SkillPath Corporate Strategies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jack Cave

Pros
  • The amount of money you can make here is insane, considering it's an 8-5 sales position with a great work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits, healthy happy yet professional atmosphere, room to grow, excellent training (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • My niche was selling to Fortune 500 C-Level executives and this is a very different approach than nearly all other account managers (in 5 reviews)

• Really low pay and its contract so you get no bennefits and pay double social security tax (in 5 reviews)

1. "The only constant is change"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at SkillPath Corporate Strategies (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product that truly sales it self.
    The training is superb and will set you up for any sales job. Consultative selling is always the way to go for bigger better deals.
    Solid Base Salary
    Phenomenal health benefits and time off after the first year.
    Unlimited money making opportunity
    Solid ramp up time period
    Mentors who actually care
    Group listens to your call and assess how you can improve weekly
    System in place to keep you accountable
    Not a lot of CRM tools. If you know Sales Force and Zoom you you are good to go after training.
    Work Life Balance is great!

Cons

Building your own book of business is the smile and dial grind
    Cold call totally isn't dead (damn it) lol can't email your way through.
    Longer Sales cycle
    Takes time to ramp up and build your business. Therefore it takes awhile before you are making the real good money and you absolutely have to be patient and trust the process.

Advice to Management

I don't know what the heck was going on before, but it is clear from talks with tenured reps that things are constantly changing for the good. Management you are doing a great job at supporting and being transparent. I love that our new CEO is so open to discuss his vision and was comfortable getting to know us in our training setting. Nothing but good vibes here. But then again its only been three weeks haha.

"Senior management are a bunch bullies and hicks who play favorites"

Current Employee - General in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - General in Mission, KS

I have been working at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health benefits. Birthday and holiday parties are fun.

Cons

Management is so dysfunctional. Unprofessional. Foul language. Learn to speak good english so you don't sound like high school drop-outs.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites. Don't bully your staff. Work on pay equity for people who are not relatives of Senior management.

"The Daily Grind"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Mission, KS

I worked at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a great experience for an individual with zero professional sales experience; the training is very valuable (January Pointer is a great trainer and is the most valuable employee at SkillPath... She shines brighter than ever at SkillPath and is the sole reason why the company culture is bearable instead of absolutely terrible). The benefits are incredible since the organization is technically considered a not for profit organization (similar benefit setup to government entities/colleges/etc). SkillPath was flexible with the time you started/ended your day, as long as you were getting the work done and meeting your sales goals.

Cons

80 calls per day.... It takes a special type to be able to work this daily grind. It is a necessary driver for inexperienced/newer employees; however, after my 4-6 month mark it was actually hurting my sales figures. My niche was selling to Fortune 500 C-Level executives and this is a very different approach than nearly all other account managers. My sniper sales approach was well-researched, highly orchestrated calls/conversations instead of the shotgun sales approach (make 80+ blind calls/day and hope for the best)

I have vivid memories about the week when this terrible policy became apparent. The prior week was my best week at SkillPath, as I was able to land an on-site sales meeting with a local Fortune 500 organization. This was exciting for 2 key reasons: 1) this was a huge potential client that SkillPath had never partnered with 2) SkillPath is primarily an inside 'outside' sales role; nearly all work/meetings are held over the phone... And I had the rare opportunity for an on-site sales meeting... with a huge organization!
    Thank you for doing your part to keep Glassdoor the most trusted place to find a job and company you love. See the Community Guidelines for more details.

I spent several hours preparing, over the next week, for the on-site sales meeting. I was excited about the opportunity; also, excited that my VP of Sales was tagging along as well! All the hours preparing, not to mention the hours for the actual meeting and travel to/from, did prevent me from hitting my weekly call quota... by 1 call! (Expected: 400 vs. Actual: 399). I thought for sure that there would be some leniency... as I was overachieving in terms of the overall goal of putting myself/SkillPath in a position to increase overall sales.

I quickly realized that here was no such leniency.. as I was being directed to a small office to meet with HR. I was written up that day and it was idiotic and laughable; I honestly was waiting for a manager or my VP to swing-open the door with a big 'Just kidding!' or 'Ha! We totally had you going!' Not the case at all. That very day, I began searching for new career opportunities.

The ceiling is very low in terms of vertical/horizontal career advancement. Once an Account Manager, always an Account Manager.

If you're comfortable with a monotonous, daily grind then SkillPath is for you. Their benefits are excellent, salary is to be expected for a commission based sales role and the overall compensation fairly reciprocates hard work.

Advice to Management

Find new ways to 'drive' employees; especially employees that are exceeding all sales goals and continuously sparking interest from Fortune 100 organizations.

Find time to evaluate the brains/personalities across the parking... During my time, there were several Account Managers that could have seamlessly transitioned into position openings. The Account Managers feel like the black sheep of the organization due to absolutely no career advancement opportunities/transitions.

"They take care of the ones who work hard!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mission, KS

I have been working at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are very flexible with your time. I've been in a sales environment where it was 10-12 hours a day. This is a great company that provides you the opportunity to be home with your family every night. It's a great work/life balance. Compensation and benefits are the best I've ever had. I believe management is there to help and has always been there with anything I need. They have put into place a mentor program that helps the news sales account managers coming in. Overall they care about their employees and want them to succeed. After all if they don't succeed then neither do the managers.

The negative comments on here, as you will see, are all from former employees. I have never witnessed someone being let go that was actually DOING their job. We're in sales. It's not time for gossip hour. It's not time for you to get comfortable with the cushy base pay. It's time to work!

Cons

The only suggestion is more communication between departments. I feel some are siloed and we could benefit on suggestions to fix that. This happens within every company and is easily fixed with communication.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Remain upbeat and continue to show us you care. Provide knowledge and suggestions when we may seem to come up short.

