seen is phenomenal. Interdepartmental communication has boomed, as well as communication with our customer base in the form of feedback to enhance our product offering. The result is a product that simply cannot be compared to any of our competition and customers that are happy to be working with us. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of improvements still to be made to truly incorporate the best technology out there. But at the end of the day it's clear that SD is looking to be the BEST there is... not just the best in the library industry (which is frankly pretty poor in a lot of ways).

There is lots of potential for moving up, since the library industry is small and experience in the industry carries a lot of weight. Lots of chances to try new things and to grow into bigger and better positions.

Management listens to all employees and takes advice/new ideas seriously. Time and time again I've had the opportunity to spin off into uncharted waters to try something I thought would make a difference. Very fulfilling and exciting.

Cons

Not the best pay. They offer a fair wage, but I definitely think my work is worth more than they are paying me. For this reason good people keep getting drawn away into better paying positions. Actually lots of the people who get drawn away end up coming back, another testament to how much employees love it here, but wouldn't it make sense to consider industry experience more seriously and pay to keep good people?

Upper Management is often overbooked, and therefore unavailable for feedback during crucial projects. It seems like one or two of them are stretched too thin, and therefore hold their teams back.

Advice to Management

As the number of employees grows shouldn't management grow as well? I've been very impressed with all levels of management at SD, I just wish my team could get feedback on a more consistent basis from upper management.

Apr 1, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the review. You make great points in your Cons comments. It is true that great people get drawn away, but that is a reality for most companies in this area, regardless of how much they ... More

5. "Flexible work environment"

Current Employee - Scrum Master in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Scrum Master in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are really flexible and the working environment is great. People are put into a position where they can succeed. There is a great culture among the scrum masters of problem solving.

Cons

Wages are lower and with the market heating up they are having a harder time competing for talent.

Advice to Management

Continue to leverage the great things about working at SirsiDynix. The progress of the company has been exciting while I've been there.

Apr 1, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate all you do for your dev teams.

6. "Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time

Pros

Great people with lots of great ideas. It's great to see that management is pushing new innovation to keep us relevant and on the top of our customers minds.

Cons

Benefits are good but not great. Can only carry over 5 days of vacation which is frustrating to say the least.

Advice to Management

Work harder to keep good talented people from leaving. Train managers to be better at acknowledging and rewarding good work and to use the incentive programs that are in place.

Mar 10, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. I'm late in responding, but I hope you found it helpful that we increased the time off allotment and added floating holidays for 2016. We are constantly looking for ... More

7. "Great Leadership"

Current Employee - Executive Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Executive Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, Pay, "small big company"

Cons

ownership changes, pay manipulation in some cases

8. "Loved working at SirsiDynix!"

Former Employee - Associate Marketing Specialist in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Associate Marketing Specialist in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Probably the best feature about SirsiDynix is the atmosphere. The people are so friendly, the bosses are big into employee appreciation, and there are always opportunities for advancement within the company.

Cons

The Health Insurance is kind of pricy. High premiums with high deductibles I would have to say was my only major complaint.

Apr 1, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for your comments. We miss you in Marketing and hope you are doing well!

"Great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great work/life balance, opportunities for growth for those new to software/business, great culture.

Cons

Seems like high turnover at times, would love to see some more career options for folks wanting to get into mid-level management, better communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Keep track of your strong employees and connected with them so they feel they are moving towards their careers goals.

Apr 1, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. Our leaders work hard to ensure there is a great work/life balance and opportunities for growth.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, flexibility, work/life balance, and industry. Working in the library industry finding ways to bridge the gap between technology and printed materials is exciting.

Cons

Turnover of employees seems to be on the rise. Management needs to find out why quality employees are leaving and how to keep them.

Advice to Management

Be proactive in making sure that employees are happy- if they aren't find ways to compromise with them in order to keep them. Having veteran employees, especially in development, will be crucial to the continued success of SirsiDynix.

Apr 1, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the review. Turnover is always a concern - please stop by HR if you have specific ideas or thoughts. We are always looking for new ways to improve the environment and keep our employees ... More

11. "Title"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of experience to be had. There is a great break room, club blue, with a pool table and soda fountain. The people are really fun to work with, it is a younger group with many engineers fresh out of school or still finishing up.

Cons

They take the philosophy of a self organizing team to it logical absurdity. The engineers are the testers, scrum masters, doc writers, product owners, coders, and managers even though there are actual people in all those roles.

Advice to Management

Reduce the amount of time engineering support staff and management spends in meetings so they can focus on their main job responsibilities.