KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom

Is this your company?

Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom

Add a Review

Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom Employee Reviews about "support staff"

Updated Jul 16, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 442 of over 443 reviews
4.1
83% Recommend to a Friend
93% Approve of CEO

Found 39 of over 443 reviews

4.1
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom Executive Partner Eric Friedman (no image)
Eric Friedman

The latest conversations about Law

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people to work with and unparalleled cases/experiences.(in 46 reviews)
  • "Good benefits(in 30 reviews)
  • "good salary and very prestigious M&A practice(in 19 reviews)
  • "They offer good pay and raises if the work excels.(in 13 reviews)
  • "great support staff(in 13 reviews)
Cons
  • "Long hours and sometimes weekend work(in 53 reviews)
  • "No work life balance.(in 16 reviews)
  • "I am not averse to long hours for adequate compensation so that is not a problem for me at all.(in 15 reviews)
  • "Incompetent and abusive management have micromanaged the office to death.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Law firm office managers always seem fairly clueless as to how the firm actually makes money and how the work gets done.(in 7 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "support staff"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great firm for legal training

Apr 30, 2020 - Attorney in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Collegial environment and kind support staff, very encouraging of pro bono work

Cons

Difficult to maintain work-life balance

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great benefits and interesting work, but apathy can set in.

Jul 16, 2021 - Support Staff - Global Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and benefits are great, marketing director gives higher than average raises annually. People in my immediate team were smart and implemented interesting tools/processes for the marketing department. Coming from smaller employers, it was interesting to see how a large marketing department operated on the day-to-day. Events are often open to support staff so it was interesting to get a legal perspective on current events. Work/life balance was MUCH better during the pandemic and it was encouraging to see management open to flexible schedules in the future.

Cons

Very hierarchal so often I felt like just a cog in the wheel. I learned quickly that my voice didn't matter very much to senior management and even my direct boss so I felt pretty apathetic by the end of my tenure at the firm. I never received a promotion despite being highly rated during my annual reviews while there were others in the department who were promoted frequently. There was very little room for growth due to people working for the firm for very very long tenures and a lack of mentorship/guidance to grow into new roles within the firm. The work is confidential and technology was dated because better tools/software that use the cloud were unavailable to use and there was a strong emphasis on email for project management which often creates a bottleneck when seeking approvals.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 3.0

It's Big Law...

Mar 23, 2021 - Litigation Associate
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pro bono hours count towards billable requirement, extensive support staff, formal training opportunities, salary

Cons

Long hours, working with people can be a hit or miss, lack of transparency for partnership, lack of diversity

4. 3.0
    Current Employee

Fair for Big Law

Jan 27, 2021 - Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Complexity of work; Support staff; Diversity of assignments

Cons

Feedback and development is a secondary concern.

5. 1.0

Black Lives do not matter at Skadden

Oct 24, 2020 - Support Staff in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great name recognition and resume builder. Work life balance was good in my role (support staff).

Cons

Minorities, specifically black employees, are treated as second-class employees and deemed more expendable than their counterparts, and are not paid their fair market value. Skadden is full of performative support, but not actual support. Context: I am African American. I was in a support staff role. TL;DR: Despite above-average performance as dictated by annual performance review and verbal praise my management, I was denied a higher raise to bring me to my true market value. I determined my true market value by getting a hard offer from another firm and Skadden declined to even counter-offer. I know of non-minorities who went through this process and received multiple raises. For *some* reason I was the exception. Also, the HR team is the physical embodiment of the glass ceiling for minorities. I joined the firm below the market value for my level of expertise and experience with the understanding from management that if I perform at a high level my pay would be raised accordingly. Nearly a year passes and I receive the highest marks on my performance review for all 27 categories and I was given a 5% raise (and therefore my salary still well below my market value) and was expected to be grateful as they said the typical raise is 2-3%. (Unsure how they keep any top-talent employees if they are barely raising their salary above inflation). My managers give me all the verbal praise in the world about my value and my skills. I voice my concerns to my managers that I am being paid below market value and I am then told by one of them that I am "worth every penny we pay you *and more*" (direct quote). I ask them/HR to run an analysis of my salary - which they then come back and say I am paid exactly where I should be (i.e. the average/median, despite my above average performance review). When I voiced my concerns to HR, my managers praise and support for me disappears. During my "negotiations" with HR, I repeatedly brought up how I should be being paid more than the median or the average employee (which is how they based their analysis to justify not raising my salary more) because my performance reviews dictated that I am a well-above average employee. Her response to this was that I was being "defensive." It is hard enough moving up in the corporate world as an African American, let alone when a high level HR employee belittles you referencing your merit/achievements as simply being "defensive." My interactions with her left me with one impression: she is the physical embodiment of the glass ceiling for minorities. Then, I received a hard offer from another firm for over 10k+ my salary, plus equity, plus much better benefits. I informed my managers and stated I would like them to match or provide a counter offer. Despite my performance and my relationship with them and the hard offer solidifying my market value, they still contended that I was being paid at a fair rate and decided not to even provide a counter-offer. Obviously, I left the firm. This was all during the height of the Black Lives Matter movement when corporations were the most sensitive to these issues and yet I was still treated as an easily expendable employee not worthy of my fair market value. If they are comfortable doing this during a period of heightened sensitivity to equality, then image how they typically operate. To be clear, I do not want to receive preferential treatment or more money for my skin color, I just want to not be deprived of my fair market value because of my skin color. I know other non-minority employees who have went through this process and received multiple raises. For *some* reason, I was the exception. You can draw your own conclusions as to why. I am sure I am not alone in my experience. Do not work here as a minority. If you do, use it as a resume builder for a year or so but do not expect equal treatment to your Caucasian counter-parts.

10 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Legal Assistant Specialist

May 16, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Challenging, great coworkers, flexibility, opportunity to learn new skills, opportunities for growth, very diverse work environment.

Cons

Micromanaging the support staff a bit too much.

7. 2.0

Friendly staff/attorneys, stale management

Apr 19, 2019 - Office Services Assistant in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Support staff and attorneys are (mostly) nice. Generous PTO, good benefits.

Cons

Long hours are expected, and if you refuse to stay you are looked down upon. No work/life balance. Most of the managers are always in a bad mood, really negative to be around and bring the energy down.

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great Firm to Work For

Mar 18, 2019 - Legal Secretary in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great health benefits, vacation time, salary. Skadden fosters lenient dress code and employee recognition program.

Cons

Minimal opportunities for growth and flexible work schedule for support staff.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Poor Office and Secretarial Management; Discrimination

Mar 21, 2019 - Support Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good health benefits and vacation time

Cons

The morale at the firm is overall extremely low. There is no work, secretaries sit anxiously wondering when the next cut will happen even though they're told there won't be any. Support staff is under-appreciated and their input on improvements are not considered. Despite bragging about how many billions are brought in each year, it does not affect support staff raises which appear to still be affected by the recession, and bonuses remain 1-1/2%. There are supervisors and managers in place who have no business being in charge of anything or anyone. There are an excessive amount of managers. It's a toxic environment, with blatant breaches of confidentiality and displays of favoritism. The focus at this firm is to follow blindly. They push staff for innovative ideas (thereby doing management's job) and do not follow through. The firm changed for the worst since the current NYO leader took over. It's interesting how 99% of terminated employees are non-caucasian.

10 people found this review helpful
  10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

long hours

Mar 3, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

the support staff is nice

Cons

hours are unpredictable, no work life balance

Viewing 1 - 10 of 39 Reviews