"Unethical management and Hugh turnover"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Shawnee, KS

I worked at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

other than the base pay being higher than most outbound telemarketing sales jobs there is absolutely zero Pros that I can think of

Cons

Not even sure where to start with this company it was a mess from the beginning. During the interview process they made it sound like a perfect place to work with great benefits. When you get in for training you find out the reality. 95% of the people in training do not make it through. The management already has their favorites from the first day at least they did in my class. I actually heard them tell one guy that he had nothing to worry about because they liked him and they brought him out to lunch. Management will degrade you if you walk in 30 seconds late from lunch they will make you get up in front of everyone and sing children's songs from Yo Gabba Gabba. One of the worst experience of my life glad I had enough common sense to leave but definitely annoyed that they wasted my time

Advice to Management

No advice to management considering they are the problem and definitely won't change keep doing what you're doing and expect the overturn to keep being high

"Training consultant"

Current Employee - Training Consultant in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Training Consultant in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, healthy happy yet professional atmosphere, room to grow, excellent training. PS I'm a real live new hire not a manager, I saw were some people said that some of these reviews were fake, trust me I'm real! I think the company is trying to attract long term thinking/ future tenured reps instead of those people who jump sales positions. That is why they are more strict about stuff and I think it weeded out a lot of angry people. They are trying to rebuild and grow, you have to get the right people on the bus to do that.

Cons

Benefits don't kick in for two months, and you don't get hardly any paid vacation the first year. They give you 5 unpaid days to use in case something comes up. I think they are doing this to make sure people stay on for a while.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing I think the bad reviews are from people who expect a job not to be hard work. Only thing I wish is that I had had my benefits sooner and at least some automatic vacation starting off. I started right before the holidays and it was/is very difficult to be there for your family because of that.

"Great compensation, toxic culture."

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Shawnee, KS
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Shawnee, KS

I worked at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is great for the area as are the benefits. Additionally you get a cubicle with high walls. The recruiter will be quick to point out that employees are gifted with cubicles.

Cons

This "company" has technology and policies that are reminiscent of the 1990's. For example, account managers are required to make a certain number of calls per day in addition to meeting sales goals.

Additionally, new people are constantly churned and senior account managers get their accounts (and commissions) once they are fired. This is why there are a few glowing reviews on here. I'd be happy too if I could sit at my desk or smoke all and get gifted with fired employees' money as well. There was a comment about people parading their kids around and it's true. Nepotism is king here and you will realize it when you notice most senior account managers are dating or married to each other.

The managers are terrible people and the trainer is the worst. Case in point, she gives new hires some call recording machine with no instructions on how to use it and then berates an employee for not having thier call recorded. Managers are very petty and if you aren't in the inner circle (office relationship, smoker) you won't be successful here. I have seen excellent sales people purged by managers. They enjoy firing people and joke about it.

Advice to Management

Stop letting sales supervisors drink at their desks. Have them go through some of the training you sell and are so proud of. Stop blaming turnover on the talent pool and consider the things you could do to prevent some of it like actually developing sales people.

People aren't on here complaining about the goals or quotas so stop blaming the turnover on 'not everyone is cut out for sales'.

8. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Lenexa, KS

Pros

This company practices what they preach. They sell professional business training solutions, and once hired --- guess what? You go through a 3-4 weeks of paid training. This training is paramount to the position.

It's sales. Know what you're getting into before you apply. The job is monitored by job performance, as it should. You do get a starting salary of (19.24an hour x 40 x52 = $40,000. The commission structure is great too.

M-F work schedule. Or once out of training, you can choose 7-4, 8-5, 9-6, 10-7.
    You are required to hit your call metrics for the first 3-4 months at 250 a week. That's 50 a day, or 6 an hour.
    Casual dress code policy. Which I find weird, and yes sometimes you see sweatpants, but it doesn't matter.

Generous time off, work-life balance, friendly people, lot's of social activities and team-building opportunities.

If you follow their plan -- you'll be successful. Can you be coached? If so, you'll do great here. Control what you can: it's sales. Pick up the phone and dial. Can you call C-suite executives? Carry a conversation with anyone, follow the leads? Then you will do great. If not -- this isn't the role for you.

Cons

I haven't seen any red flags yet.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, maybe open up the opportunity to telecommute once a week like Friday's or something.

9. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mission, KS

Pros

SOO MANY!! I have never worked for such an amazing company. The people here are beyond helpful! The management is outstanding! They will help and coach you to the fullest!! The trainer is the best person I have ever met! She is so helpful and teaches you the ins and outs of this company. They really do prepare you for greatness. Besides the AMAZING PAY and BENEFITS! The atmosphere is awesome and I love that I wake up in the morning excited about work THE MANAGERS AND TRAINERS are the best you will ever have!!

Cons

NONE! You will never be disappointing working for this company!!

Advice to Management

Your all amazing

SkillPath Corporate Strategies Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Administrator

Thank you for the kind review and your enthusiasm-it's people like you that make this company great!

"This Place Is a joke"

Former Employee - Appointment Setter in Mission, KS
    Former Employee - Appointment Setter in Mission, KS

I worked at SkillPath Corporate Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

VERY nice recruiters seemed to be a friendly place insurance and benefits were Great.

Cons

They aren't flexible with new hires at all.
    The dress code is that of a high school
    I was over qualified for the position they started me in and said all new hires start in the same position for $14.50
    I was in training with a bunch of people who look like they never seen a college classroom

Advice to Management

Pay a real salary instead of the minimums and you will attract real talent

SkillPath Corporate Strategies Response

Nov 1, 2016 – Administrator

We appreciate your feedback. We are not a suit culture being an inside sales department. We also offer very competitive compensation plans in which our sales employees can thrive with uncapped ... More