SirsiDynix Reviews | Glassdoor

SirsiDynix Reviews

Updated April 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The work environment fosters growth and opportunity as the teams work together to accomplish their goals (in 11 reviews)

• They have an excellent break room (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The Health Insurance is kind of pricy (in 7 reviews)

• Product development just recently hired additional developers so is just now making progress on delivering new products (in 4 reviews)

"Terrible Development Department!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at SirsiDynix (More than 10 years)

Pros

I think SirsiDynix has made EOS International a better place to work. I like Yimees, company fun days, and the ice bucket challenge. These things boost moral and made me feel like more of a team member. I like SirsiDynix's new hires. I have met the CEO of the company. He is the nicest man!

Cons

Unfortunately the cons over shadow the pros. Development has been impossible to work with. They try to segregate themselves from all other departments and sometimes are straight up just rude. I believe everyone in the company is part of a team, not just my department. But it has been a very negative and uncomfortable atmosphere. Helping each other is out of the realm of possibility.

Advice to Management

I think development can rethink what it means to be a team. It is all about the people at work. They make the company. I have heard name calling and experienced the blame game. The scrum masters can be better trained. The position requires people skills so next time hire some people that actually have these skills. I will encourage coworkers to post reviews and update mine if things improve in the future. Thanks for reading my review!

Oct 7, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. As a company, it is absolutely necessary for all of us to work together and be one team, even though some of us are in different offices on opposite ... More

"A dinosaur"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people in the Utah facility are extremely pleasant and friendly. The office building is nice. The amenities for employees while at work are above average.

Cons

Horrible benefits. Low salary. Lied about compensation coming in. The products are poorly designed and implemented. Ownership is private equity so their just trying to make the company's bottom line look good for investors.

Advice to Management

I don't know if there's anything that management can do. The equity firm that owns this company holds the purse strings and determines the company's future. Not a great situation for an employee to walk into.

Oct 24, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your review. Your compensation comment caught my attention immediately, as it is the goal of my team to never set unrealistic expectations during the recruitment process. Please contact ... More

"Very accommodating to my needs as I do what I can to be a hard worker for the company."

Current Employee - Associate Support Analyst in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Associate Support Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company gives you the opportunity to be trained and coached on skills that you might not have acquired in your career. The atmosphere here is not stressful, but we all work together to be successful.

Cons

Making an industry change cost me as far as pay is concerned. I will be able to learn what I can and then increase the dynamics that will be competitive for my future career.

Advice to Management

Improving training opportunities.

Oct 7, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. If ever you are seeking more opportunities for training and career development, please don't hesitate to contact any member of the HR and Recruiting ... More

"Surround yourself with some of the smartest people on the planet..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of the people I interact with want to innovate and continue to grow in their profession. Management provides significant opportunities for you to grow your skill set by giving you opportunities that will push you. SirsiDynix provides an environment that supports the growth and improvement of their people.

Cons

If you like to just show up to work and collect a paycheck, I would move on and apply somewhere else. If you take professional development seriously and see yourself in roles with continued increases in responsibility over the years, then SirsiDynix is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Bill Davison and his team do an exceptional job at making employees feel valued. Members of the executive management team, including David King, Sheridan Richey, Scott Wheelhouse, Berit Nelson, and Eric Keith, are all approachable and listen to suggestions for improvement.

Oct 7, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking time to write this review!

"Variance."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of great developers at the company. The teammates make it a great place to work. Nice office, good location. Good game room. Increasingly positive outlook. Great opportunities to learn technology and grow skills. A broad range of technologies and skill sets to learn.

Cons

Poor management. Sometimes poor mentoring, training, and career development. Too many management changes. Micro-management problems. Hiring people below average pay (retention/turnover). Recovering from layoffs and losing many senior developers. Old and dirty code bases on some projects.

Advice to Management

Train managers better or hire better; and give them smaller teams so they can be focused and in-tune with team. Hire managers with better technical background and better mentoring/guiding skills. Actively train lead developers on mentoring skills and leadership.

Oct 7, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. We recognize that there are always improvements to be made and we value this type of feedback. It’s not clear how recently you departed SirsiDynix, but for what it’s ... More

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and work environment. Challenging work and great relationships with colleagues make this company great. SiriDynix has a great team.

Cons

Health insurance is slightly high.

Advice to Management

Keep making your employees happy

Oct 24, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review!

8. "Was once a good company, then it sold out."

Former Employee - Tech Writer and Software Test Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Tech Writer and Software Test Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I worked at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

For about 9 years, it was a great company to work for.

Cons

In my ninth year there, the company sold out, and the layoffs commenced. Customers became dissatisfied and the new management micromanaged everybody. In time, the office where I worked laid off all 200+ employees and the office closed entirely.

Advice to Management

I understand that now, where the company still exists in some form that layoffs occur like clockwork. Are you simply hiring people for low pay and then laying them off so that you can hire replacements at low pay? That's the impression I've been given by what I've read. I hope you have stopped micro-managing everything withe the excuse that you are utilizing Agile and scrum techniques.

"7th best midsized company in the US? Really?"

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- People you work with are great. Average work/life balance - at best.

- Ping pong/pool table/foosball in break room - fairly common for tech company.

- Food can be had - for a price - on site.

- Hiring a lot of new people, and long standing company (30 years in business)

Cons

- 4 CEOs in the last 4 years. 4 HR managers in the last 4 years. Meddling middle managers.

- No career path at all. Overly tedious/ nonsensical "mandatory" trainings.

- Insurance package is horrible. Not enough bad thing I can say about the insurance offered here.

- Fractured company policies and hierarchy. Vast separation between staff of varying levels.

- Ridiculously antiquated code. Refuse to move to newer coding standards.

- Never end of life a product.

Advice to Management

- Actually take employee feedback into account - you ask for it.

- Create a career path.

- Promote "grow from within" mentality.

- Stop talking like you are 25 years old, just to say cool.

Mar 27, 2014 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. It’s unfortunate that your experience has been very atypical of most of our employees. As you can see from the plethora of other great reviews, most employees have an ... More

"Fun Ride"

Current Employee - Senior Field Sales Consultant in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Field Sales Consultant in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people with a solid product vision. Bright outlook for new employees. Excellent upper management.

Cons

Too many bridges have been burned by mostly former executives. The company needs a solid finished product delivered soon to hush the naysayers. The competition is unfairly staffed with former employees.

Advice to Management

Keep the product vision going to reach the completion of the product. Get the software out to the market, so you won't have to worry about the competitors. Don't step over the rusty coins to pick up the shiny new penny.

"One of the Best Employers I've Ever Worked For..."

I have been working at SirsiDynix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fantastic work environment, great breakrooms, relaxation rooms, gym in building, fun events and parties.
    - Excellent advancement opportunities
    - Great benefits, 401k w/matching, HSA Matching, Adoption Assistance, etc.
    - Family friendly
    - Willing to take chances on good candidates
    - Wonderful Managers, very professional **see Cons

I seriously love working here, the only reason I put any cons is for full disclosure.

Cons

- Health Insurance is High Deductible/HSA
    - Actual pay is not as high as other companies, however the fringe benefits make this a bit more of a meh than a con
    - Performance Reviews are arbitrary and inconsistent
    - Lack of professional development for employees, advanced training and skills improvement

**Some managers are clueless and lack leadership skills

Advice to Management

As often as we are asked to review our peers and we are reviewed. It would be nice if there were some bottom up reviews of supervisors, managers and department heads.