Six Flags Reviews in Vallejo, CA | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Six Flags President and CEO John Duffey
John Duffey

Pros
  • Visit the park for free and also bring a friend with you (in 65 reviews)

• Good and free admission to park (in 111 reviews)

Cons
  • breaks are short , long hours in hot sun (in 107 reviews)

• Not the best pay but it is still above minimum wage (in 81 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work At"

Former Employee - Customer Service/Data Entry in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Data Entry in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Six Flags full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get to meet people from all over the world and watch the kids have so much fun watching the animals. Its a fun environment and you can work your way up quickly and you can get your family or friends a discount for tickets or items. there are a lot of opportunities working for this company.

Cons

Working there is a lot of walking and standing. Listening to all the loud noises and the kids screaming inside the stores. Working in the heat depending where you are and the cold even if there is rain.

Oct 27, 2016 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for writing your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the environment you worked in. We strive to provide a fun and exciting environment for our guests as well as employees. In ... More

2. "SixFlags.com Review"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Six Flags full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The bonus structure only makes sense if you're applying as a Corporate Executive. The pay rate isn't as competitive as Great America, but for an entry sales position, this is a good company.

Cons

There is literally no growth or leadership pipeline. "Lifers" will always take precedent as well as favorites over merit and hard work ethic.

Advice to Management

Please look within yourselves and understand that you who do not listen and mentor your employees, you will in fact lose the employees who produce the very most for you each year.

Jan 5, 2017 – Content Marketing Manager

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time out to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback in regards to mentoring employees and will take it into consideration, as we are constantly ... More

3. "Not a good place to work."

Former Employee - Ride Operator in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Ride Operator in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Six Flags full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You do get free admission into the park but they usually have you working so much you don't have time to go.

Cons

The pay is terrible and the treatment is worse. McDonald's is better.

5. "Great Job for High School Students"

Current Employee - Hostess in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible shifts
    - Most people that work there are very friendly
    - Comp tickets!
    - Visit the park for free and also bring a friend with you
    - Discounts with badge and benefits
    - Picnics, fright nights, ride openings just for employees
    - Looks good on resume for customer service
    - Positive place to work at

Cons

- It gets hot during the summer
    - Angry guests will always target employees
    - The theme park is usually open on holidays
    - Most employees don't get many hours
    - It can be strict at times

Advice to Management

Make bigger or better signs for people to see that there are no bags/backpacks allowed on some rides. Some people wait in line for a long time and then get sent back because they can't put the bag aside.

Oct 18, 2016 – Content Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We always appreciate what our employees have to say and use it towards improving as a company.

6. "Work you until exhaustion and pay you little for it."

Current Employee - Security Supervisor in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Security Supervisor in Vallejo, CA

Pros

Discounts are nice, that's about it.

Cons

Management treats employees like bodies to fill positions rather than as actual people. During the summer, prepare to work up to 15 hour days, and wonder what happened to those days when you get your paycheck the next week. Prepare to be mistreated, ignored, and treated as if your opinion and life do not matter.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like human beings rather than pawns on a chess board. Do not look down upon non-full time employees as incompetent children, because not all of us are in that demographic. Treat employees equally and fairly, and give them fair pay for the work they do.

"Romance faints away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Six Flags full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part was working with the animals, feeding them, and wondering about them when working there. Otherwise I worked at the Shark's exhibit and it was wonderful.

Cons

The staff co workers, not so much good people. The manager loves to brag he was a "control freak" or "micro-managing" but otherwise wasn't really a person who took his job seriously but sometimes would not be an understanding person. The workers were not serious about the jobs, broke too many simple rule, and not really welcoming at all.

Advice to Management

Nothing much to say, wasn't really a satisfying and productive job anyway. A waste of my bachelor degree especially for $10 an hire after working hard in the bio and chem labs in school.

8. "Six Flags, Inc."

Current Employee - Food Service in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time

Pros

There are some great employees you get to work with. Cooperation and teamwork is strongly encouraged among fellow team members, as well as management. Having free access to any Six Flags park along with a free Buddy Pass isn't too bad either. There is a limitation on the number of complimentary tickets one can receive; however, it is understandable since they are "non-revenue" tickets and Six Flags is a business. Every day is different as you get to meet new people from around the world. In addition, given the right skills and determination, there is much room for advancement within the company.

Cons

Given that it is an amusement park, there are times when the guests' demands cannot be met with the level of staff available. Long hours combined with strenuous work tasks tend to wear out even the most willing and diligent worker. You also have to deal with irate guests who cannot understand why they had to wait nearly 30 minutes for their food on a day with over 20,000 guests in attendance. Sometimes, the employees are just another number in a large corporation, where anyone is replaceable; despite, the number of years they have devoted to the company. Albeit, that is the very nature of an "at-will" contract; something that all seasonal workers must sign in order to work there.

Advice to Management

Revamp the employee benefits program to include more lucrative performance-based rewards than just Red Dots and/or Team Six Rewards. I have seen unruly "customers" (I don't consider these individuals to be guests) berate some employees, and then get away with either free merchandise and/or a full refund all for the sake of "guest satisfaction." The team member then acknowledges the fact that the customer is valued in every aspect over the employee; which, consequently, negatively affects their performance. While that may be the sad inconvenient truth when it comes to increasing net profit within any business, it is certainly not the only way to maintain high profit-margins. It goes without saying that valued employees are far more inclined to provide outstanding guest service if they know that their company will stand behind them. In my honest opinion, cut your losses and let these individuals go. Refund their season passes or one-day admission tickets and allow them to take their business elsewhere; otherwise, they'll keep on exploiting the company through irrational "guest-complaints." One way to properly address this is to do away with that heinous "the customer is always right" slogan, and institute in its place a "We mean business" motto that every guest and employee understands when he or she sets foot on any Six Flags Property.

9. "Work and Travel Program Participant"

Former Employee - Intern in Vallejo, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Vallejo, CA

I worked at Six Flags (Less than a year)

Pros

Free rides and access to the park on your days off and you can bring a buddy with your buddy pass. Discounts on merchandise. Free beverages in the break room.

Cons

Too long of a walk before you reach your unit location. You have to wash everything when you have a closing shift and sometimes filter the oil which takes forever.

10. "Retail"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A fun environment with many opportunities to get to know guests.

Cons

Lack of appreciate and communication.

Advice to Management

Work on communication skills with team members.

11. "Positive work environment"

Current Employee - Fright Fest Performer in Vallejo, CA
    Current Employee - Fright Fest Performer in Vallejo, CA

I have been working at Six Flags part-time

Pros

I work as a Fright Fest performer for Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and it was a very positive work environment. I enjoyed working with our team in the haunted houses. I'd return!

Cons

There was not a lot of training given to any of the Fright Fest performers. We very much learned on the job and it was more of a trial and error process.

Advice to Management

Provide your employees with more training on how to scare properly in a haunted house. It would greatly improve the quality of the experience for guests.

Showing 53 of 1,335 reviews