Skechers U.S.A. Reviews | Glassdoor

Skechers U.S.A. Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to get in contact with upper management (in 37 reviews)

• Low pay compared to other companies (in 21 reviews)

1. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gaffney, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Gaffney, SC

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, awesome staff, and good discount. A lot of training at this company. Really good job for college kids or just a first time job.

Cons

A lot of lifting and climbing ladders. Shipment would be heavy especially during seasons changing, so tons of new shoes to put out each week.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! It's nice to shop where the staff has product knowledge.

2. "I truly believe I've gone through it all!"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy your coworkers it makes it easier, seeing as there isn't a work life balance for Store Managers and the Assistant Store Manager. Commission is a pro if you work in that store type and if you don't they raise your hourly.

Cons

Under paid for the job itself. No progression unless you are a favorite. A lot of outside hiring... little to no hiring within. It's takes forever to get problems resolved. Example: I needed someone else to set up my approver in an application we use to get reimbursed for expenses, let's just say I'm just now getting reimbursed on my upcoming check. My expenses were from 3-4 months ago.

Advice to Management

They shouldn't look for people with all this experience coming in seeing as they don't really care about it come promotion time. I am at a location that is doing fantastic and have been with the company a year and two months, and someone who knew the DM came from the outside was with the company two months and now has his own store. I was informed I need 6-8 months of experience at a different store type to move up. Just a lot of false hope and not enough guidance.

3. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Valencia, CA

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Free shoes.

Cons

Strict DM and pay sucks

Advice to Management

Learn to be professional

5. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. (More than a year)

Pros

Very good place to work at.

Cons

Area Managers are very rude

Advice to Management

Sit talking down to your Sales Associates.

6. "Stay away from Wholesale Allocations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great view, nice location/facilities

Cons

Director is verbally abusive to her employees while exhibiting no motivation or work ethic herself, which was ignored by her boss and HR. Most people (including upper management) are there to collect a paycheck and do not care about doing a good job or growing professionally. Most employees put in minimal effort during the day and then try to milk the overtime, so if you manage your time well you end up having to stay late finishing other people's work, essentially rewarding laziness. Absolutely no work ethic, integrity or interest in retail among employees and management. Don't work here if you are a serious professional interested in moving up in your career.

Advice to Management

Introduce a way for employees to ANONYMOUSLY evaluate their work environment(managers/division of work/co-workers). If HR is incapable of this, bring in consultants. The lack of professionalism is truly appalling. The company loses money on missed sales due to negligence of employees who have been with the company for years (even though they put little to no effort into their jobs). People who are not performing need to be moved out. Stop using "the cost of training" as an excuse to let people who don't care about the quality of their work to stay in the same position year after year.

7. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Annona, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Annona, TX

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the discount! Depending on the position you hold you can receive up to 10 pairs of shoes at 50% off a month. Pay is decent for management and for associates I would have to say it is above average in comparison to other retail jobs.

Cons

It seems as though you can be terminated very quickly and are made aware of this often. The company makes it very clear that you are replaceable and in turn you feel a bit under-appreciated.

Advice to Management

The company is currently targeting the "baby boomers" or an older generation. They need to hire trendy people and allow tattoos and piercings if they are going to start reaching out to our younger generations. It's 2016, tattoos are considered normal now. If you would like to have "fashion forward" employees, stop enforcing polos and t-shirts for warehouse employees and start letting employees express their fashion sense without having to work around a Skechers shirt everyday.

8. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible when working with someone's availability and are willing to pay employees respectively .

Cons

When it's a slow season your hours will be cut dramatically but they pick up again during busier seasons .

9. "Retail is Retail"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission on your sales

Cons

Commission is only 2 % and you must sell more than one pair in order to even get the tiny commission.
    They expect a lot out of their workers for the little pay they receive.
    They also micromanage

10. "Opinion"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and have openings all over the usa and other areas. Working in a big mall was fun

Cons

management doesnt really help much from above the store level. They say one thing and do another thing unlike they asked

Advice to Management

talk to all the workers on all levels and treat everyone the same dont favor people

11. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The workplace was alright, mainly working with younger toddlers and older folks looking for comfy shoes. The management was great, making sure that we all had a good understanding of each shoes we had in the shop

Cons

I didn't like having to bring out three boxes of shoes out to a customer every time they requested a shoe. It was our job to bring out two ADDITIONAL shoes that were similar to the one they asked for, or maybe one or two that we may just think they'd like to check out. It was good for marketing and sales, but was also quite a hassle.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great work. Continue seasonal meetings and keep hiring great people who love shoes.