Situs Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Houston, TX Area

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Powel

Pros
  • A lot of work, but you learn a lot (in 7 reviews)

• The benefits are excellent and vacation time is more than generous (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Incoming internal risk governance from new senior management may help minimise that issue, although will take time (in 11 reviews)

• Work/Life Balance is out of whack due to some employees not having a life outside of work (in 6 reviews)

1. "Associate"

I worked at Situs full-time

Pros

Good access to industry information

Cons

Workload! Workload! Workload! Sweatshop! Sweatshop! Sweatshop!

Advice to Management

Situs is nothing more than a glorified SWEATSHOP! Director, Vice President, Assistant Vice President, Associate, Analyst. It’s all the same at Situs. Although you may be hired at a senior level the party is over after the first week of employment, when you soon realize that you are doing “grunt” work. Situs has a unique business model because they simply do all the “grunt” work. So unless you want to bump yourselves back 20 years in your career, I suggest you avoid Situs at all cost. Huge disappointment!

"Worst mistake of my life"

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Situs full-time

Pros

You at least get a paycheck on time

Cons

Constant backstabbing, gossiping from management about employees, no training, terrible place to start a career. And stop having current employees write good reviewed to boost your ratings on here.

Advice to Management

Stop gossiping about employees openly, offer more training opportunities, and quit with the backstabbing/covering your end for mistakes. Management needs to change with the times. Not a company that's great for millenials to work because management is unwilling to adapt.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Situs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A pay check.
    Team members were hard working. (They had to be.)

Cons

Senior management was incompetent.
    Backstabbing among fellow employees and especially at the director level.
    It is THE worst place I have ever worked.
    Long hours.
    No instruction.
    Sweat shop.
    Because the company takes service overflow deals and bids at lowest level to competitors, there was tremendous pressure by management to never over bill hours worked. I knew several employees who under marked hours completed on jobs because of this. Talk about an ethical conundrum.

Don't work here. Unemployment is better for your mental health.

Advice to Management

Why bother. They won't listen.

"The Gilded work place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Situs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There were surprisingly some pros working here for a while. I started right after the first major layoff/transition before the company moved into the Galleria office. I was able to participate in several aspects of my field unlike other places that would have been siloed into specialties. At the time the old CEO was proactive and listened to all the departments concerns and addressed them accordingly. The company was becoming more secure & technologically advanced, the new Galleria office was very nice, free snacks were a nice perk, common courtesy was a trait, and it was all around a good place to work. This all changed except for the nice office and free snacks however, leaving just a skin deep appearance of a nice workplace.

Cons

I have never worked for a more sexist and racist company in my life, It's sad to say but it is actually sickening how backwards the management is here. The new CEO is a waste of space, and the other guy up there says cringe worthy things when he thinks no one is listening (especially if you are an attractive woman). Everyone makes the office services guy (Ugandan) do everything under the sun from picking up mail to cleaning up the restrooms to answering phones as a receptionist and can't even pay him a decent wage. Better yet is that when his team member quit they refused to hire another person to help him so he literally has to do everything for the Houston Office by himself. That's just one exploitation, on one occasion one of the legal department's employees equipment was moved from her office to a cube while she was on vacation, when she got back she had no idea what was going on and was then informed she had been demoted. Stuff like this became the norm, the trend seemed to be to let the seasoned/experienced employees that have been there for years go and replace them with cheaper and in most cases less knowledgeable members. For instance, they fired our CIO who kept his team running like a well oiled machine, aced all the audits, kept the network up time to 99%, but unfortunately happened to be a young black guy. Coincidence? Maybe, but before they fired him, they demoted him to IT director and hired the new CIO who was previously an accountant. On his first day he didn't know how to re-orient his screens in windows, he didn't know how group policy worked, wanted to convert our whole company to office 64bit (if you are remotely IT you will know how foolish that is),and legitimately considered placing a portable ac unit (like the ones at Walmart) to cool our servers because a proper ac unit was "too expensive". This is what is left at Situs, a bunch of people who don't know how things work running their teams into the ground. Before leaving this company people were quitting left and right and even more were being let go, the best part is the blame is always on the team members and not on the guys seeming to deliberately tell them to do the wrong thing.

