Six Flags Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Six Flags President and CEO John Duffey
John Duffey

Pros
  • Visit the park for free and also bring a friend with you (in 65 reviews)

• Good and free admission to park (in 114 reviews)

Cons
  • breaks are short , long hours in hot sun (in 110 reviews)

• Not the best pay but it is still above minimum wage (in 81 reviews)

1. "Small Department"

Current Employee - Management Information Systems Supervisor in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Management Information Systems Supervisor in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Individual work, good pay, work closely with management and employees from corporate center.

Cons

Too many problems, too little people, simple jobs that can be fixed in less than an hour are overlooked for the larger problems leading to days of backlogged work.

Advice to Management

Add one or two more employees to the department and allow us to freely solve problems instead of solely and only focusing on high-priority issues.

Apr 13, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you that you are happy with the competitive wages we offer our employees. Your feedback is important to us and we would like you to know that it has ... More

2. "Ride Operator"

Current Employee - Ride Operator in Waukegan, IL
    Current Employee - Ride Operator in Waukegan, IL

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, exciting all the time, and new skill development. Depending on your home unit/team, the level of "fun" varies.

Cons

Poor training given, poor communication within team, salary should very from unit to unit. For example, the unit "Winners Circle Go Karts" should have a higher base rate due to the amount of work, danger, and thought processing needed to operate the ride successfully than a unit like "kidzopolis" where the unit won't put you in danger due to others actions.

3. "Good Intro"

Current Contractor - Stage Technician in San Antonio, TX
    Current Contractor - Stage Technician in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Six Flags as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to start getting work experience

Cons

Not a place where careers flourish.

Advice to Management

Many of the actors and actresses feel underappreciated.

5. "Sorta disorganized, but very fun!"

Current Employee - Ride Host in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Ride Host in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Countless benefits. Pay is great, free admission for you and a friend, discounted food, free parking, and you get to work in a theme park. Employees have many privileges you may not know about.
    -Bosses, supervisors, leads, auditors, everyone above you in any way is very nice and not condescending.
    -They actually listen to you. Surveys are frequently taken to see how to make working there better.

Cons

-I cannot stress this enough, guests never listen. Ever. Prepare for the absolute worst people you will ever meet, and you're getting paid to be nice to them while they are ruining your day.
    -The uniform is god-awful. Cheap material, poor fitting on anyone who wears it, but it's mandatory.
    -You're on your feet all day. It may seem obvious but I never realized how much pain my feet would be in all day.
    -They work you like dogs. You're shipped around nonstop to different places and rides in the hot sun (and messily too, my supervisor has never once had a clear plan of scheduling).
    -You have to clock out for meals. This is a minor issue, and the only reason I bring it up is because all my other jobs I've had never made me do that.
    -They say drinks are free. They are not free. They are free with a purchase from the cafe. Again, minor problem, but I couldn't help but feel lied to.

Advice to Management

-Fix the uniform. I'm absolutely begging you. Everyone is lumpy and miserable.
    -Maybe better conditions for standing all day in the sun and running around checking restraints? I have a pitiful fan and that's it.

Mar 21, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your detailed review. As a company, we strive to offer our employees with competitive wages and benefits, so we are glad to hear that you enjoy them. We are sorry to hear of some of the ... More

"Working at Six Flags"

Current Employee - Retail- Team Member in San Fernando, CA
    Current Employee - Retail- Team Member in San Fernando, CA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

•amazing employees
    •equal opportunities
    •it's a really great and easy place to grow in a social environment
    •gain excellent people skills
    I'm in the retail section, so it's a great way for me to gain retail experience for other jobs.
    Six flags is a pretty well known chain of theme parks and you meet people from many different ethnic backgrounds.
    It's a pretty fun place to be at.
    Leads and supervisors are generally around a youthful age range. For instance mine are around their twenties which coincides with mine. It's easy to get along with them and build a fruitful relationship.

