Situs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Powel

Pros
  • A lot of work, but you learn a lot (in 7 reviews)

• It is a good place to get your foot in the door for Commercial Real Estate (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is out of whack due to some employees not having a life outside of work (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management was incompetent (in 10 reviews)

1. "Analyst II (Insurance)"

Current Employee - Insurance in Robbins, NC
    Current Employee - Insurance in Robbins, NC

I have been working at Situs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the moment you enter the doors, "family" and positive "culture" is emphasized. The training they initially provide is fun and challenging. You are exposed to a myriad of topics, and form relationships that carry over into the work environment. Soon you learn that the "family" and positive "culture" spoken of is a reality, as this location acts it out with continual work events, and even within its continual training. All encounters with everyone at this location have been positive, professional, and reciprocal. A positive attitude, desire to be challenged to learn, and a desire to engage in challenging and interesting work will allow one to fit well into this environment. My personal opinion is that this location has a very positive future ahead of itself. Management knows the most valuable resource here, the employees. A clear and genuine message is being conveyed properly by management to effectuate very positive change. Employees have many opportunities to participate in solving problems or challenges this location may face. A sense of being able to belong is in the air here, and that message is also getting across. All in all, I would not be surprised if this location became an even more desired place to work in the future. (The above review is based upon being as fair and objective as possible. I have 10+ years in the workforce, many of them at a top management position).

Cons

I am required to write 5 words in this block.

Advice to Management

There is a good balance of focus on employee empowerment and profitability. You have narrowed the divide between leadership/workforce to a very healthy level. I like that you are always trying to find 'better ways' in all aspects of the business. Your methods to communicate your positive message are very well thought out. I see a good amount of emotional intelligence in the leadership; some elements even touching transformational leadership. Keep trying to improve, but I know you will. And that is very good leading by example.

2. "Thank you Situs!"

Current Employee - Associate in Robbins, NC
    Current Employee - Associate in Robbins, NC

I have been working at Situs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Situs provides endless learning and career opportunities. Whether you're someone who is just out of college, or you've been in the working world for a long time, you learn more than you can imagine here. Management truly cares about each and every employee. This is a job where you get just as much out of it as you put in. If you're truly willing to work hard and learn, you'll love this company. The culture has improved greatly over the past couple of years. The benefits are excellent and vacation time is more than generous. Employees are greatly encouraged to use time off. You will not find better benefits or more generous time off policy anywhere else in this area. The Robbins office has been improved greatly by renovations that were completed - the office is beautiful and the environment encourages interaction among all employees. The CEO is excellent and truly cares about the Robbins location and all employees.

Cons

None. This is an excellent company and location.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! The culture has improved greatly, and I look forward to coming to work here. Thanks for all that you do.

3. "VP and loving it"

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Situs full-time

Pros

Management experience, co-worker cohesiveness, job knowledge and training, advancement opportunities

Cons

Overhead cost, questionable budget projections, retroactive hiring process

Advice to Management

Thank you for doing the best that you can. It is amazing.

5. "If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Robbins, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Robbins, NC

I have been working at Situs full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people that work in the Situs Robbins office are wonderful and really focus on creating an outstanding work environment. Situs has incredible benefits (including medical, dental, and vision) and pays over 90% toward benefit premiums for employees and their families. PTO (paid time off) is another fantastic benefit. Employees get 20 paid days off in their first year, which increases to 25 days after five years of employment. I previously worked in an organization where individuals had to be employed for one year before taking any paid time off. In addition, they offer six weeks of maternity leave at full pay. A collaborative, team atmosphere is important to the success of any organization and Situs strives to create this through regularly scheduled social events and by working hard to create and maintain a positive culture.

Cons

The stress I put on myself to have a healthy work/life balance (even though Situs encourages vacation time).

Advice to Management

We are fortunate that Situs seeks to promote from within. It is easy to blame others when personal aspirations of a promotion are not achieved. It is much more difficult to look inside oneself and ask, “In what areas can I improve?”. Continue to provide consistent feedback and goal setting that can help employees reach their potential.

"Good for people who want to learn"

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Situs (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of work, but you learn a lot
    This isn't a job for people who want to work 9-5 and work as little as possible. You will learn a lot about commercial real estate, as the amount of work almost requires you too.

