Sittercity Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Elizabeth Harz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best job I have ever had"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sittercity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers, great work/life balance, and a real opportunity to grow by working on new and interesting things. Agile shop that practices TDD and has a real commitment to writing solid, supportable software. Also working towards being a true polyglot shop, which is exactly what I want. Clear technology plans for the future and some real, demonstrable progress on improving our tech stack in recent months. I am excited about the future as far as technology goes.

Compensation is great, free lunch every Wednesday, and a great culture in the office. I wasn't around during what most of the previous reviews have mentioned...all I see now is a development process that works and generally happy product owners. Wonder if the reason it is better now is because all of these negative, angry people are gone...

Cons

Lack of clear direction from upper management. We hear a lot of talk about how things will go without really seeing those steps. Feels like we back into decisions instead of having a firm direction. Sometimes those decisions are good! But it would be nice to have firm, decisive leadership.

We've also inherited a relatively rough tech stack. It's stable but it needs a lot of love. From what I hear things are a lot better nowadays then two years ago but we have a lot of work to do. I personally like that challenge.

Advice to Management

If you truly believe the grand rhetoric then invest big in the company. We need a bigger staff and we need to take some risks. We hear every few weeks about these great big plans that we are going to pursue but nothing ever really takes shape. Push! You have a great team that is ready to go along for the ride.

2. "Amazing"

Former Employee - Nanny in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Nanny in San Clemente, CA

Pros

Wonderful people, wonderful jobs! fast and easy, it filters through so you can get the right person your looking for!

Cons

YA, that not enough people have joined!

"My experience working for this company has been great. It is a super collaborative, high energy, and innovative."

Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at Sittercity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone has a great attitude and passion for what we are doing. The project I'm working on is exciting, innovative and I love every minute of it. It is also an environment where you are encouraged to learn and explore new ideas and opportunities to make things better. There is unlimited PTO, work from home Fridays, and compensation is great.

Cons

Sometimes things aren't always communicated with everyone in a timely manner, but people are always conscious of and working towards better communication

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome.

"Great technology company!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Yoga, pilates, healthy snacks and free food on Wednesday are great perks but what I really like about Sittercity is the opportunity to work with an amazing group of people committed to build valuable products.

As part of the technology team I've been able to grow my skills while working on very interesting challenges in the child care industry. We have a diverse, energetic and collaborative environment where we respect and trust each other to get things done, we are empowered to explore different technologies and bring new ideas to the table which keeps me engaged and highly motivated. I value the company's support for training and conferences.

I am happy to be part of this company and very excited about the future!

Cons

Continuous change of direction causing projects to be abandoned.

Advice to Management

Analyze initiatives carefully before allocating resources, a few projects have been started and abandoned due to the lack of direction.

5. "I cared for three children for four years."

Former Employee - Nanny in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Nanny in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Sittercity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of working with children is learning to be patient and responsible.

Cons

The only downside nannying is not obtaining legitimate experience for corporate jobs.

"Good Experience"

Former Employee - Nanny in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Nanny in Arlington, VA

I worked at Sittercity part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A chance to set your own scedule also if you love children and have patience , this job doesnt just become a job ,it becomes the something you will love to do.

Cons

Some families will treat you as if youre only the maid or a chef and nothing else.

Advice to Management

If you dont have a clean driving record and possibly CPR and first aid certification , this job almost always requires it.

"Great experience with room for growth"

I have been working at Sittercity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's an exciting time to work for Sittercity, with a new CEO driving growth and reinvigorating company strategy. Elizabeth is leading the charge in focusing our efforts for the next year and beyond, and in her short time here has already made a major positive impact. We work in a team-driven environment with intelligent, ambitious, dedicated coworkers. There are plenty of opportunities for personal career development at Sittercity, and if there's something you want to learn more about, teammates are willing to teach you. Work-life balance is also a huge priority here, with competitive benefits and the ability to work remote when personal or family matters come up.

Cons

None that come to mind.

8. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Consultant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Good career prospects and good pay.

Cons

Limited life-work balance and limited benefits.

9. "awesome atmosphere, great co-workers, recommended to anyone looking for a great place to work"

Pros

team luncheons, competitive pay, pto, work life balance, and able to work remote

Cons

people have some job titles that don't really mean anything

10. "Nanny"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Flexible schedule, building a strong relationship with children and families.

Cons

Occasional behavioral issues, sometimes longer schedule with short notice

Advice to Management

none