Cons

Hours are scarce. As of now, for March, I'm probably only working eighteen hours out of the whole month.
    Depending on where you're placed, you get some ignorant teammates.
    Sometimes you have to handles with the stress of guest complaints. Even though it isn't your fault, they still yell and are sometimes rude to you.

Advice to Management

Not much advice. It's all going pretty well.

Mar 10, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoy being a part of all the exciting things that take place at Six Flags! We highly recommend open communication with your direct ... More

"It was okay for a first job."

Current Employee - Employee Satellite Office in Agawam, MA
    Current Employee - Employee Satellite Office in Agawam, MA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many co-workers. Fun atmosphere most of the time. Human Resources is a decent department, and a harder to get job, but other jobs in park or behind the scenes are easy to get.

Cons

Minimum pay. Minimum rewards for working hard. People get hired and fired constantly. Employees do not feel valued.

Advice to Management

Let your employees feel comfortable in their position. I felt like there were eyes on the back of my head every second of working, which was very uncomfortable and discouraging. Work on positive reinforcement. I was always reprimanded for mistakes, but never positively told how to do better next time.

Mar 10, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate what our employees have to say about us and we would like you to know that your advice to management has been heard.

8. "Great for Leadership and Teamwork"

Current Employee - Seasonal Ride Operator/Attendant in Austell, GA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Ride Operator/Attendant in Austell, GA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Constantly positive, motivation and team skills, there's lot of adrenaline working here, and it helped me lose weight.
    Even if you have a bad day, your team is there to be your friends. Ya'll basically grow to be friends.

Cons

Fake persona, distance, high demands, and anxiety of failure that leads to death.
    If you fail, you could either hurt yourself or a guest and it could lead to death. Even if the guest is throwing terrible slurs at you, you still have to be friendly. The park is kind of in the middle of no where so it's really far out. They demand your work schedule and you can't really have any wiggle room with it.

Advice to Management

Go easy on some of the younger trainees.

9. "Good starter job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Six Flags part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working at Six Flags as a teenager, and worked my way up into management as an adult. It's not something I would have continued doing the rest of my life had I been able to, but I'm thankful that it gave me tons of great experience on my resume- how many young adults can say they were supervisors? The opportunity to advance and be promoted is there if you're willing to work for it. The people I worked with were fantastic and we really were a family. As far as school went, they were great about working with my schedule and understood why it was important to me- there's also a Six Flags Scholarship you can apply for if you're in school. Also, you get an employee discount at the shops/restaurants, and you get free attendance for yourself and a friend, along with free/discounted tickets.

Cons

Look, it's a theme park. You're going to have angry people, you're going to have crowds, you're going to be hot and sweaty- and don't think that just because you're working something like Retail or Food service that you'll be able to circumvent being outside. Favoritism is rampant, depending on which department you're in. Also, while they've raised the wages a little (mostly depending on your department) like most jobs, you're not going to be paid enough for what you do.

Advice to Management

I had been a great employee for years and was terminated over something I (and many other people) feel was minor. I understand rules are rules, but you all need to allow yourselves some flexibility and really look into situations before you make decisions. This, combined with other things, are why you are losing people who are knowledgeable, experienced, and enthusiastic, and have to retrain "fresh" employees constantly, which is not cost effective.

Mar 7, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed working with us for the most part! As a company, we strive to offer our employees with competitive wages and ... More

"Good first job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA

I worked at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and great benefits. Discounts on food and merchandise. Nice managers, process took about 2 weeks, fairly simple and easy

Cons

Trainers only train you for an hour then you throw off into the park. Rude customers. Some managers are rude and don't like to help

Advice to Management

Get better auditors, a better training system, and a better work scheduling site, many confusions with shift hours and ESO was not that understanding

11. "Pretty decent"

Former Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Information Systems Analyst in Valencia, CA

I worked at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Easy job, overall I didnt mind working there for 11 bucks an hour.

Cons

customers are annoying, it gets really hot out, loud coasters

Showing 374 of 1,357 reviews