Cons

Workload can get overwhelming

Advice to Management

People that want to work hard will have numerous opportunities available for them.

"Change of Ownership is Bad for Employees"

Former Employee - Analyst II in Robbins, NC
    Former Employee - Analyst II in Robbins, NC

I worked at Situs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and time off are very good. Employer pays 90% of insurance and 20 days off per year in first year plus holidays.

Cons

Some employees are allowed to run over others. Upper management has seemed to lose sight of the importance of treating their employees well. It has become more business oriented and culture has declined due to new ownership.

Advice to Management

Employees should be treated as if they matter and are important to the company. It seems that it is getting easier for upper management to get rid of long term employees. Most long term employees are not paid as well as new hires. Provide more room for advancement and pay increases. Just because Robbins is a small community in a rural area of NC it does not mean that the employees are less valuable than their counterparts in large cities. Pay the employees what they deserve without blaming the reason for the low pay on the location.

"Worse for Your Health than Meth"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst I in Robbins, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst I in Robbins, NC

I worked at Situs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at Situs in Robbins as a Financial Analyst I for two years. The only pros were the ability to come and go as you please (since management didn't keep track of their employees), the PTO, and the benefits. The learning experience would have been great - if it wasn't followed by depression and unrealistic expectations enforced by management.

Cons

The first couple of months were good, but it all went down hill from there. There is very minimum training offered. My first day consisted of reading loan documents with no explanation of what I was reading. The second day? They threw me into a project with about 15 minutes of sitting with someone else (which was often their way of "training"). Their male employees often succeeded much quicker than their female employees (coincidence?), and those coming in with little to no experience received higher wages than those who had committed to the company for years.

Yes, they offer tons of PTO, but it is not encouraged to use it. Employees are often overworked and instead of using mistakes as a coaching opportunity, they use them to belittle you and your work. Management will turn on you and have other employees go behind your back to check your work (the same work they didn't previously train you on) and instead of actually making you aware of those mistakes, they slowly begin to give your project (your baby) to another, undertrained employee.

When offered with opportunities to cross-train and advance skill-set, you can forget it if you're not in their immediate circle. Several times I had reached out to management for cross-training opportunities and several times did I not even generate a response from them.

Speaking of favoritism - it's strong in this place. You'll often see managers taking employees out to lunch, or giving certain employees more leeway than others. I distinctly remember a male employee (who had the same title, job, and project as I, but was newer) having the opportunity to go offsite for a property appraisal. When I had asked for the same - no response.

The benefits are good, when they're accurate. There were a couple of times in which the benefits had changed, based on what employees needed. On year, they covered weight loss surgery for their office manager, the next year - it was gone. The same goes for maternity leave. Before 2016, it was not offered as paid leave, until someone (office manager) became pregnant. That's a little too suspicious, right?

The list literally goes on, but I think you can get the gist of it all. If considering working for this horrid place, please do yourself (and your health) and favor and run away. Unemployment was better than this.

Advice to Management

Stop the favoritism. Everyone should be treated equally and receive equal benefits, opportunities, and fair pay. Stop turning employees on each other and start being more proactive with employees' training.

I guess the easiest route would be to just clear the current managers out and hire actual business professionals who value equality, education, and team work.

9. "IT"

I worked at Situs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck, Before it changed owners, it was a more respectable place to work

Cons

Vice President of Infrastructure & Operations doesn't know how to manage people or processes. He is a complete joke to work for. He will publically stab you in the back even though he told you to do something a certain way and when the CIO complains you get in trouble. Completely ackBasswords.

Advice to Management

Hire people who actually empower employees instead of stabbing them in the back

10. "Employee"

Former Employee - Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Prepare to become a statue at work - as you never get to leave your desk. Long hours, no bonus.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, it's that simple.

"Worst mistake of my life"

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Situs full-time

Pros

You at least get a paycheck on time

Cons

Constant backstabbing, gossiping from management about employees, no training, terrible place to start a career. And stop having current employees write good reviewed to boost your ratings on here.

Advice to Management

Stop gossiping about employees openly, offer more training opportunities, and quit with the backstabbing/covering your end for mistakes. Management needs to change with the times. Not a company that's great for millenials to work because management is unwilling to adapt.