Skechers U.S.A. Reviews | Glassdoor

Skechers U.S.A. Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to get in contact with upper management (in 37 reviews)

• Low pay compared to other companies (in 21 reviews)

"Wasteful"

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

50% employee discounts.
    70% employee discounts on Apparel when more than 50% Off.
    And, that's it...

Cons

Unrealistic goals for management that upper management pushes.
    Hold meetings for employees but this 3 billion dollar company does not provide even a soda for the staff. Absolutely nothing at all.

Constantly sends out directives by email.
    Constantly sends out another to undo that directive.
    Sets a percentage promo markdown one hour.
    Next hour marks up the price and drops the promo.
    Greedy CEO & practices.
    Don't show your tattoos but it's ok to show up to work intoxicated or under the influence.
    They don't care about management at any level.
    No break room for employees.
    High employee turnover.
    DM'S are terrible and not supportive. Visits are generally always negative. Low pay.
    It's just shoes man.

Advice to Management

Don't like a store, roll your sleeves up and jump in and help out instead of walking around like a giraffe. Point out the good, successes and accomplishments instead of acting like a crime has been committed.
    We work hard and push our staff just to have you think that we are sitting around doing nothing.

"This is a good starting job."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Maywood, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Maywood, NJ

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are that you gain customer service experience. Also you usually have extremely understanding managers who are there to help you as much as they can. They worked with me and my college schedule.

Cons

There really isn't a lot of opportunity for advancement. When we needed new managers they looked outside of the store instead of looking at the people who had been there for 2+ years. Also it can sometimes be a little much depending on where you work. I sometimes would be asked to work 13 hours. I have taken 12 hour shifts because pay wasn't to great. They go with the absolute minimum which sometimes isn't enough to pay for things.

Advice to Management

I would honestly try to promote from within. Many of the people who work there are management material if you work with them. I also would offer raise incentives because working at minimum wage for so long is frustrating especially when you're paying for collegez

3. "Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you have a good boss. Lots of company perks.

Cons

Most of the supervisors are amazing people except a few. Performance Division has the worst upper management team supervising the department, beware!

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

5. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only fun part is comission, 2pairs of shoes is 2% of sale before tax, 4pairs is 4%, and 6pairs or more is only 6% of sale.

Cons

Management is not fully put together, very unprofessional in a lot of cases and they do take favoritism but when you disagree with anything they do anything they can to either fire you or make you quit.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees if you want to run an actual business and have actual employees. Another thing, if your staff is good where it's at don't cut hours to add more people who don't even want to be there.

6. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and environment to work in. Flexible schedule that allowed me to go to school. We were very close and all got along very well.

Cons

The worst part of the job was the gumball machine! All the obnoxious teenagers who come in the store just for gum balls and have no respect for paying customers.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting from within and treating your employees well. Don't change commission structures. Overall a good company to work for.

"Floor Associate Here:"

Former Employee - Floor Associate in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Floor Associate in Cottonwood Heights, UT

Pros

Discounts... That's all I can really think of and now I have to fill the 20 word minimum

Cons

Where do I begin? The management is disorganized, the team lacks any sort of unity, people talk behind others' backs (all management included), the company is greedy, systems are outdated, shoes themselves are outdated (and also copy designs of other companies), hours are really only okay for high school students, only the first assistant and store manager get full time hours, there is no opportunity to move up in position unless you seriously kiss up to your store manager and DM, and then even when you do your job plus some, you can never do enough to satisfy managers

Advice to Management

Do your tasks and don't push them off on others. Stop with the high school level rumors and drama. Focus on YOUR team and their needs: get to know your employees, talk to them face-to-face instead of talking about them behind their backs, and please, learn how to talk to other managers and stay on the plan for that day (tasks, goals, etc.)

"Loved It"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall good learning experience

Cons

I don't have any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

9. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There isn't really a lot good unless you are a store manager and higher

Cons

Higher managers are always putting their loads onto the lower managers, and it's not a friendly workplace.

Advice to Management

Pick up your own weight.

"We'll run company. Great people."

Former Employee - Designer in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked here for two years as a designer. Loved my boss, and company seemed to care for its employees. Salaries are ok, nothing great. Sense of a community but really competitive between departments. Every department internally is in competition with each other for best sellers.

Experience will vary depending on which department you are in. Some departments are basically industry copy cats, others are innovators. You can guess which by reading lawsuit news.

Location cannot be beat.

Made some good friends here, had a lot of fun being around the culture. Corporate intrigue is to the minimum, which makes for a very pleasant work environment. Managers shield their employees from stress, but are themselves often overworked. Hours for design employees are flexible and reasonable.

If you deliver a well selling design, you will get fair amount of respect and leeway, regardless of experience.

Cafeteria staff could open their own restaurant if they wanted to - it's really good.

Cons

Few minor gripes. Management is composed of shoe designer veterans who are not always open to new workflow ideas. A lot of work here is going to feel really repetitive and non creative if you're coming from a different industry.

Travel is not business class.

Design is often not prioritized over meeting deadlines. This results in half baked goods.

Advice to Management

Keep kicking it, but allow room for experimentation and longer design process. Hire more designers to even out workload.

11. "Eye opening to the cutthroat tactics of retail"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Canovanas, PR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Canovanas, PR

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet lots of new future screwed over people, other than that there really isn't any pros to this company to boast about.

Cons

Corporate always threatening your job, everyday is worked as an at will employee and they make sure to constantly remind you of that fact.

Advice to Management

You don't know everything, and people aren't just numbers