Skechers U.S.A. Reviews | Glassdoor

Robert Greenberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Supervisor"

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. part-time

Pros

Hours were available when needed

Cons

You tend to be overworked overlooked and underpaid

"Management was terrible"

Former Employee - Salesfloor Associate in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Salesfloor Associate in Spring, TX

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing was how easy to put shoes away and do shipment and the store hours are okay and they provide a security gaurd to make sure nothing happens

Cons

Management is underqualified, not trained, and rude, i felt discriminated personally by the store manager and was never given any day i asked off for unless i begged even though they where resonable days to take off .

"Its a fun place to work but not paid enough for all the work you do."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moreno Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moreno Valley, CA

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a fun place to work theres always something to do, lots of chances to grow.

Cons

They expect wayyyy to much just all around and i feel like im being baby sat every day.

"Unless you want a job with no mobility do not apply."

Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Part Time Assistant Manager in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. part-time

Pros

Employee discount is 50% off "X" amount of pairs per month.
    Pay is average.
    Scheduling is flexible.

Cons

No upward mobility even though you will be told that they like to promote from within. I should've realized this wasn't the case as I was hired directly into management.
    If you are anything higher than a floor supervisor you are not allowed to leave the store unless you have another manager or floor supervisor in the store, even if you are clocked out while on lunch.
    Expectations and requirements are set way too high if you don't have the proper staffing.
    You can work your butt off in order to help your store and other local stores and hardly get a thank you.
    Anything other than 1st Assistant and General Manager positions are considered part time, even if you work 40+ hours per week.
    They do not back up their employees or ask the employee's side when there is a customer service issue.

***Biggest Complaint***
    They do not offer benefits to ANYONE other than the General and 1st Assistant Managers.
    If you have a chronic illness that requires expensive medication monthly, DO NOT APPLY!

Advice to Management

Stop lying during the interview process about upward mobility.
    Help your employees not just your wallets.

"supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Gardena, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Gardena, CA

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

easy tasks, projects, and challenges

Cons

insuficient pay rate and raises

Advice to Management

communication

"Manager treated like associate"

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours are flexible
    The discount is pretty good (50% off)
    Associates are good to work with
    Good location (close to home)

Cons

Underpaid
    High expectations
    Promised promotion, hired someone with zero experience instead
    Terrible management
    Always overstocked or understocked, no in between and no way to fix it.
    Unless you are a store manager or first assistant manager, you aren't taken seriously.
    UNDERSTAFFED!!!!

Advice to Management

When people tell you there is an issue, fix it. Don't just hope it goes away.
    Don't make empty promises.

7. "No one knows what is going on"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free shoes/ 50% off shoes
    - Mostly good quality product

Cons

- Told upon hiring I would be in part time training for a few months then would have a full time position once fully trained (later told this was completely untrue and was not in the budget)
    - When setting up the store there was a lot of direction from people from other stores... too bad they were not the same type of store and EVERYTHING had to be redone (reorganized stockroom; items improperly priced; items improperly displayed.... all of which happened opening weekend which lead to a decrease in customer service)
    - While they had people from corporate/management from other store to train/help us set up the store a week in advance, no real training took place until after the store opened
    - Lack of training as well as training (with booklets, with no direction and having to redo the packet over and over again because there was NO explanation or instructions to go with it) while customers are in the store and requesting help lead to a large loss of sales as well as a storewide failure to meet sales goals (less than 30% of goal was achieved on good days)
    -Management brought in to train the first couple of weeks of the store being open is not professional towards in store employees. (Yelling at employees in front of customers, constantly snapping at employees when they have customer walk out the door without a sale when she insisted on training in that time instead of focusing on customer service for 10 minutes, demanding employees come in for training [shift less than 30 minutes],

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, and don't lie about opportunities. I understand that you need to hire a staff but an employee that is lied to right from the start isn't likely to stick around.

"I truly believe I've gone through it all!"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy your coworkers it makes it easier, seeing as there isn't a work life balance for Store Managers and the Assistant Store Manager. Commission is a pro if you work in that store type and if you don't they raise your hourly.

Cons

Under paid for the job itself. No progression unless you are a favorite. A lot of outside hiring... little to no hiring within. It's takes forever to get problems resolved. Example: I needed someone else to set up my approver in an application we use to get reimbursed for expenses, let's just say I'm just now getting reimbursed on my upcoming check. My expenses were from 3-4 months ago.

Advice to Management

They shouldn't look for people with all this experience coming in seeing as they don't really care about it come promotion time. I am at a location that is doing fantastic and have been with the company a year and two months, and someone who knew the DM came from the outside was with the company two months and now has his own store. I was informed I need 6-8 months of experience at a different store type to move up. Just a lot of false hope and not enough guidance.

9. "Retail is Retail"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission on your sales

Cons

Commission is only 2 % and you must sell more than one pair in order to even get the tiny commission.
    They expect a lot out of their workers for the little pay they receive.
    They also micromanage

"Wasteful"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

50% employee discounts.
    70% employee discounts on Apparel when more than 50% Off.
    And, that's it...

Cons

Unrealistic goals for management that upper management pushes.
    Hold meetings for employees but this 3 billion dollar company does not provide even a soda for the staff. Absolutely nothing at all.

Constantly sends out directives by email.
    Constantly sends out another to undo that directive.
    Sets a percentage promo markdown one hour.
    Next hour marks up the price and drops the promo.
    Greedy CEO & practices.
    Don't show your tattoos but it's ok to show up to work intoxicated or under the influence.
    They don't care about management at any level.
    No break room for employees.
    High employee turnover.
    DM'S are terrible and not supportive. Visits are generally always negative. Low pay.
    It's just shoes man.

Advice to Management

Don't like a store, roll your sleeves up and jump in and help out instead of walking around like a giraffe. Point out the good, successes and accomplishments instead of acting like a crime has been committed.
    We work hard and push our staff just to have you think that we are sitting around doing nothing.