PS: The parking is really fun during the holidays, especially when the security guards leave the gates up so the mall parking can overflow into the employee parking making the 30 minute garage trip even more enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the new CEO, treat the people who have given years to the company with more respect, don't tell employees that raises aren't going to be great because the bonuses are going to be amazing then deliver 50% less than the previous year, and if you are going to generate 4 and 5 star reviews that everyone can tell are fake at least attempt to be creative.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Nice office, free snacks and great benefits

Cons

Raises are horrible at merely one percent and no chance of advancement here. Awful location as its in the Galleria and hard to get in and out.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the new CEO.

"Every day of working at Situs has been the worst day of my life, because every day has been worse than the last."

Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX

I have been working at Situs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Someone legitimately pooped on the wall once. True story,. Situs causes people to go insane.

Also, someone keeps peeing on the bathroom floor and sticking their boogers on the wall. (*this criminal will eventually be caught and brought to justice for their heinous crimes!) It's super disgusting.

If you can make up any excuse as to why you need to leave early or arrive late, it's good enough for Situs. You can snapchat, text, call, facebook, email, take smoke breaks, and sleep as much as you want.

I heard their recent poor financial performance has their biggest investor ready to pull their funding and cut their losses. CR is not a good sector to be in right now. wouldn't be surprised if they go under in the next year, or at the very least expect a lot more layoffs. They did afterall just recently let go half of their most profitable department.

I have never seen so many people quit from a company. They have probably turned over 65% of their positions in the past year alone. I feel like im being generous w that figure too.

Pay is subpar. They dont vest your 401k until 5 yrs bc they know that anyone in their right mind wont stay at Situs that long.

Cons

The job they hired you for? You won't actually do. You will be doing something way more demeaning, like fetching your bosses prints.

The bonus they promised you? You will never receive.

Situs is the most racist company I have worked for. They might as well hang a confederate flag above the door and wear white hoods.

I saw zero leadership in that whole company. probably bc they find a way to promote the worst people possible who are satisfied with mediocre work and are found slacking off the majority of the day.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. Lay off the fried chicken. Wipe that horrible look of dissatisfaction off your face and try being a halfway decent person today.
    Stop writing fake reviews on glassdoor. All of the actual employees can tell it's you.

Jun 29, 2016 – Marketing Operations Manager

Situs strongly encourages diversity in the workplace and embraces all of our employees. We accommodate our workforce to the best of our ability and ensure the most comfortable, welcoming working ... More

"Absolutely Awful"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Houston, TX

I worked at Situs full-time

Pros

Good experience working for various lenders, a handful of good coworker that aren't passive aggressive and vindictive, and free snacks (because you'll rarely ever have the opportunity to have a real lunch) and energy drinks from the pantry (to keep you working longer.)

Fantastic full-time marketing employee who buffers the glassdoor ratings with fake positive reviews.

Cons

This place is only a stepping stone for the young and talented due to the high exposure to various lenders you may work with on a daily basis. Anyone that's good have moved on to better companies, been poached by existing clients, or are currently looking for better opportunities. Those remaining are the people that lack the knowledge, ambition, people skills, integrity, and/or emotional balance to pass a real interview elsewhere.

These are some of the most sadistic, vindictive, and sleezy people you will ever work for/with. The directors of my department were the most clueless people I have ever had the displeasure of knowing. One, you will have to spend countless hours debating how to write a simple sentence (Don't bring up "close proximity"). The other, I called "the bus driver" because you will have to dodge her like the Matrix before she runs you over. Great managers hold themselves accountable for the successes and failures of their team. With these folks, it's always an employee's or client's fault when issues arise, bit they will definitely take all the credit when things are good. Within the first few months of working there, half of the people in the department were fired for trivial things, which were mainly due to the lack of guidance, training, and communication. Then all of the good, hard working employees, who witnessed the pettiness and lack of accountability, started quitting in droves.

I came back here to see if anything has changed. It appears that it has not and never will. This place is, as another reviewer described it, "soul-sucking." Management will talk bad about employees or counterparts in other offices in front of everyone but smile through their teeth in fron of them. I heard one planning a scheme to give a highly complex deal to a new manager in a different office because she didn't know how to do it and she wanted him to fail so that they would fire him. You will always be on edge, looking over your shoulders, expecting to get stabbed in the back as they smile at you and tell you "you're doing a great job!"

You're required to account for every minute of your time. It was a complete sweatshop. People would under record the amount of time they actually put into a deal in fear of giving clients a poor quality product and the repercussions from management for not completing a 30 hour deal in 8 hours. On top of that, regardless of how efficient you are, how much money you brought in, how much overtime you work, or how happy your clients were, you will be given the same bonus amount as the lazy Joe Schmoe who was in the red and leaves at 5pm everyday.

