Skechers U.S.A. "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Skechers U.S.A. Chairman and CEO Robert Greenberg
Robert Greenberg

"Stay away"

I worked at Skechers U.S.A.

Pros

None just simply stay away

Cons

Horrible communication from corporate and upper management. No one really knows what they are doing. no developmental training.

Advice to Management

Just apply elsewhere

Skechers U.S.A.2015-05-30

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Skechers offers a lot of growth opportunities. This is one of the few large retail companies that maintains a mom and pop type feel in its store culture. The product is great and the customers are very loyal, you have a "regulars" customer base which is often rare in retail.

Cons

Communication from corporate and upper management is dicey. One day direction is given a certain way and the next day the opposite direction is given. The company boasts values and visions that its actions do not always align with. There is definitely an "in group." The people who are "in" continue to get promoted while those "out" stay in place even when delivering strong, consistent performances. The company can be very political when it comes to filling upper level positions in corporate as well as district management positions. Flexibility is critical and training systems are severely outdated. If you are the type of person who needs recognition and external motivation this is not the organization for you.

Advice to Management

More recognition and feedback. There are very talented individuals in the organization who are being underutilized and under recognized.

Skechers U.S.A.2015-04-29

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great customers Great team Good discounts Bonus if you hit it OT if allowed Great teamwork with other store managers

Cons

Horrible upper management directive. They have a huge miscommunication/disconnect going on between regional and district. Confirmed several things with dsm in which rsm said was wrong. I believe it was lack of training. Upper management is fake, gossips and have favortism. Indecisive direction on promotions. Way too frequent changes. Not enough payroll to execute visuals, floor moves, big shipments, transfers, etc. No bonuses for assistant managers. Quality enhancements on product. Easier communication to corporate.

Advice to Management

Train your new dsms better on expectations and test them to make sure they are able to lead by example. Listen to your employees, they run the business more then your one day visits. Bonuses for assistant managers. More full time positions. Upgrade pos system. More realistic payroll for tasks with last minute deadlines or uncontrollable circumstances.

Skechers U.S.A.2015-04-22

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Only have to work 40hrs a week

Cons

Very poor upper management Corporate has very unrealistic expectations The product is very cheap and not good for your feet Don't value there employees

Skechers U.S.A.2015-04-23

"This place needs work"

Information Systems in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Skechers U.S.A.

Pros

Skechers is a good company overall. Their products are okay, although they tend to fall apart after about 4 months and are kind of gimicky. The office is very nice and clean and the people are nice to work with.

Cons

Management is very cliquish, and won't give you the time of day unless they REALLY like you. Same for salary and raises...unless you are in good with upper management, don't expect any perks from this job. Also, there's relationship issues everywhere and upper management and HR will not lift a finger to try to resolve them. Each department tends to be a silo, and often times my work would come to a stand still because management won't do anything to get their staff to work. Even when I escated the issues to my own manager, things would rarely get done and ultimately the issues would just circle back to me to get resolved. The internally developed ERP system is outdated; looks like something that was developed in the mid-90's, and and only a small handful of people within the company knows how it really works

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees, and encourage more cohesiveness and communication amongst them. Update the ERP system, and get rid of that embarassing ancient artifact and perhaps you could increase the productivity. Get a better QA department. The lifespan of the shoes are way too short for the price people pay for them.

Skechers U.S.A.2015-03-24
  6. "I love it"

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A.

Pros

Flexibly and Development . Very good upper management . Great pay and great atmosphere

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about the company . My time here has been amazing . Maybe updated systems

Advice to Management

N/a

Skechers U.S.A.2015-03-13

"Horrible company that is unprofessional and racist."

Former Employee - General Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Skechers U.S.A. full-time for more than a year

Pros

The overtime and the bonus if you got it

Cons

This place was horrible and upper management was wishy washy. I was a manager here and always felt extreme pressure like my job was on the line. Had to get on medication because I was so stressed. Don't work her shoes are horrible and management is too.

Advice to Management

Learn how to appreciate people and be upfront and organized.

Skechers U.S.A.2015-03-11

"Worst shoe company I have ever worked for."

Sales Associate and Assistant Manager

I worked at Skechers U.S.A.

Pros

Nothing is good about this company, they treat their workers like slaves. They manage the workers by harassment and intimidation. Upper management is very unprofessional and act like police detectives they be questioning their workers about the shoes they are wearying. Their software it's old dated and their standards are ridiculous. Allot good workers have quit after their first months. Not a healthy environment to work in.

Cons

Wouldn't advise anybody to work for this company it would only give you headache and stress. No room to grow unless you are pals with upper management or they like you.

Advice to Management

Go back to school & be more human.

Skechers U.S.A.2015-03-05
  9. "Exceeds expectations"

Current Employee - ASM in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the flexibility of work hours. The upper management has done a great job acclimating me to the retail management needs of Skechers.

Cons

Not really a "con" but sales in general is a tough gig. You have to exert yourself physically and mentally while concentrating on maximizing crew efficiency.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on team oriented solutions that benefit our diverse clients.

Skechers U.S.A.2014-11-12

"Just Okay"

Current Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager

I have been working at Skechers U.S.A. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Concept store employees make commission, which can definitely be used as an advantage when hiring motivated sales associates (although outlet employees are left out of this incentive) - Fairly generous benefits package for full-time employees - The company seems to have a pretty good grasp on what customers they are targeting - Newly designed stores are more shop-able, modern, and sleek (for the customers that is) - Go Walks are extremely comfortable and will run your business. Seriously, rely on these shoes to get you through the darkest of sales periods

Cons

- Pay is less than spectacular, and the commission structure seems to be getting harder and harder- Part-time ASM positions are hard to fill due to the low pay (usually only $1 or so more than min. wage) - Very disorganized business plan overall; everything is last minute and top priority - The return policy needs to be more strict. No time limit or rules are actually implemented, so people are definitely taking advantage - Completely and totally outdated everything. From the fax machines to the ancient POS, the entirety of the technology in the store will push you back into the 80's. Update your systems already! (BTW, I know that implementing new operating systems can be fairly expensive, however, I can assure you that the current systems are costing you more) - Total lack of oversight from upper management. Hearing from your District Manager is few and far between, and actually seeing them is more rare. However, when they do visit the store, mostly everything is wrong and must be done a different way - High turnover rate (most likely due to low compensation)

Advice to Management

- Add hours to payroll for training new employees. This is the front line of your business and training on the go isn't very efficient - Get rid of "The Promise". Secret shops are of the norm, but forcing your sales staff to execute the exact same routine with every customer is completely counter-intuitive to the genuine shopping experience you are trying to create - Way. Too. Much. Repetitive. Info. Posting the same information and redundant sales information and paperwork all over the store does little to drive sales, rather it seems to take a significant amount of time away from what could be a more efficient management procedure - Create a more cohesive multi-store strategy. Understandably, the company has different types of stores, but the visuals and standards of each type should be communicated as such. Instead, the companies "Internet" system Reformer will mostly show one conglomerate floorset document that simply don't match your store whatsoever. Improvisation would seem a reasonable solution to this issue, however it will more than likely not pan out well on a store visit

Skechers U.S.A.2014-10-04