Six Flags Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 28, 2017
1,333 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,333 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Visit the park for free and also bring a friend with you (in 66 reviews)

• Good and free admission to park (in 115 reviews)

Cons
  • breaks are short , long hours in hot sun (in 111 reviews)

• Not the best pay but it is still above minimum wage (in 81 reviews)

"It was okay for a first job."

Current Employee - Employee Satellite Office in Agawam, MA
    Current Employee - Employee Satellite Office in Agawam, MA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many co-workers. Fun atmosphere most of the time. Human Resources is a decent department, and a harder to get job, but other jobs in park or behind the scenes are easy to get.

Cons

Minimum pay. Minimum rewards for working hard. People get hired and fired constantly. Employees do not feel valued.

Advice to Management

Let your employees feel comfortable in their position. I felt like there were eyes on the back of my head every second of working, which was very uncomfortable and discouraging. Work on positive reinforcement. I was always reprimanded for mistakes, but never positively told how to do better next time.

Mar 10, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review. We appreciate what our employees have to say about us and we would like you to know that your advice to management has been heard.

2. "Shop Foreman"

Former Employee - Shop Foreman in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Shop Foreman in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Six Flags full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work challenges every day. Company provides occasional cookouts, outings, free tickets, employee sectional parties, and more. Can visit any Six Flags park for free.

Cons

Sometimes long hours in Maintenance dept.. Working in extreme weather a must. Employee to work ratio is low in some shops creating a safety concern where only one person is working alone in the park. A Full Time Position is often hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Would like to see better communication between workers and management and more consideration of worker ideas and concerns that are actually implemented instead of just talked about. Slack off on some of the relative new data entry first, on all work done. This is great for upper management but seems ineffective in maximum work output. This point can be argued all day long, but in the end, look at the hours involved spent on a computer verses actually doing the job assignment.

Mar 10, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

First and foremost, thank you so much for your detailed review. We love to hear that you are happy with the benefits we offer our employees. As a company, we understand the importance of ... More

3. "Great for Leadership and Teamwork"

Current Employee - Seasonal Ride Operator/Attendant in Austell, GA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Ride Operator/Attendant in Austell, GA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Constantly positive, motivation and team skills, there's lot of adrenaline working here, and it helped me lose weight.
    Even if you have a bad day, your team is there to be your friends. Ya'll basically grow to be friends.

Cons

Fake persona, distance, high demands, and anxiety of failure that leads to death.
    If you fail, you could either hurt yourself or a guest and it could lead to death. Even if the guest is throwing terrible slurs at you, you still have to be friendly. The park is kind of in the middle of no where so it's really far out. They demand your work schedule and you can't really have any wiggle room with it.

Advice to Management

Go easy on some of the younger trainees.

5. "Good starter job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Six Flags part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started working at Six Flags as a teenager, and worked my way up into management as an adult. It's not something I would have continued doing the rest of my life had I been able to, but I'm thankful that it gave me tons of great experience on my resume- how many young adults can say they were supervisors? The opportunity to advance and be promoted is there if you're willing to work for it. The people I worked with were fantastic and we really were a family. As far as school went, they were great about working with my schedule and understood why it was important to me- there's also a Six Flags Scholarship you can apply for if you're in school. Also, you get an employee discount at the shops/restaurants, and you get free attendance for yourself and a friend, along with free/discounted tickets.

Cons

Look, it's a theme park. You're going to have angry people, you're going to have crowds, you're going to be hot and sweaty- and don't think that just because you're working something like Retail or Food service that you'll be able to circumvent being outside. Favoritism is rampant, depending on which department you're in. Also, while they've raised the wages a little (mostly depending on your department) like most jobs, you're not going to be paid enough for what you do.

Advice to Management

I had been a great employee for years and was terminated over something I (and many other people) feel was minor. I understand rules are rules, but you all need to allow yourselves some flexibility and really look into situations before you make decisions. This, combined with other things, are why you are losing people who are knowledgeable, experienced, and enthusiastic, and have to retrain "fresh" employees constantly, which is not cost effective.

Mar 7, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed working with us for the most part! As a company, we strive to offer our employees with competitive wages and ... More

6. "A good job for teens"

Former Employee - Team Member in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Team Member in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Six Flags (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a couple tickets for friends& family. You have access to the park on special days, you also get in for free & discount on food.

Cons

Over working, sometimes. Very long standing hours

Advice to Management

Follow the rules of the company, & stop singling out certain people when you have staff meetings

7. "Hostess"

Former Employee - Hostess in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Hostess in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Six Flags part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic place to work. Flexible, great hours, fun people to work with, easy summer job.

Cons

Very few, I loved my time here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Mar 7, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed working with us!

"Security"

Current Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Austell, GA
    Current Employee - Unarmed Security Officer in Austell, GA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hourly rate is $10.00/hour and you rack up 20-35 hours per week during summer. From march till May you lucky to get 18 hours per week. November till January you get about 15 hours a week.

Cons

Standing for hours. You get 1 break every 5 hours if they remember to give you one, which lasts 45 minutes. Bring water container because you are lucky to get water brought to you. Summer you will majorly sweat because you are in full uniform and it draws major heat, specially the dark pants. Anything wrong someone else does you will be held over at end of shift and lectured over an hour over it, which is very often. Worst is when they go all around the room at end of shift and ask what did you learn today and there is 27 security officers waiting in a room with no ac, sweating like heck because they shut the ac off at end of shift to lecture you(temperature in room goes way up so bring cold water, so you don't pass out).

Advice to Management

Cut lecture time down to save on cost and get rid of people who rack up 60 or more points instead of having them avoid being caught even if you are short on officers. Some people were at 100 points and dodging having their badges scanned because Sgt or Lt told them to not get caught because we were short.

Mar 14, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback. First and foremost, we are so sorry to hear of your experiences in working with us. We highly recommend open communication with your direct manager about ... More

9. "Not Enough Pay"

Current Employee - Seasonal Ride Operator/Attendant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Seasonal Ride Operator/Attendant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounted Tickets
    Bring A Friend for Free

Cons

Not enough pay
    Short breaks
    Long hours
    They would have you work 40 hours straight, but make sure it overlapped in another work week

Advice to Management

Make sure to give breaks
    Rotate more
    Pay needs to be improved for the work ethic of employees
    Care more for employees

Apr 4, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your honest review. We are glad to hear that you enjoy the benefits we offer our employees. As a company, we strive to offer competitive wages and are constantly monitoring the industry ... More

"A Slog for ungrateful management."

Former Employee - Security Officer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Security Officer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Six Flags full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Frequent hours/work.
    Your coworkers will have your back.
    Reasonably open environment.

Cons

Uninterested and aloof middle to upper management.
    Pay is atrocious.
    Employees are treated as expendable.

Advice to Management

It costs more to train new employees, and teenagers are not a reliable workforce. Invest in your workers and they will give you a good performance. Keep treating them poorly, and your turnover rate will be the death of your reputation.

Mar 10, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your honest review. We are sorry to hear of your experiences in working with us. As a company, we strive to offer our employees with competitive wages. Your advice to management is ... More

"Good first job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palmdale, CA

I worked at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and great benefits. Discounts on food and merchandise. Nice managers, process took about 2 weeks, fairly simple and easy

Cons

Trainers only train you for an hour then you throw off into the park. Rude customers. Some managers are rude and don't like to help

Advice to Management

Get better auditors, a better training system, and a better work scheduling site, many confusions with shift hours and ESO was not that understanding

Showing 1,333 of 1,368 reviews