Situs is the abusive spouse in a relationship where you experience repeated cycles of verbal abuse and reconciliation.

Advice to Management

You can't teach these people in management positions integrity, morals, empathy, or leadership (or even Excel). But they, of course, would never fire themselves.

Mar 16, 2016 – Marketing Operations Manager

The company is completely dedicated to providing exceptional service to our clients which requires a strict level of compliance and responsibility. We fully understand that this requires a high level ... More

"Vice President Underwriting"

Former Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX

I worked at Situs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None (seriously). I would say the pay and benefits, but I worked so many hours, the pay wasn't good. I can say that your experience at Situs will make you appreciate all future employers more than you ever thought possible.

Cons

Situs went through staff like Kleenex, hiring and firing aggressively, with little regard to how it affected people's lives and strangely was proud of it! Many were fired during my short time there and for reasons that were ridiculous and more reflective of very bad management. The CEO's obnoxious bragging that Situs has a "sink or swim" mentality with only the greatest surviving is not only false but shortsighted; turnover costs had to be high and many employees only needed clearer instruction on assignments and a little training, but managers had such incredibly poor mgmt skill sets that they did not train, mentor or inspire staff effectively, if at all. Instead of coaching, managers spent A LOT of time openly gossiping about workers behind their backs, blaming workers for everything and not owning their role as poor managers.

Be prepared that you will need to record your time by the minute. I once had a senior manager ask me to do something I had never done before, albeit a simple task, that entailed ordering a report which required that I locate the form (didn't know where it was), fill it out with info that I needed to look up and walk it to a different department. My mistake was that I recorded 15 minutes for the task, as I tended to record my time in 15 minute intervals. I got chewed out by an (always) angry manager who said it should not have taken me more than 5 minutes. This is daily life at Situs. Management is uptight about recorded time on projects. Because my manager was so angry all the time, I tended to record shorter time periods on projects just to keep her appeased.

The most successful companies have happy employees for the most part, and this is a stressed-out miserable place to work. This is my advice: Do not leave a job for Situs and if you are unemployed, keep looking! Situs does not use headhunters (at least not when I worked there) or pay significant relocation packages, so hiring costs (and their investment in you) is kept to a minimum...just in case you don't work out.

The first warning sign is when you see a company always advertising that it needs to fill the same position whether it is underwriters, asset managers, or something else. The company might explain it by saying that it's "growing". Hogwash. The best companies are hard to get on with and have infrequent openings--even the growing ones. The worst companies are always hiring for the same positions because they churn and burn through employees.

I was concerned when I read a number of Glass Door ratings (2 stars at the time I interviewed) and by a former employee who had worked there 8 years earlier, who said there was NO WAY she would work at Situs again for any amount of money. I did not heed the warnings. In my interviews, Situs told me 'that was then, things have changed". Well, unfortunately not all things had changed and I learned that all the nasty Glass Door comments were true.

I would suggest that you read all the worst ratings and see if there is a common theme.

Advice to Management

Management training --by an outside company since I'm not convinced anyone at Situs has these skills.

Feb 8, 2016 – Marketing Operations Manager

We’re sorry to learn about your experience. Situs cares deeply about developing employees and we are highly invested in fostering a welcoming and professional atmosphere that encourages growth ... More

"A sinking ship. Do not get on."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Situs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The review below did give me a nice laugh because it is obvious that it was not written by an employee.

Cons

The company is in the process of outsourcing many positions to Robbins, North Carolina including that of a Managing Director position. You will only make it in this company if you are part of the in-crowd. You are brought in significantly below market and you will be lucky to get a 2% increase after one year.

Advice to Management

Situs managements needs to spend less time posting positive reviews on Glassdoor like the one below, and instead focus on retaining their employees.

"Don't Work Here Unless You Cannot Work Anywhere Else"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Situs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None, none, more none, and then again more no pros

Cons

This company is so disorganized and so bent on hiring people with little to no experience so they can pay as little as possible. If their clients knew how their work was being handled, they would be appalled and would certainly move their business to a much more reputable and well known servicing company. Upper management is so unprofessional and emotional that they fire people that are smarter then themselves so they do not look bad. This company is a joke and will be bust very soon. Don't waste your time or effort in working here as you will truly regret that you left another job the day you walk in the door.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all current upper management or you will see this company in the list of failed companies soon.