Skidmore, Owings & Merrill Reviews
71% would recommend to a friend
(571 total reviews)
76% approve of CEO
Found 571 of over 676 reviews
Updated Nov 30, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What people are saying about Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Interior Design / Interior Architecture
2 years ago
Anyone looking for a concept-first entry level architectural designer that specializes in drafting and 3D modeling? Proficient in Rhino, CAD, Sketchup and Vray. DM me! Gensler Perkins&will HDR SKIDMORE, OWINGS & MERRILL LLP
Got a burning question about Skidmore, Owings & Merrill? Just ask!
On Glassdoor, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Skidmore, Owings & Merrill employees and get real answers from people on the inside.
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "The people I met were great and this was in 1979 !" (in 49 reviews)
- "Good benefits but not enough holidays just 20 days." (in 24 reviews)
- "Colleagues are friendly and helpful." (in 23 reviews)
- "great opportunities to work with talent people." (in 15 reviews)
- "Office is nice They put fruit (not many) in kitchen in the morning" (in 14 reviews)
- "there are often long hours and clients can be difficult" (in 49 reviews)
- "No work life balance." (in 31 reviews)
- "Poor management and a waste of human resources" (in 24 reviews)
- "Old school hierarchy, working long hours, low pay compared to other firms, etc. Partners & principals seemed unapproachable." (in 14 reviews)
- "1. Long hours is a common thing." (in 14 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and is not affected by filters.
- 5.0FEATURED REVIEWJun 20, 2023Marketing SpecialistCurrent EmployeeChicago, IL
A leader in the industry, SOM offers working on exciting projects around the world. The people here, for the most part, are brilliant
It is expected you can engage in critical thinking, be independent and resourceful, and give it your all.
- 3.0Nov 5, 2023Architectural Designer Level EFormer Employee, less than 1 yearSan Francisco, CA
There are many resources at SOM. Firm offers Amberbook. Other perks and benefits, such as health advocates to manage your healthcare. Free admission to Moma museums. upper management is supportive and willing to help. The projects are very large and reputable. Firm encourages you to speak.
Company hires and terminate employees frequently. They make judgements base on things such as appearance, personality etc. management won’t tell you how they made the decision on terminating you. Currently using UHC which isn’t one the best healthcare insurance anymore. Approve for medication can be very difficult.
- 2.0Nov 30, 2023ArchitectFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsChicago, IL
Work with a group of really talented people Good Projects Exposure to great responsibility and heavily involved in project develoment Support in Research Projects
Long working hour Poor Work/Life Balance Poor project management
- 3.0Nov 26, 2023ArchitectCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsNew York, NY
Good place to learn from some of the best minds in the industry with remarkable projects
long hours. benefits are just okay.
- 3.0Nov 16, 2023DesignerCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsChicago, IL
have strong competence in highrise building design, could help new grads to learn skill rapidly through one to two projects.
not very good work-life balance.
- 5.0Sep 5, 2023AssociateCurrent Employee, more than 8 yearsNew York, NY
Worked with the smartest people in the industry and around the world. Great collaborative environment.
Long hours, a lot of hard work. It pays off in some ways.
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill Reviews FAQs
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 676 reviews left anonymously by employees. 71% of employees would recommend working at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill to a friend and 67% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.
71% of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Skidmore, Owings & Merrill 2.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.